Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:16 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

I've developed some lower back pain which is probably linked to some hip pain. Probably the kind of thing that might have just healed itself when I was younger, but now it won't let go. It's been a week or more.

Any suggestions? I suppose it's too late for ice or a heating pad. Would some kind of slant in my bed, elevating my feet, give my spine a chance to stretch out? I'm not sure if acupuncture would actually solve the problem or just possibly mask the pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Most times lower back pain will get better without doing much, as there is not a lot you can do while you are in pain. What you can do when the pain subsides is strengthen your core muscles. Planks are great for that.
I have had lower back pain on and off for a long time, but once I took my PT's advice and worked on strengthening my core I never have lower back pain anymore.
Of course you might have something more serious that does need some medical attention. For now I would ice it. If the pain continues for another week or gets worse, see your doctor.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I'm no expert in back pain, but I want to mention that I did find that my low back pain disappeared when I started doing yoga, and it hasn't bothered me since. Strengthening your core can help, as the poster above me mentioned, and yoga does that for me. If I stop doing yoga even for a few months, my back pain returns.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:01 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
For me (back pain from RA) strengthening my core and stretches/yoga help a lot. TENS machine feels good and I like heat. If it is really inflammed I will go for cold and then heat. If it is being particularly difficult, a muscle relaxant helps.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-31-2017, 08:55 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I agree with core strengthening, and yoga for that and flexibility. Meanwhile, it's never too late for a heating pad if you have muscle pain. I'd take an OTC anti-inflammatory and wrap up in relaxing heat and see how it feels. Since you mentioned your hip, I'd also say to pay attention to your posture, which can really cause problems. Core strengthening will improve your posture, and so will yoga. But if you have a hip problem, I hope it's resolved. Otherwise it will continue to throw things off.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
You may want to visit a doc to find out what is causing it (confirm), because that could determine the most effective treatment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-31-2017, 11:28 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You may want to visit a doc to find out what is causing it (confirm), because that could determine the most effective treatment.
This ^^

My back pain as I grow older is from degenerating lower back disks. They basically act as shock absorbers. My disks have shrunk about 80%. Doc said that was common with aging.

Degenerative disc disease (DDD) can affect any part of the spine, but it most commonly affects the low back (lumbar spine) or neck (cervical spine). ... You may experience pain at the site of the damaged disc—in your lower back, for instance. However, the pain may also radiate (or travel) to another part of your body. Read more...
https://www.spineuniverse.com/condit...e-disc-disease

Old 08-31-2017, 11:32 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
I have a few fragmented discs in my lower back from years of running, and running on pavement. If I keep my weight down, and I do, and exercise relatively regularly it is not an issue. If I get lazy, it creeps back. When it first materialized almost twenty years ago, I was in excruciating pain. I was given two choices by my Doc. Surgery, or try physical therapy. I went the physical therapy route, and it worked. You may want to try that.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:21 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
I've had back problems (degenerative discs, among other issues) for years. I did have back surgery about 12 years ago and it really worked for me. However - I am not suggesting you need that! I mention it only to say that I've got some experience. lol

Anyway, I agree with seeing your doctor to be sure of the problem. Some things may do more harm than good. I agree that yoga and core muscle strengthening can be a big help, but I would also ask about a round of physical therapy. My most recent visit taught me some wonderful stretches that have helped tremendously. I think it's important to make sure that the first time you are doing any stretching (be it PT or yoga) that you have an experienced person there to show you the correct way to do the stretch so that you don't harm yourself.

You can also look into purchasing an inexpensive TENS unit. I got one at Walgreens for $30 and it works amazingly well!

Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I've developed some lower back pain which is probably linked to some hip pain. Probably the kind of thing that might have just healed itself when I was younger, but now it won't let go. It's been a week or more.

Any suggestions? I suppose it's too late for ice or a heating pad. Would some kind of slant in my bed, elevating my feet, give my spine a chance to stretch out? I'm not sure if acupuncture would actually solve the problem or just possibly mask the pain.
lets just say, if constant pain makes me an expert I guess I am one. Seriously I do have a lot of discomfort. It is a combination of aging and arthritis. I am just learning to live with it, as I swear everyday because I hurt. My doctor did prescribe a muscle relaxant for me that should be here any day. I can't wait. Surgery isn't going to do much good, nor is going to a PT at this stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness