Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,120,500 times

Advertisements

Every year, mid september, the aches and pains come on strong. Stiff joints, back aches, and the knees!

I attribute it to cold weather, shorter days, rain/snow, but no scientific link? So what is the real reason for the added stress of aches and pain?

My season is mostly september through april. Amazing or not, 10 days in the carribean during february sure does help with symptoms.

I have arthritis , and new to it. Just want to get better informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:02 PM

48,357 posts, read 34,485,139 times
I think everyone is different, I have RA and cold weather doesn't bother me. Will be testing that further going to the snow in January.

I am more heat sensitive though, which seems to be a side effect of the RA, or age...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times
I've had first symptoms of OA in back at 18 and lived in East so had weather elements for the first 25 yrs of my life, lived the rest of years in So. Calif. Can't blame weather for my continuing OA.

I believe from early life of eating carbs, sugar stuff and then years of dancing and going for gym workouts...OA just kept advancing.

Plus women on my mother's side all had OA.

My issues advanced even more after hip replacement in 2010 and ended up with nasty complications and more OA. I'm 79 and keep plugging but SLOWED down big time.,

Cold weather doesn't help arthritis.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 PM

They say there is no scientific link, but i feel it in the North East. Maybe its a combination of mood and arthritis?

Stiff hips, crazy wrist pain, stiff elbows, weak knees, and sore stiff ankles and feet. My bach is not as flexible either.

I am middle aged. Do light excercise and stretches. I would love to run/jog, but settle for walking. I am lucky if i can do 2 miles a day, before nerve pain kicks in.
I also have lumbar issues. It sucks.

I am trying to figure out this mystery.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 PM

44,556 posts, read 61,289,505 times
I have chronic arthritis and I can guarantee you I ache with far more pain when it's cold, and especially damp. In AZ when the weather is hot and dry is when I feel best.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:20 PM

32,788 posts, read 36,039,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
They say there is no scientific link, but i feel it in the North East. Maybe its a combination of mood and arthritis?

Stiff hips, crazy wrist pain, stiff elbows, weak knees, and sore stiff ankles and feet. My bach is not as flexible either.

I am middle aged. Do light excercise and stretches. I would love to run/jog, but settle for walking. I am lucky if i can do 2 miles a day, before nerve pain kicks in.
I also have lumbar issues. It sucks.

I am trying to figure out this mystery.
I have no idea, but it's already started. My back was the first to go. It's not OA, but the huge medical group doesn't want to label me with other things.

It seems a witch hunt.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 2,932 times
It isn't the cold or dampness that causes my pain. It is the barometer pressure changes that bring the different weather. And man does it do me in. I've got fibromyalgia, Post Polio Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Arthritis. Still life is sweet.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Yes, drops of borometric weather, is said to add weight to the joints. , Less gravity or something like that. Doctors agree there is a link, but no scientific link when it comes down to it.

I can tell ,most times, when a heavy down pour is on the way. Hips and ankles give off the signals first. It sucks!

Old 09-10-2017, 11:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 4,405,809 times
I've also read that it's not weather-related, but anyone in pain knows the weather does affect your body. Period. I thought living in the Northeast with RA, the winters, and this time of year, first chilly morning, was bad. But now I'm in the mid-Atlantic and the summer humidity is worse. My fingers swell like sausages and my joints pulse. I'm not sure about the knees since there are no stairs here.

I believe barometric pressure is something you can feel, not just in your body, but also your mood if yours is variable. And if you have any healing bone injuries or surgical incisions, you definitely know when it's going to rain.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,491,340 times
RA is due to the immune system. Symptoms can show up due to anything that weakens it or from bacteria that triggers it.

Researchers Add to Evidence That Common Bacterial Cause of Gum Disease May Drive Rheumatoid Arthritis - 12/14/2016

Something simple as rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness