U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 05:44 PM

4,513 posts, read 712,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is one point I also want to make. I am sorry if I sounded cold in my response. I am also very sorry for the OP's loss. I just cannot understand how people know what other's feel. All of us are individuals and have different tolerances for pain. About a month ago I passed a kidney stone about three sixteenth of an inch in diameter and about a half inch long. If I had to live out my life in that pain; I would have finished myself off right then; but I knew that it would pass when that stone finally decided to move. I have no idea how much pain people are in while dying of cancer and I do not want to condemn them because they feel it isn't worth the extra time on earth. I just wish that more states would allow us to pick our onw time.

But they do. If someone wants to end their life, then they can do so, why do we need to involve others? Unless one has lost the use of ones limbs, I see no reason to involve others.

OP I am sorry for the loss of your friend, but it was his desire. May he rest in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 06:07 PM

8,301 posts, read 2,724,880 times
I had a good friend who called me to announce she was going to "leave" this earth. She had rejected a 3rd kidney transplant (had it 14 yrs) and went thru a life of HAIL with kidney disease and failures. She could not imagine another transplant and going on dialysis for so many days a week, she was not up to it ..she was worn out. So talking everything out with husband and she was of sound mind, with the help of her longtime kidney doctor, she was gone. When she called me I was in shock but she made up her mind, nothing I would say would change it, I was not walking in her shoes of many years of pain and misery. I'm tearing thinking about her right now. Talk about courage. J

Old 09-10-2017, 06:31 PM

2,791 posts, read 1,409,866 times
To the OP, I'm sorry for your husband finding out that his friend is gone. Moreover, I'm sorry for his friend who had lived with such severe pain. However, I may be a little more philosophical about what "life" is. In my own opinion, when the precious gift of life becomes a horrible curse, I claim the right to say, "Enough's enough". It would have to be something really terrible to get me to that point, but I'm confident that my family would understand.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:22 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,475,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Husband has been calling around to everyone he knows in Florida because of the hurricane<>
His wife answered the phone and said her husband committed suicide last July.<>
At the very least, do not leave around anything that can be used as a weapon to kill either themselves, or others. That is just common sense if medications aren't to be used.
Why stop with guns:
Top 12 killer household chemicals
It is true that most gun deaths are suicides, but there are many other ways to go. Vehicle suicide is common.
My first experience with suicide was a high school classmate death by drinking ammonia.
Search for 'suicide by detergent' for a real worry.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:05 PM

21,117 posts, read 13,943,341 times
I respect someone's right to end life on their own terms, especially when in pain that cannot be managed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 PM

9,898 posts, read 4,814,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I'm sorry to but if I were in chronic pain that doctors could not relieve I would want the gun. There are other methods but a gun is generally effective and fast.
Could not? Or WOULD not? There is a huge difference, especially when someone has cancer, and most especially terminal cancer. They should be offered palliative or hospice care rather than literally being forced to kill themselves from pain - that is a horrible thing.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM

26,535 posts, read 31,019,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I respect someone's right to end life on their own terms, especially when in pain that cannot be managed.
This happened to my father at age 64. I even had thoughts about how to assist due to the severe pain.

Nature took 15 months. I've never seen someone in such pain before. Even a morphine pump did not really help.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:23 AM

4,728 posts, read 1,589,963 times
My sister died in agony from cancer. That is my last memory of her. The Fentanyl transdermal patches & any other pain meds were not enough. I know she would have chosen otherwise, given the opportunity.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:49 AM

13,412 posts, read 1,872,015 times
im so sorry about yalls loss

Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,367,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Could not? Or WOULD not? There is a huge difference, especially when someone has cancer, and most especially terminal cancer. They should be offered palliative or hospice care rather than literally being forced to kill themselves from pain - that is a horrible thing.

the myth that palliative care can always relieve suffering is just that - a myth. I've watched more than one family member die excruciating deaths from cancer all while in hospice. They cannot always reduce the pain enough for it to be manageable. And the medical community should not pretend otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness