U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM

141 posts, read 37,772 times

Advertisements

I searched on cataracts and found a couple of very long threads, but I'm not up for reading them right now--my eye hurts too much. So I hope no one minds if I start a new thread?

I may be having a bad experience, even though everyone told me it wasn't painful or a big deal. I had cataracts in both eyes--small ones, the doctor said. So I had the left one done a few weeks ago. They put me under. And it hurt! The next day when I went in, he said one of the stitches came out, and one was loose.

So I have had to wait a month before returning to the doctor, with steroid drops x4/day. I'm scared something horrible has happened.

It still hurts, eyesight is murky, headaches.

Without glasses: left eye sees better.
With glasses: right eye sees better.

I was so wanting to get it over quickly so I could buy some cute glasses (I went in to get a prescription, not knowing I had cataracts). Now I have to wait six weeks before even considering doing the right eye.

To make matters worse, the doctor is a "man of few words" type, who doesn't communicate much and treats me like I'm an ignorant idiot who would not understand his explanation if he gave it to me. I REALLY HATE THAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,855,267 times
Sorry you're having such a bad experience. Maybe you need to consult another doctor, one with a better bedside manner. A surgeon should be willing to address your concerns about the surgery. I think that most cataract surgeries aren't painful, but just cause a bit of discomfort for a day or 2.

I wonder if all of the eyedrops are causing your headaches? Mine caused a lot of post nasal drip and a sinus headache or two.

I had both eyes done, one in July and the other in August. No pain or complications. The only real difficulty for me was that being extremely nearsighted, the 4 weeks between the first and second surgeries was difficult, having 20/20 vision in one eye, but still being very myopic in the other was disorienting.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Yes, if it's not cleared up when I see him next (in three weeks), I'm not giving him another shot at me and will go to someone else. He actually jerked out the stitch that came out, at the follow-up visit the day after surgery.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:07 PM

667 posts, read 359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I searched on cataracts and found a couple of very long threads, but I'm not up for reading them right now--my eye hurts too much. So I hope no one minds if I start a new thread?

I may be having a bad experience, even though everyone told me it wasn't painful or a big deal. I had cataracts in both eyes--small ones, the doctor said. So I had the left one done a few weeks ago. They put me under. And it hurt! The next day when I went in, he said one of the stitches came out, and one was loose.

So I have had to wait a month before returning to the doctor, with steroid drops x4/day. I'm scared something horrible has happened.

It still hurts, eyesight is murky, headaches.

Without glasses: left eye sees better.
With glasses: right eye sees better.

I was so wanting to get it over quickly so I could buy some cute glasses (I went in to get a prescription, not knowing I had cataracts). Now I have to wait six weeks before even considering doing the right eye.

To make matters worse, the doctor is a "man of few words" type, who doesn't communicate much and treats me like I'm an ignorant idiot who would not understand his explanation if he gave it to me. I REALLY HATE THAT.
sorry about the difficulties. one small suggestion is to have the left lens removed from your glasses. i did that between surgeries. i think others here have done the same.

and yeah, maybe a different at least due to his "bedside" manner.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
sorry about the difficulties. one small suggestion is to have the left lens removed from your glasses. i did that between surgeries. i think others here have done the same.

and yeah, maybe a different at least due to his "bedside" manner.
I tried removing one lens from my glasses. Didn't work for me, the corrected eye with the lens implant made objects appear bigger and closer than the eye with the eyeglass lens. I guess it would work for someone less myopic though.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yes, if it's not cleared up when I see him next (in three weeks), I'm not giving him another shot at me and will go to someone else. He actually jerked out the stitch that came out, at the follow-up visit the day after surgery.
I don't even know if I had stitches, if I did they were the self dissolving type. It sounds like your surgeon is using outdated methods.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:33 PM

1,271 posts, read 340,148 times
You could get a second opinion now and let them look at the healing eye at the same time. There are stitches and if one untied, that's the one he took out rather than have it bother you. The other dissolved, like all of ours does.

The very uneven vision can cause headaches, even nausea. What I did at home was just fold a tissue and put it behind the lens of the glasses on the eye I didn't want to use. One side for outside, one for reading, PitA, but a good doctor will never do both eyes at once in case of infection. It's too easy to spread from one eye to the other.

I had pain from not the eye, but the injection underneath - wow, like a railroad spike, turned my face black and blue, but the pain didn't last past the first day. If you have pain IN THE EYE, you need to call the guy and tell him.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 AM

I'm making an appointment for a second opinion today. I hate to change horses in mid-stream but on a list of ophthalmologists in my city, Mr. No-talk is the top of the list, having practiced for nearly 50 years. He needs to retire already.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Did get an appointment for a second opinion. Young dr. Wish me luck!!

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-06-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM

1,983 posts, read 701,985 times
Always get a second opinion. It saved my husband from premature cataract surgery. The better reputation doctor told him he was at least 10 years from needing surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness