U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 35,063,437 times

Advertisements

Was talking to my bro and the subject of my fat belly came up,i said the belly is not soft but hard, he suggested i might have something called bloat. first time i'd ever heard of the condition, any one familiar with this affliction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 PM

12,921 posts, read 13,198,875 times
Yeah, I eat too many carbs and I retain water like a mad-dog, my pants get tight and my face shows it. Too much salt also, makes me look like a Bloatmonster.

Last edited by tickyul; 09-07-2017 at 08:32 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 10:45 PM

10,288 posts, read 16,563,492 times
Bloating in animals generally refers to having too much gas in the abdomen. If you think excess gas is your problem, activated charcoal capsules might help.

Retaining water can be a sign that your liver isn't doing what it's supposed to. My father in law was a small man with a huge belly, and he had something wrong with his heart that caused him to retain huge amounts of water.

It's more likely that your hard belly fat is visceral fat, which is fat around your organs and underneath your abdominal muscles, rather than the jiggly kind of fat that's just under the skin.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 AM

30,896 posts, read 35,063,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

It's more likely that your hard belly fat is visceral fat, which is fat around your organs and underneath your abdominal muscles, rather than the jiggly kind of fat that's just under the skin.

I'm only fat in the belly,the rest of the body there is no fat, so if this is visceral fat how do i get rid of it?
My brother says eat lots of ginger.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,093,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm only fat in the belly,the rest of the body there is no fat, so if this is visceral fat how do i get rid of it?
There really is not a magic food that eliminates fat from a certain area of the body. You just need to reduce overall calories and hope that your body starts to drop weight from there. You can add in the ginger and any other food that is supposed to be good for that type of fat and then hope for the best. But remember, if you are eating too many calories for it wont matter what you eat.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM

12,921 posts, read 13,198,875 times
Quote:

Carbs, cut your carbs WAY down and you will, over time, shed most if not all of your excess bodyfat.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:22 PM

13,474 posts, read 5,341,190 times
Quote:
Was talking to my bro and the subject of my fat belly came up,i said the belly is not soft but hard, he suggested i might have something called bloat. first time i'd ever heard of the condition, any one familiar with this affliction?
Yup. I have irritable bowel syndrome, and when my gut is acting up, I bloat up enough that there is a 4-5" gap between my jeans button and its buttonhole. And my belly is hard.

When I'm not having an attack, the same jeans button up comfortably and my belly is soft.

Bloat is a symptom, not a thing in itself. My bloat is a consequence of IBS, there may be another reason for yours. For some women, bloat is a predictable part of their monthly cycle.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,093,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Carbs, cut your carbs WAY down and you will, over time, shed most if not all of your excess bodyfat.
False.

If you eat over a certain amount of calories you will not lose weight and you may gain weight, regardless if they are carbs or not. You need to burn more calories than you consume no matter what type of food you are eating. The benefit of lowering carbs comes from satiety. People tend to eat less when they eat more protein and fat. And if you diabetic this type of eating helps maintain blood sugar.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:08 AM

19,341 posts, read 32,209,625 times
Quote:
Go with the modified paleo diet meaning: vegetables, fruits, lean meats, some starches, and less grains (no wheat at all). It sure sounds like weight retention due to negative properties of modern wheat consumption to me.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:28 PM

19,341 posts, read 32,209,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
False.

If you eat over a certain amount of calories you will not lose weight and you may gain weight, regardless if they are carbs or not. You need to burn more calories than you consume no matter what type of food you are eating. The benefit of lowering carbs comes from satiety. People tend to eat less when they eat more protein and fat. And if you diabetic this type of eating helps maintain blood sugar.
That is why a modified paleo diet is a good choice for those to lose weight. You can substitute oats for any wheat and also be satiated, as modern wheat does the majority of the populace no good at all in terms of deleterious health implications. I have to be gluten-free, but also discovered the modified paleo diet and it also works great in combination with the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness