U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

9,960 posts, read 5,046,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The problem - if I can use that term - is children grow. Boys have their expenses; girls have theirs.

I grew up in the rural South and grew up very poorly. I would not want to repeat the experience. You would not believe what was said to me about my inadequate clothing.
Don't do that to a child simply because it means you can stay in bed and not work.
Like anything (cars, homes, vacations, etc), children are often as expensive as you make them. With enough parental guidance/attention, I think it's possible to raise good people frugally. Limited parental attention/love/guidance and you'll likely need to shell out more money for things like high quality sitters, schools, neighborhoods and material goods to prove your love. As far as clothing, I wouldn't dress a kid in rags - the 2nd hand children's stores sell gently used clothing/toys for something like 75% off. Young kids grow out of clothes in 3-4 months so buying used isn't equivalent to buying used adult clothing that may be 10-20 years old. In my family it seems like a lot of children's clothing is passed on to whoever has the next kid. Kids seem pretty indifferent to what they wear until around 8-9 years old...believe I was in 5th or 6th grade when I started to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:29 PM

7,963 posts, read 5,557,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
......... Kids seem pretty indifferent to what they wear until around 8-9 years old...believe I was in 5th or 6th grade when I started to care.
Probably right.
But what then? THEN are you going to suddenly go out and get a job that will sustain a family?

Never mind.. Rhetorical discussion anyway.

BOL!

Old Today, 01:55 PM

1,827 posts, read 490,444 times
You preferred to drop out of the workaday world, rather than see a doctor to ask if you might have a medical problem? You're asking here about "normal," but any quick internet search would immedoiately tell you that 10 hours is outside the norm.

Old Today, 02:04 PM

10,160 posts, read 8,001,468 times
Quote:
Like anything (cars, homes, vacations, etc), children are often as expensive as you make them. With enough parental guidance/attention, I think it's possible to raise good people frugally. Limited parental attention/love/guidance and you'll likely need to shell out more money for things like high quality sitters, schools, neighborhoods and material goods to prove your love. As far as clothing, I wouldn't dress a kid in rags - the 2nd hand children's stores sell gently used clothing/toys for something like 75% off. Young kids grow out of clothes in 3-4 months so buying used isn't equivalent to buying used adult clothing that may be 10-20 years old. In my family it seems like a lot of children's clothing is passed on to whoever has the next kid. Kids seem pretty indifferent to what they wear until around 8-9 years old...believe I was in 5th or 6th grade when I started to care.
Go check the threads on back to school supplies. They are really eye opening. In many areas, parents are spending hundreds on school supplies. The kids need them. There's no way around.

I went a decent school and briefly went to a horrible school. The difference was amazing to me even as a fifth grader. The ghetto school was over a full grade behind me. They were teaching what I learned the year before. Luckily I went back to the decent school 4 months later. In just 4 months I was so behind. I was learning the previous grade. I did catch up, but it took awhile. That ghetto school I went to briefly had horrible graduation rates. So bad that the state shut it down. So yes schools absolutely make a difference in a child's life and shapes their entire life.

What does any of this have to do with sleeping all day?

Old Today, 02:19 PM

1,674 posts, read 3,310,649 times
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iGNlFTmc8p3JJQ

The amount of sleep per individual varies. I sleep anywhere from 8 to 10 hours a night. I am older but have always slept for longer periods of time then others. I dream vivid dreams in dramtic colors. Sometimes I will realize I'm dreaming but I'm not into lucid dreaming.

I take care of my brain. I'm into the cognitive field. I teach individual nutrition plans and help people with their diets including overall health plans.

Individual responses to your quesiton varied and some were as if written in stone (because it is for them). What's good for one person doesn't mean it's good for another.

Beware of online aritcles/blogs on sleep. Always check your resource and make sure your reading from a reputable source. Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, studies by major universities, etc..., juried posts. Beware of stats also since you can give me stats on anything and I will be able to dispute those stats with another opposing set of stats.

If you can put a question on this forum; you can look up sleep studies of how much sleep is too much sleep .

Old Today, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Go check the threads on back to school supplies. They are really eye opening. In many areas, parents are spending hundreds on school supplies. The kids need them. There's no way around.

I went a decent school and briefly went to a horrible school. The difference was amazing to me even as a fifth grader. The ghetto school was over a full grade behind me. They were teaching what I learned the year before. Luckily I went back to the decent school 4 months later. In just 4 months I was so behind. I was learning the previous grade. I did catch up, but it took awhile. That ghetto school I went to briefly had horrible graduation rates. So bad that the state shut it down. So yes schools absolutely make a difference in a child's life and shapes their entire life.

What does any of this have to do with sleeping all day?
NEED them? Schools around here require about $30 worth of supplies. Perhaps those living in very wealthy areas can demand more expensive supplies (perhaps iPads, certain laptops, etc), but around here, the county/teachers know they serve people ranging from poverty to upper middle class.

And there's a large middle ground between "ghetto" and schools that serve the 1%. PLENTY of good schools in very low cost working class areas.

Old Today, 06:18 PM

10,160 posts, read 8,001,468 times
Quote:
NEED them? Schools around here require about $30 worth of supplies. Perhaps those living in very wealthy areas can demand more expensive supplies (perhaps iPads, certain laptops, etc), but around here, the county/teachers know they serve people ranging from poverty to upper middle class.

And there's a large middle ground between "ghetto" and schools that serve the 1%. PLENTY of good schools in very low cost working class areas.
Many schools do not provide items for students to use such as notebooks, pens, index cards, etc. some schools have parents pay fees for art and lab fees for science classes. If you don't have kids or are friends with teachers you probably don't really have any idea. I talked to a few different teachers I'm friends with who each work in different schools teaching different topics in different grades. It was amazing the differences in the school supply lists. Once the students need a $100 calculator you're $30 is out the window.

I'm not talking about ghetto schools or the top 1%. These are regular run of the mill schools. Some are in rural areas, some suburbs, and some urban. Drastic differences.

If you spend all day sleeping how are you ever going to find someone to have a child with? Who wants to date someone who insists on living on $10k a year? Who wants to date someone who claims to be retired in their 20's? How can you go out and do things when you sleep all day and have no money? Sounds like a catch!

Old Today, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Probably right.
But what then? THEN are you going to suddenly go out and get a job that will sustain a family?

Never mind.. Rhetorical discussion anyway.

BOL!
Haha - I'll be forced to get a job to put clothing on a 10 year old? LOL. I grew up with my parents spending maybe $120 on clothes to begin school (pants x4, shirt x4), $60-70 on Christmas clothes (maybe a few cool "extra" things I wanted) and then another $100 for spring/summer clothes (shorts x3, tees/polos x4 or 5). All clothes were bought a little big so they sometimes made it to the next school year.

Judging by some people's idea of "needs", I get the feeling they are raising spoiled/entitled/materialistic children. Not speaking of anyone here in particular though.

Old Today, 06:52 PM

15,455 posts, read 17,266,414 times
I sleep anywhere for 8 to 10 hours. Been like this since I am a kid, I am 46 years old. Don't have kids but I have a husband who's sleep patterns are horrible. He goes to bed sometimes at 11 pm and wakes up at 3 am and can't fall back asleep, other times he's go to bed at 10 pm and sleep through the night until about 7 am. He has had sleep issues most of his life. I don't have to be at work until 9 am and my job is a few minutes away so I get up between 7 am and 7:30 am. I am usually in bed on work nights around 10 pm and weekends 11pm.

Old Today, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Many schools do not provide items for students to use such as notebooks, pens, index cards, etc. some schools have parents pay fees for art and lab fees for science classes. If you don't have kids or are friends with teachers you probably don't really have any idea. I talked to a few different teachers I'm friends with who each work in different schools teaching different topics in different grades. It was amazing the differences in the school supply lists. Once the students need a $100 calculator you're $30 is out the window.

I'm not talking about ghetto schools or the top 1%. These are regular run of the mill schools. Some are in rural areas, some suburbs, and some urban. Drastic differences.

If you spend all day sleeping how are you ever going to find someone to have a child with? Who wants to date someone who insists on living on $10k a year? Who wants to date someone who claims to be retired in their 20's? How can you go out and do things when you sleep all day and have no money? Sounds like a catch!
2017 supply list for 5th grade where I went:

Spiral Notebook Wide Ruled - 1 Subject
1" 3-Ring Binder
Write On Dividers
pack, for binder
Filler Paper, Wide Ruled
pack, loose leaf
Facial Tissues - Box(es)
Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
container
Pocket Folders, Plastic
Pencil Bag/Pouch
(pencil pouch), (not a box)
Box(es) of Crayons
or colored pencils
#2 Pencils, 24 Pack
Glue Sticks
pack of 12
Ear buds

What's that $25? I have several teachers in the family, plenty of young cousins and I've even substituted at schools around the county. Trust me, teachers are happy if all students just show up with the bare minimum. They aren't putting any extravagant demands on parents because they know many of them simply cannot afford it.

Yeah, sure, some expensive TI-whatever calculator may be required at some point, but stuff like this isn't an everyday expense. Any teacher worth their salt will have a general idea of what parents can afford. If they don't, they'll likely have parents ringing the phone off the hook with complaints.

To be frank, I've already found several women that wanted my seed, lol. And why would a woman need to live on $10k/year? She can live on 100k/year if she works and makes enough money. Are you implying that all women are materialistic money-grubbers? I'd honestly hate to think that my wealth plays a large role in someone being attracted to me.

Why do you think I have no money? I have a large nest egg, $20k/year passive income and I live on less than $10k. I can easily afford to spend money, but only on things that I feel are worth spending money on. For those blinded by consumerism, not spending money on every trinket catching their eye may seem extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness