U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:13 PM

2,968 posts, read 1,841,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Why is it necessarily a pejorative? Sleeping 10 hours on a consistent basis is very unusual - certainly for a young adult who is healthy. Which begs the question - perhaps he is NOT healthy. And he is obviously concerned on some level or he wouldn't be asking. Maybe that's why we are all here discussing it...
Sleeping 10 hours is not "very unusual" at all. It's just that people are reluctant to admit they sleep 10 hours (or more) because in our U.S. culture sleeping for that amount is shamed and looked down upon.

There are plenty of people who sleep those hours - and lately more people are admitting it. The head of HuffPost started a movement to respect sleeping because it had become a badge of honor in U.S. culture to not sleep much.

You even sleep up to 9 hours, as you stated.

Many people cannot sleep longer hours because of the regiment of holding down a job or taking care of children.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-08-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 03:17 PM

1,130 posts, read 522,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
During the week I may get 4-6, but it's not enough, usually I'm pretty tired by Friday.

If I get 7 solid hours, I feel great.
Same here, I usually get 6 hours a night and some catch up sleep on the weekends.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:32 PM

2,968 posts, read 1,841,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy53420 View Post

Same here, I usually get 6 hours a night and some catch up sleep on the weekends.
It would be helpful to know the age of posters in this thread, and whether they are holding down a job.

People who are working or have long commutes often have shorter sleep spans due to the regiment of working.

When I was working, I got only 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:02 PM

10,424 posts, read 5,334,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Highly entertaining, I suggest you read

Eddiehaskell, you are leech to society. Grow up, get a job and be a responsible adult.
I pay my taxes and obey the law - how is that being a leech? Sounds similar to 5 hour sleepers calling 10 hour sleepers lazy bums.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think if you are stop working at 20 and depend on others to survive then it's not called "retiring" lol
Who do I depend on?

Old 09-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why is it necessarily a pejorative? Sleeping 10 hours on a consistent basis is very unusual - certainly for a young adult who is healthy. Which begs the question - perhaps he is NOT healthy. And he is obviously concerned on some level or he wouldn't be asking. Maybe that's why we are all here discussing it...
I have a resting heart rate of 50, lift weights 3-4 days a week, play full court basketball several days, no meds, and 9-10% body fat. I think I'm physically healthy (knock on wood). I just wonder if it's ok or somewhat common to not have what most consider an internal clock.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You sound a lot like me, and I've been diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS). Unfortunately I am NOT retired, so have learned instead to live on 3-4 hours of sleep - at least on work nights/days. Thankfully my job has late-ish start hours, or I'd be getting ZERO sleep, since my usual "bedtime" is between 6-7am. If you don't need to be anywhere at any particular time, I guess just let your body do what it wants? But if this is something you want to fix, try a sleep clinic that specializes in DSPS and other circadian rhythm disorders.

https://www.circadiansleepdisorders....DSPS-QandA.php

https://www.sleepassociation.org/pat...hase-syndrome/
Ouch. I know it's gotta be rough on you to only get 3-4 hours. When I had to live in the scheduled world, I'd sleep 12-15 hours on the off days (maybe 5am-7pm or so). However, that sorta sucks because by the time you take a shower and get ready, stores are closing and the day is starting to wind down for most folks.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. At least I now have an idea of what may be going on. I couldn't imagine going back to work at this point. I absolutely love being able to get my sleep at the odd hours I fall asleep.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 PM

8,387 posts, read 2,751,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have a resting heart rate of 50, lift weights 3-4 days a week, play full court basketball several days, no meds, and 9-10% body fat. I think I'm physically healthy (knock on wood). I just wonder if it's ok or somewhat common to not have what most consider an internal clock.
Do you have any interests like giving Service to others, or volunteering in your unusual retirement life?

I didn't read your LONG thread but wonder bottom line how you pay rent, eat and how long you been retired.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Do you have any interests like giving Service to others, or volunteering in your unusual retirement life?

I didn't read your LONG thread but wonder bottom line how you pay rent, eat and how long you been retired.
I don't really have any interest in that. I feel empathy towards people but not really motivated to "give service". I'll help someone do something if they ask though (no $$ loans though).

I don't have rent (bought home outright during the foreclosure mess). My food bill is only about $300-400/month...maybe less since I stopped eating out.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 PM

2,133 posts, read 496,746 times
9 hours here when poss - my head feels like its 'drugged up' prior to that -it takes me an hour to fully wake up .

same as the OP - have trouble going to sleep to and staying up/waking up erratic hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness