Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 12:13 PM

472 posts, read 437,793 times

Advertisements

I've been very tired lately and after a visit to my cardiologist, he ruled out my heart as a potential reason for my tiredness and recommended I get a sleep study done to check for sleep apnea. Just wondering if you have ever had one done? If so, how was it done and what did you think of it? Did you have to go to a clinic to sleep or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I had one a long time ago. Yes I had to go to a sleep clinic. They started the study around 9 or 10 pm and by 6 am I was on my way home.

They connect you to a bunch of wires and monitor you as you sleep. If there are problems (i.e. sleep apnea) they may come in and connect you to a CPAP machine to see if your problems get better. But they may not do that...it depends on the clinic.

You can ask your doctor for a mild sedative to help you sleep if you have trouble going to sleep in a strange place.

It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but it's not terrifying or painful.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have had 3. I fell asleep quite fast. I have had a significant weight loss, 100 lbs, but still need CPAP. Then I developed restless leg syndrome. Nothing to it! But taking a sleep aid will invalidate the results.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:17 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
I recently had a home sleep study. If the medical practitioner is only looking for obstructive sleep apnea then IMO, the home study will suffice. However, if you have other potential problems such as central sleep apnea, restless legs, etc. then a sleep center may be your only choice.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
Getting one Later this month. I snore too much.
Mae

Old 09-09-2017, 07:24 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Several times here. Also a few where they have you stay most of the day and take naps at certain intervals, and study you then, too.

It's not a big deal, you get out early and can shower there if you like or go home and shower, and immediately resume your life. It's quiet and comfortable. They monitor your brain waves to see when and for how long you go into the different stages of sleep. They monitor your blood oxygen level, breathing, and heart rate. All of this is relevant. Do a search on sleep apnea and sleep studies which can explain it better than I can, without getting into too much neurology that I certainly don't know.

They even do it on children, and have room for parents to stay if desired. Usually there's a water cooler, a fridge, and a vending machine. I cannot imagine any doctor prescribing a sedative, though, since to my knowledge that would alter the results. Then again, everyone is different, and I am not a neurologist, there could be extenuating circumstances.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
I have had three done. Nothing to it. The people who do it are very nice-knowledgeable, and the place I go to is very comfortable. I take half a sedative each time and it does not effect the test. They know before hand that I take one and are fine with it. If it were an issue they would not let me. I use the Sleep Doctor. They are the folks who worked on the "The Biggest Loser" with participants. I highly recommend people get a sleep study if they are having problems. If I do not wear my CPAP - I do stop breathing. It scares my husband. I'm not a big woman, and it's not always about weight when you have obstruction. Hope that helped.

People die from this in their sleep. Many do not know they even have it. Get the test!

Old 09-10-2017, 11:50 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Seems like everyone over 50 needs to be concerned about sleep apnea. The risks are significant. Talking to your GP would be a good idea.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Had a study done, they send you home with some apparatus to hook up before you go to sleep,it records a bunch of stuff that the tech reads next day, in my case i was actually stopping sleeping 88 times per night, cure? $2500 CPAP machine. Been using this CPAP machine for 10 years now, wife is happy as i dont snore anymore.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:21 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Yes I did one at home. It was pretty easy. I had to go to the "clinic" at 6 PM the night before. They hooked me up and told me how to use the machine. At 9 PM when I went to bed I turned it on and put in the nasal cannula. At 6 AM I stopped it and dropped it off at the clinic (they had a shute to put it in when no one was there). I did all of this on a weekend.

My experience was that my doctor was obsessed with me having sleep apnea. When she told me I had it I didn't believe her and got my own results. And imho, I don't -- thought she was technically right. There is a "medicare" scale that scores you. It starts at like 75 and goes up to like 300+. My report had me at 76. But, if you looked at the detail it said that they scored several things as apnea that could have been my simply getting up to go to the bathroom. But out of an abundance of caution they scored everything as an apena.

They did say that the home test was not as accurate as a clinic one but it could be a jumping off point if the results came back showing you did have apnea.

My sister had hers done at a sleep clinic and it was off the charts. 300+ so she got a cpap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness