U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:44 PM

98 posts, read 39,808 times

Advertisements

I have them done yearly, with contrast. No reaction, however I cant do CT contrast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:24 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,434,522 times
I've had it done because of the aneurysm I had. It really wasn't any big deal. I guess, though, when you consider the alternative, which in my case was not having a CT with contrast and not finding out if I had another aneurysm or if the one I had was leaking, then having a CT contrast was the least of my worries.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 PM

470 posts, read 202,832 times
I've had around 10 MRI's with contrast in the last two years (thanks, sinus cancer!) It's no big deal. The blood test is to make sure your kidney function is adequate to excrete the contrast solution. Keep in mind that if they didn't think the contrast would give better images, you wouldn't be prescribed that particular scan.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 PM

186 posts, read 31,358 times
I have had 6 brain MRIs with gadolinium since 2012.

No ill effects.

Oh, I glow faintly when I turn out the lights.

Just kidding.

Don't sweat it. That stuff is harmless. Unless you already have bad kidneys but you should be getting a lab test to check that out beforehand.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I have had 6 brain MRIs with gadolinium since 2012.

No ill effects.

Oh, I glow faintly when I turn out the lights.

Just kidding.

Don't sweat it. That stuff is harmless. Unless you already have bad kidneys but you should be getting a lab test to check that out beforehand.
You know, you really should deal with that glowing problem. You've added 2748 new UFO reports in the last year alone.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,869,939 times
Today's the day. Thanks everyone for your reassuring comments. Much appreciated. I think I'm gonna be okay.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 PM

OF course you'll be all right. Come back and tell us what happened - we'd like to hear how you're doing!

Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM

10,647 posts, read 11,381,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So I have to have a head MRI on Monday. Normally an MRI wouldn't faze me; I tend to just doze even when the banging starts.

However, this time they're using a contrast material (gadolinium) because it's an image of my brain. I dunno, call me crazy but there's something about having a foreign material injected into my bloodstream that gives me pause.

Anyone reading this who's had this done?
I have had it done both ways, and I did not notice any difference.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:44 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,869,939 times
I found the experience mildly terrifying, probably exacerbated by the nurse's inability to find a good vein to inject the gadolinium. Some physical side effects. I was dazed and dizzy getting out of the MRI, I was exhausted the rest of the day and had cloudy pee (never had that before).

The MRI was to see if my sudden unexplained hearing loss was due to a mass. Good news is that I don't have a brain tumor.

Less good news is that my ENT now wants me to have a CT w/o contrast. But that should be easier to deal with.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They really helped.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 AM

10,647 posts, read 11,381,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I found the experience mildly terrifying, probably exacerbated by the nurse's inability to find a good vein to inject the gadolinium. Some physical side effects. I was dazed and dizzy getting out of the MRI, I was exhausted the rest of the day and had cloudy pee (never had that before).

The MRI was to see if my sudden unexplained hearing loss was due to a mass. Good news is that I don't have a brain tumor.

Less good news is that my ENT now wants me to have a CT w/o contrast. But that should be easier to deal with.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They really helped.

I have had all these tests, but I do not recognize the abbreviation, which may be due to the fact that I have had many in Europe.

If it is a CAT scan, it's a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness