U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 PM

1,262 posts, read 338,914 times

Advertisements

My doctor wanted me to get checked for sleep apnea because - get ready for this - I have a small frame and as we age and our tissues sag, I have less room for them to sag into. Oh, and my insurance would cover the testing and treatment. Hmmm. I'm not interested, but I have used Breathe Right strips and if I could solve my sleep problem with that, I'd be all for it. Anything conservative, non-invasive, and not drugs, I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 AM

37,364 posts, read 40,935,629 times
Before surgery that worked well for me I tried the nose strips, but after a few months the sinus cavities started to close up and adjust for the strips negating their purpose. They should only be used temporarily.
I would suggest you schedule a visit with an ENT and get evaluated. Also certain food products, gluten wise, and especially dairy can cause sinus/allergy breathing problems

Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 AM

1,664 posts, read 997,005 times
I just started using the breathe right strips for the first time 3 days ago. Wow, what a difference, I can breathe again.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:22 AM

6,393 posts, read 2,450,367 times
I've been using the Breathe Rite strips for years, best invention in years. I get a pack of 40 or 50 from Costco for around $20.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 AM

1,168 posts, read 476,623 times
wow, thanks for the responses, and i am surprised so many people use them! i'm not the only one i guess

Getting them in bulk in Costco is probably a good idea. I guess at my next physical I can mention it, but maybe i won't go out of my way to make an appointment since it doesn't seem like too much of a big deal.

Also, in response to another post - i will second marijuana over benadryl for insomnia I've been doing it for 2 months and have yet to need a sleep aid for sleep (even though my OP wasn't really about that lol, just wanted to add in my opinion).

Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM

3,770 posts, read 3,310,516 times
Find out if your insurance will cover a sleep study. Some insurance companies will require a referral from your doctor to a sleep center where they will do a sleep study to determine if you have sleep apnea. If you are found to have apnea, you will probably be prescribed a CPAP device to aid in breathing overnight. Most insurance will cover a CPAP if you're diagnosed with apnea. Sleep apnea can be a serious challenge to your long term health if left untreated.

Or you could see an ear, nose, and throat doctor (ENT) to be examined to see if there are structural impairments that can be repaired surgically. If you don't have apnea, I would stick to the nose strips before I'd go to surgery. I don't know your budget, but $15 a month for good sleep is pretty cheap to me. That's 50 cents a day. Surely there is something in your budget that you spend 50 cents a day on that can be eliminated (Starbuck's, soda from the machine, etc). to allow room in the budget for your nose strips.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 AM

7,262 posts, read 10,178,166 times
Well this certainly isn't definitive in any way but you can download snoring apps that record your snoring to help you "see" whether you are experiencing any apnea. You could record yourself for a night with and without the nasal strips. More data for your dr?

I also thing that sleep tests can be a total scam for Drs and insurance. Not that they don't help some people they do. But often the recommendation is more of a scam. Basically you go in and if they find anything its a CPAP machine. Or maybe an antidepressant. I've never heard of any other recommendation. I like the idea of an exam by an ENT better.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 AM

8,289 posts, read 2,720,589 times
I just thought about all your breathing issues and stuffy noses, and applying Vicks Salve around the nose before going to bed could work wonders. Re apply later in night, etc. I love Vicks and have a thread in Alt Med about Vicks Vapo Rub. The issues are MOSTLY I'd say related to allergy/sinus issues and I've talked about how grape seed ex has been my saving grace in this health area. No side effects and it's been around forever.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Status: "Mueller will be investigating Trump until at least 2019." (set 10 days ago)

6,777 posts, read 1,584,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I had posted a few months ago about how i always feel tired yet all my lab results come back normal and whatnot. My first step to further investigate was to go to an endocrinologist and ask her to dig deeper at my thyroid. Everything checked out fine. So my next step was to investigate sleep apnea or a breathing issue while sleeping. Just for the hell of it i tried using one of those breathe right nose strips and i could tell the difference pretty much immediately when i put it on. Ive been using them for like 2 or 3 months at this point, i'm probably borderline addicted to them. But i'm just wondering what i should do next if the strips are helping - do i go to like an ear nose throat doctor or something to check out my nasal passages or my lunges or throat??

I just don't know what to investigate if i feel like the nose strips are helping me. And a pack of 30 is about $15 so i cannot continue buying these every month especially if there is a real medical solution.

thoughts?
store brand is like 5 bucks, i buy Krogers version they work great....

Old 09-14-2017, 01:56 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,955,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I tried the breathe right strips but no matter what I did, I couldn't get them to stay on my nose. Every night like clockwork.....SPANG! there went one. It's a wonder I didn't get an eye put out - LOL.

What I did and still do have good luck with is the ones that fit inside the nostrils and push the side of the nose out. It took a few nights to get used to, but OMG I can breathe at night again!
Interesting, I have heard of these and found them on ebay....They're called "Nasal Cones"...I may just try some....

3pk (I'd wash them out weekly) for only $6.80 with free shipping...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness