U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:14 PM

6,988 posts, read 1,736,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Yes, retired in my 20s living a frugal lifestyle. There was a huge thread about my situation in the financial forum.

I couldn't find that thread and very curious. Could you put a link up to it. I'm only somewhat frugal, but again very curious how you did it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 AM

105 posts, read 69,423 times
Live the good life on $20k/year - retire in your 20s or 30s?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 AM

6,767 posts, read 11,287,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgator View Post
Highly entertaining, I suggest you read

Eddiehaskell, you are leech to society. Grow up, get a job and be a responsible adult.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:34 AM

9,790 posts, read 7,027,543 times
I think if you are stop working at 20 and depend on others to survive then it's not called "retiring" lol

Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 AM
46H

586 posts, read 308,509 times
I am a 6 hour a night sleeper. Occasionally I will go to 7 if I do not have to wake up. My wife needs 8 hours and I usually go to bed 2 hours after her so we wake up at the same time. I have never been able to sleep long hours. When I was in grade school, I remember the light going out at 8:30pm and me not falling asleep until after 10pm and some times 11pm. I was always looking for hints on how to fall asleep. My sisters can easily sleep for 9-10 hours and my brother sleeps for 8.
Whenever we vacation together, I am always the one putting out the lights at night and making the coffee the next morning.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 AM

9,891 posts, read 4,809,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Why do you believe the above?

Casting a pejorative stance on 10-hour sleepers is wrong. Sleep your 9 hours, and let 10 hour sleepers do what feels best to them.

Why do you think it is necessary to have such a strict unwavering standard without deviation?

(and your 9 hours is not that much less than 10 hours!)

Disapproval and completely unnecessary judgments over other people's sleeping length is unnecessary. And people used to be told 10 hours of sleep is positive and the goal years ago.

And having various medical conditions in one's older years can make more sleep soothing to the body and its maladies.
Why is it necessarily a pejorative? Sleeping 10 hours on a consistent basis is very unusual - certainly for a young adult who is healthy. Which begs the question - perhaps he is NOT healthy. And he is obviously concerned on some level or he wouldn't be asking. Maybe that's why we are all here discussing it...

Old 09-08-2017, 11:15 AM

8,289 posts, read 2,724,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think if you are stop working at 20 and depend on others to survive then it's not called "retiring" lol
Thinking the same thing here, life is just beginning at 20's and one retires...

Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
Quote:
Since I was a kid, the hardest thing in life was waking up in the morning. My brain does everything in its power to NOT shut down, but when it does, I'm out for 10-11 hours. That means I could be perfectly alert and ready to do anything at 6am yet ready for bed at 8am....and sleep until 5-6pm. This erratic sleep style partially helped motivate me to retire early (in my 20s) so that I could naturally pass out at any time and wake up naturally without an alarm clock. Once in a while I can even sleep for 12 hours. I sometimes try an alarm clock, but I wake up in a fog and turn it off. It's like deep down in my brain I know that I don't HAVE TO wake up.

I have friends and family that are apparently functional and refreshed on as little as 5 hours sleep. I sorta wish I could do that because it would give me 5 extra hours to do what I want. It makes me wonder what causes me to need double the amount of sleep.

Anyway, how much can you get by on? Anyone else a 10+ hour sleeper if your schedule permits?
First of all, I have heard it said by professionals, there are people who think they function on as little as 5 hours but chances are they really do not function as well as they think. 10 hours, that is a bit much. I do know, especially as I get older 9 hours is my perfect point. I have always loved my sleep, I can do fine on 8 and even 7, but I love by 9 hours. I do not take naps, even at 80plus years old and I usually get up about 5am; I am at my best in the mornings. I might have aches and pains when first getting up, which is par for the course at my age but I still am filled with energy if I have gotten enough sleep. I do think everyone's body is different.

I have to wonder though, if part of the reason you sleep so much is an early retirement and not much to do or are you involved in the community?

Last edited by nmnita; 09-08-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 02:00 PM

2,576 posts, read 2,242,039 times
About seven hours is the least I can feel human with. Ten hours is about my norm. I've slept 16-20 hours when I've had to catch up. It's genetic. My mom's side of the family is like this. I was never good at pulling an all nighter.

In the OP's case, I would still try to get on a schedule even if you don't have to do a regular scheduled job. It's easy to lose touch with what is going on in the world around you if you don't have some sort of consistency.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:42 PM

25,523 posts, read 40,564,832 times
Quote:
I don't feel tired once I'm up. I do have trouble going to sleep because I don't want to go to sleep. I get caught up in reading/researching something until the point where I basically pass out. It's like I have a phobia of having a strict "bed time".
Quote:
Wow. That sounds just like me in school. I think I went to school 90% of the time on maybe 2 hours of sleep. MANY nights I'd just lay in bed all night dreading how close is was getting to morning and wonder why the hell I wasn't sleepy. I'd often go to school and play sports on absolutely no sleep (feels like you're living in a fog). The nights I'd fall asleep at say 5am were probably the worst because I'd have to wake up at 6:45...and like you, I was using all kinds of tricks to just get a few more minutes of sleep (often late for school). Once I got to school though and got my blood pumping, I wasn't one of the kids that could sleep in class

I also did late classes in college. Nothing before 11am, but mostly night classes.
You sound a lot like me, and I've been diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS). Unfortunately I am NOT retired, so have learned instead to live on 3-4 hours of sleep - at least on work nights/days. Thankfully my job has late-ish start hours, or I'd be getting ZERO sleep, since my usual "bedtime" is between 6-7am. If you don't need to be anywhere at any particular time, I guess just let your body do what it wants? But if this is something you want to fix, try a sleep clinic that specializes in DSPS and other circadian rhythm disorders.

https://www.circadiansleepdisorders....DSPS-QandA.php

https://www.sleepassociation.org/pat...hase-syndrome/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness