U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 AM
 
10,422 posts, read 5,324,233 times
Reputation: 5268

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I knew a hospital where the male doctors let the male janitors view gynecologic exams without the patients' consent or knowledge. The entire hospital was not only not "up in arms", they actually did nothing about it, and the other male doctors thought it was funny. So much for your theory.

But yes, they were disgusting pigs.
Was that before or after the revolutionary impact of social media? Try letting news like that get out now and 1 person could start a chain of events that gets millions of people involved. That would then put those running the facility under intense pressure to do something...especially in today's climate of outrage against sexist/racist men in positions of power.

But yeah, I find it somewhat hard to believe that no one in an entire hospital cared about what the gynecologist were doing. Perhaps a rare outlier?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now a Rehoboth Beach Bunny
6,556 posts, read 8,232,130 times
Reputation: 5808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Denver Health nurses suspended after opening body bag to see man

I hadn't seen this one posted here and thought it worthy of discussion. The man was ogled by nurses who were not part of his care team while he was comatose and then they even went so far as to open his body bag for more viewings after he died. The hospital apparently gave them a 3 week paid suspension and then put a note in their file. In short, the hospital apparently condones this kind of behavior by their relative inaction. Some would say they were rewarded with an extra 3 week vacation. They should have instead been fired on the spot.

Had it been a female patient and male nurses, for sure they'd of been charged with a crime and been fired, but disrespecting male patients in such a demeaning manner is OK. The double standard in medicine lives on. Nobody should fool themselves otherwise.

Perhaps the hospital should post a sign at all of its entrances:

"All male patients are subject to genital inspections on demand by any of our female staff. Male patients should have no expectation of being treated in a respectful and dignified manner."
Just my opinion, but I am not sure why you feel it is worthy of discussion. Any PROFESSIONAL should conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. End of discussion. They didn't behave properly and were suspended and their personnel file will carry a permanent record of it. They will have at the very least, a difficult time being hired elsewhere and I would bet they will be paying for this in terms of raises for quite a while. Hospitals have critical shortages of nurses and perhaps that that entered into the decision.

When I attended college I was studying for a health related field career and had to dissect 2 humans. The very first day before we were brought in to see the cadaver, we were told that respect of that cadaver was the single most important thing we needed to remember always. He and she were someone's son and daughter and had been donated for the betterment of mankind and that selflessness needed to always be honored. I was astounded beyond belief that it had to be said, but apparently others before my class had disrespected this person in the vilest way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 10:41 AM
 
1,642 posts, read 426,488 times
Reputation: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just my opinion, but I am not sure why you feel it is worthy of discussion. Any PROFESSIONAL should conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. End of discussion. They didn't behave properly and were suspended and their personnel file will carry a permanent record of it. They will have at the very least, a difficult time being hired elsewhere and I would bet they will be paying for this in terms of raises for quite a while. Hospitals have critical shortages of nurses and perhaps that that entered into the decision.

When I attended college I was studying for a health related field career and had to dissect 2 humans. The very first day before we were brought in to see the cadaver, we were told that respect of that cadaver was the single most important thing we needed to remember always. He and she were someone's son and daughter and had been donated for the betterment of mankind and that selflessness needed to always be honored. I was astounded beyond belief that it had to be said, but apparently others before my class had disrespected this person in the vilest way.
It is worthy of discussion because it does happen and generally their co-workers look the other way and say nothing. What is unique about this case is the opening of the body bag which has to be far beyond what voyeurs in medical setting normally do, and the fact that someone turned them in. A nurse's 1st duty is to their patients, not to perverted co-workers, yet some seem to think that the larger problem is the fact that they were turned in rather than the fact that they did it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM
 
11,555 posts, read 13,131,263 times
Reputation: 12706
I doubt the dead guy cares......it's more troubling to know that pelvic exams are being performed by students while the [live] unconcious patient (who was never informed or asked about it) has no idea about it.
For that purpose (teaching) it's ok I guess...and never talked about.
I find it weird that the dead guys thoughts or emotions or anything else are even a consideration....believe me...he/she DON'T CARE ONE BIT.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Saint Louis
8,313 posts, read 5,053,736 times
Reputation: 14130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Male nurses would have been fired. That is the reality of medicine today.
Do you have a source to back up your claim that male nurses from this hospital are fired for doing the same as female nurses?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now a Rehoboth Beach Bunny
6,556 posts, read 8,232,130 times
Reputation: 5808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
It is worthy of discussion because it does happen and generally their co-workers look the other way and say nothing. What is unique about this case is the opening of the body bag which has to be far beyond what voyeurs in medical setting normally do, and the fact that someone turned them in. A nurse's 1st duty is to their patients, not to perverted co-workers, yet some seem to think that the larger problem is the fact that they were turned in rather than the fact that they did it.
And you know what voyeurs do in medical settings because?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 426,488 times
Reputation: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I doubt the dead guy cares......it's more troubling to know that pelvic exams are being performed by students while the [live] unconcious patient (who was never informed or asked about it) has no idea about it.
For that purpose (teaching) it's ok I guess...and never talked about.
I find it weird that the dead guys thoughts or emotions or anything else are even a consideration....believe me...he/she DON'T CARE ONE BIT.
I agree that pelvic exams without specific consent is very very wrong. Yes students need to learn but get consent first. Some will say yes, some will say no. Women do not go to the hospital to be used that way without their permission.

No the dead guy doesn't care, though they did start the peep show before he died. Perhaps his family cares that he was treated that way. Perhaps not. Regardless, nobody goes to the hospital to become part of a peep show. Opening the body bag was just plain sick and beyond any measure of human decency.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM
 
Location: rochester ny
668 posts, read 409,543 times
Reputation: 522
Any idea of who the patient was? I wonder if it was a famous person or porn star.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
3,652 posts, read 2,075,774 times
Reputation: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I agree that pelvic exams without specific consent is very very wrong. Yes students need to learn but get consent first. Some will say yes, some will say no. Women do not go to the hospital to be used that way without their permission.

No the dead guy doesn't care, though they did start the peep show before he died. Perhaps his family cares that he was treated that way. Perhaps not. Regardless, nobody goes to the hospital to become part of a peep show. Opening the body bag was just plain sick and beyond any measure of human decency.
There was a case where med students were NOT comfortable when doctors were showing female genitalia as part of their OBGYN rotation. They pushed for the administration to produce written consent from those patients of such activities, so at least there's still good out there in the medical profession.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 03:39 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 426,488 times
Reputation: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
And you know what voyeurs do in medical settings because?
Start with this thread about the nurses in Denver. Last year I think it was there was the female nurse in NY who gave up her license rather than be prosecuted for taking penis photos of patients and passing them around. There was the female ENT doctor in New Mexico who surprisingly was neither fired nor lost her license for fondling male patients during surgery. It went on for years with her all-female OR team thinking it was funny until one day one of the nurses turned her in. She was put on probation for a couple years is all. There have been many many reports of nurses gathering around to see the well endowed guys. Then there was the OR nurse who told me literally moments before I was put under that she looked forward to seeing the goods. I was out before I could respond. They may be a minority of the nurse population but they are out there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top