U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

7,026 posts, read 2,196,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
People are depressed because they can't get narcotic painkillers anymore.
Those narcotic painkillers have horrific side effects. I so so so so happy to be rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

9,223 posts, read 4,387,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter was diagnosed bio-polar at 21 when she checked herself in the hospital because she wanted to commit suicide. On all different anti-depressants for 3 years. Then her doctor prescribed Prozac. Kept getting more and more depressed on them. One night she went down into the kitchen and was about to cut her wrists, when her BRAIN took over. "I am taking "happy pills" but still want to kill myself"? She dumped all her pills, and never looked back, or went to any doctors for anti-depressants since. Seventeen years have passed. So where is her bio-polar now????? She tells me her new treatment is learning how to cry in her pillow, cleaning her entire house, or going out jogging. Plus, a lot of LOVE from her wife.

Remember that German Airline Pilot, also on Prozac, who slammed his plane into the Alps, not only committing suicide himself but killing 100 innocent people as well? Yet, they now are prescribing anti-depressants for menopausal women with hot flashes? Buy a fan and use ice packs. LISTEN to those adverse reactions that they must talk about on TV. "Thoughts of Suicide". Kinda counter productive, don't ya think?

It it all part of the American psyche that is must a pill for everyone, and everything that bothers you.
Or maybe Prozac is not the ONLY pill for everyone? There are a dozen antibiotics - why is that not an issue that the same doesn't work for all?

You may have to try several to find one that works for you. I'm glad your daughter is trying ANOTHER treatment 17 years later...sounds like a very long struggle that yet continues.

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Or maybe Prozac is not the ONLY pill for everyone? There are a dozen antibiotics - why is that not an issue that the same doesn't work for all?

You may have to try several to find one that works for you. I'm glad your daughter is trying ANOTHER treatment 17 years later...sounds like a very long struggle that yet continues.

I read that Jo's daughter found her fixes...she is not taking the drugs. She found what worked for her and her life. Did I read it incorrectly. We all seem to read different things I noted around here.

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
bg7

6,943 posts, read 6,353,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Those narcotic painkillers have horrific side effects. I so so so so happy to be rid of them.
Well that's nice for you. However, there are some people who live in intractable pain.
Of them, a subset only really respond to opioid receptor agonists. Its their only relief from pain and many consider the side effects as certainly worth the removal of the pain.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Well that's nice for you. However, there are some people who live in intractable pain.
Of them, a subset only really respond to opioid receptor agonists. Its their only relief from pain and many consider the side effects as certainly worth the removal of the pain.
Well, I took them for some months and never got rid of much pain, but oh the side effects.. Found iburporfen did just as good and 1000% less side effects. Whatever one thinks works, go at it.

With the opioids, I found the doctors pushing drugs for constipation, drugs for nausea so yeah they are great for pharma. I refused the meds, for constipation I took more magnesium, for nausea, I got a friend bring me baking soda for stomach relief...

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

579 posts, read 156,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It it all part of the American psyche that is must a pill for everyone, and everything that bothers you.
So based on two cases you have determined that an entire society has been willingly victimized? You must feel omnipotent. Guess I will know who to call the next time a dear lifelong friend spends the next 6 months in her next BP low. She is the bravest person I know. Be very glad you are not in her shoes. I doubt you could survive it.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Since we've gotten to bipolar here. Digest this info and pass it on to others who suffer...could HELP.

About bipolar disorder (manic depression)

So much can help besides popping the drugs.

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

9,418 posts, read 9,306,529 times
Quote:
So I'm not there yet but may be in the next couple of years as age sets in. In moderate pain now which I take naproxen for. So what are these horrible side effects you got, jamin?

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So I'm not there yet but may be in the next couple of years as age sets in. In moderate pain now which I take naproxen for. So what are these horrible side effects you got, jamin?
Why anticipate pain setting in for starters. BTW: How old are you. If you don't mind telling, I'm 79 and proud of it.

Oxy side effects for my body were: CONSTIPATION, FATIGUE, NAUSEA

I have a friend who has been taking script version of naproxen for many years, arthritis issues, several back surgeries and never had issues SHE SAYS with Naprosyn. I don't see how people don't have issues but maybe she's the exception. This med is known to elevate blood pressure.

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

1,781 posts, read 723,726 times
Quote:
Well, I took them for some months and never got rid of much pain, but oh the side effects.. Found iburporfen did just as good and 1000% less side effects. Whatever one thinks works, go at it.

With the opioids, I found the doctors pushing drugs for constipation, drugs for nausea so yeah they are great for pharma. I refused the meds, for constipation I took more magnesium, for nausea, I got a friend bring me baking soda for stomach relief...
PUSHING drugs is a bit much. Offering meds for potential side effects from pain meds isn't "pushing" anything.

Curious why you even go to the doctor or especially the hospital if you have every remedy known to man?

I had heart surgery. Ibuprofen didn't work. I assure you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness