U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM

1,128 posts, read 444,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I take a Benedryl* tablet every night to keep my sinuses clear. Otherwise, I sometimes wake up gasping for air.

*actually, the store brand version, even cheaper. I don't recall the price, maybe $5 for 100? that's cheaper than $2 a night.
that sounds harmful i hope the breathe right strips aren't. i don't think the strips actually put anything into your body. i actually have no idea how they work - perhaps i should look into that lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:14 PM

1,104 posts, read 400,495 times
I tried the breathe right strips but no matter what I did, I couldn't get them to stay on my nose. Every night like clockwork.....SPANG! there went one. It's a wonder I didn't get an eye put out - LOL.

What I did and still do have good luck with is the ones that fit inside the nostrils and push the side of the nose out. It took a few nights to get used to, but OMG I can breathe at night again!

Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM

6,500 posts, read 1,537,790 times
Quote:
I take a Benedryl* tablet every night to keep my sinuses clear. Otherwise, I sometimes wake up gasping for air.

*actually, the store brand version, even cheaper. I don't recall the price, maybe $5 for 100? that's cheaper than $2 a night.

I also take a Benedryl every night. It helps me breath and sleep. I asked my doctor if it was ok to do every night and he said yes of course everyone should get their own opinion.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:33 PM

7,259 posts, read 2,292,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also take a Benedryl every night. It helps me breath and sleep. I asked my doctor if it was ok to do every night and he said yes of course everyone should get their own opinion.
Show this to your doctor.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201501287667

Often patients NEED to enlighten the doctors.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:33 PM

8,467 posts, read 5,658,489 times
Use 'em! That's why they're there!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:21 PM

14,913 posts, read 4,127,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Show this to your doctor.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201501287667

Often patients NEED to enlighten the doctors.
This is why I stopped taking Benadryl and switched to medical marijuana. It's safer! Some studies have shown that cannabis has neuroprotective qualities, too, which is another bonus. I'm 68, and I don't want to take any chances with dementia. I'd rather be a pothead!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This is why I stopped taking Benadryl and switched to medical marijuana. It's safer! Some studies have shown that cannabis has neuroprotective qualities, too, which is another bonus. I'm 68, and I don't want to take any chances with dementia. I'd rather be a pothead!
I hear you, I've never taken Benadryl, and I'd rather be a grapeseed extract head. I have nothing against cannabis but what I mentioned works so great for me.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 314,826 times
jeeze, I already gave up--for various health reasons-- lunch meat, red meat, carbs, mushrooms, butter, coconut milk, antiperspirants, flagyl, various other medications, and driving too fast without a seatbelt. How much more can I give up?!?!?!?!?!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
jeeze, I already gave up--for various health reasons-- lunch meat, red meat, carbs, mushrooms, butter, coconut milk, antiperspirants, flagyl, various other medications, and driving too fast without a seatbelt. How much more can I give up?!?!?!?!?!
Geez, in my mind you gave up a lot of good foods.. driving without a seat belt is asking for more trouble...but you probably didn't get on grape seed ex. The grape is a powerhouse of antioxidants. I know if I hear of a med with a link to alz I'd be off it pronto. I took 1/2mg lorazepam for some time yrs back and then a friend with CFS also was taking some for sleep, well she told me about the benzo alz connection. She's off them too. Working with other things vs the meds.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:29 PM

627 posts, read 223,614 times
Been using breathe right strips almost daily for 5 years. They have improved my sleep quality and quantity by a lot, and I almost cannot sleep without them.

Breathe Right works, but not for severe congestion. They don't do much when your nose is blocked off from hay fever, a cold or sinus infection. If you simply cannot breathe through your nose you might want to get checked for things that you are allergic/sensitive to.

The best thing I did for my allergies was move to move to the west coast. No where near as much pollen blowing around especially ragweed, which is my Krpytonite.

Last edited by A1eutian; 09-13-2017 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness