Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:16 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Loaded guns of any type can do damage. I've never even held a gun in my 79 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
It is really just a bb not a 45 bullet. The body will work around it. Over counter pain meds should be all he needs. ER staff does work. You just do not see it.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I have a couple BBs in my body still from my youth. Definitely don't consider these gunshot wounds.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
It's not a bullet. Yes they leave them in.

They even have examples of that on those Animal Planet veterinarian hospital shows when animals get shot by horrible humans.

If he wants it out he has the option to see a surgeon for a second opinion. They can tell him if slicing into muscle and stuff is worth it compared to having it heal over naturally.

Google it.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I would be interested in what my son was doing out "late last night" with a BB gun? There is nothing wrong with young adults target practicing in the back yard and learning how to safely use weapons. Of course they should have somebody to train them. Then the first rule is to never point any weapon at anything other than a 'safe' target - that goes for loaded or unloaded. Your son never should have been out at night shooting when he could not see. I would want to know where he was shooting and what he was shooting.

How old is your son? Have you interrogated him? Perhaps you anger is misdirected?
She said he was 20, and was in the woods, so I'd imagine maybe hunting birds. Don't know where OP is but it's dove season here. It doesn't sound like he was up to anything nefarious.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:40 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She said he was 20, and was in the woods, so I'd imagine maybe hunting birds. Don't know where OP is but it's dove season here. It doesn't sound like he was up to anything nefarious.
Thanks---yes, he's 20, technically an adult, who doesn't answer to us. He was with friends and they were driving. They didn't want to come home right away and he was at their mercy. I asked why he didn't call us, he gave some vague non-answer. I suspect he didn't want us to know where he was. Yes, I am quite angry at him, but accidents do happen. If you get through life without a single accident, well, more power to you!

I just don't think they did all they could/should have at the ER. At least given him a referral to someone to evaluate it for removal later.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
I will bet you that you are not allowed to hunt doves late at night with a BB gun! I believe that some of the doves are protected by federal regulations and that you mush have a migratory bird stamp. The idea of just going out and shooting birds, regardless of species, will get many very stiff fines or maybe even time in jail. Of course if he was hunting birds after dark how he could even find them? You would need a spotlight and that would probably be against the law.

Yes; I overlooked his age originally and it was right in front of me! Maybe I just worry about teenagers or young adults out late at night with BB guns or air rifles because of the trouble they could get in and the damage they could cause.

OP I am sorry that your son is in pain. I just worry as you have worried.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:05 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
She said he was 20, and was in the woods, so I'd imagine maybe hunting birds.
No season I know of allows shooting at birds before or after daylight, nor shooting with a BB gun; they require using a shotgun.

OP, I'd think with all the run-ins you've had between this kid and your daughter, that you would have seen the kid being in some pain as a lesson learned for a change.

I know I sure would. Karma's a funny thing.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just leave the BB in there? forever?
I know a guy with three pieces of irregular shaped shrapnel lodged in his calf and thigh. Forever.

Your son should count himself lucky that he plays with BB guns and beer in the dark and is not a soldier.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
My 20-year old son accidently shot himself in the lower leg with an air soft bb gun. Yep, nice going!

Well. he was out "in the woods" when this happened, late last night, and didn't come home until today to tell us. Ok, so, we took him to the ER. It was a nasty-looking puncture wound, and he was hurting. We did the usual one-hour wait, then, they acted like they didn't know what they were doing, and kept asking him the same questions over and over. Then, they did do a lavage, which was extremely painful for him, and wouldn't give him any type of pain meds. Then they did an x-ray and said it was "too deep", and in such cases they just leave the BB in and the body will eventually encapsulate it.

Just leave it there? Like for the rest of his life? They didn't give directions to follow up for removal, just "see your PCP if it gets worse" They did prescribe antibiotics, with instructions NOT to take unless symptoms of infection began. They also did give a tetanus shot.

I was outraged----just leave the bullet in his leg? Is that typically done? Nothing for pain, and no antibiotics unless infection sets in. Well, we started the antibiotics tonight, and I have some Tylenol 4 I gave him. I intend to take him to a wound-care doctor in another hospital who treated a leg wound I had about a year ago. This is Sunday night, so, of course, nothing can be done until tomorrow, but I just wanted to ask, is this typical treatment?

BTW, the hospital we went to was a Regional Trauma center, level II. We figured they would be the best to treat a gunshot wound, guess we were wrong. Oh, and we do have excellent insurance, so there was no reason not to treat him better
First things first...This is NOT a gunshot wound, cut the theatrics. Its a bb, from an airsoft gun. Yes, its very typical that they leave it in. Think about it...If it never comes out, what's the problem? What's wrong with it getting wrapped in scar tissue?

If you go in there to get it out, you have to make the hole bigger and deeper, because whatever removes the BB is going to be wider than the bb itself (to grab it.) That would be painful to dig in and around the wound channel to fish it out.

As to the pain meds? I'm sure he didn't feel good, but typically they don't reward teenage stupidity with narcotics at the hospital. If this was a trauma center, the airsoft bb was probably a popcorn fart to them. And, I have been a stupid teenager (not with airsoft but with paintball guns) so I get that your son is simply being a 20 year old male.

Don't start the antibiotics unless it gets infected...because if infection sets in and he's developed resistance to them, he's in for a much tougher road.

Quote:
So, is this typical, to just leave a bullet inside the leg? I don't feel right about that, it could migrate to who knows where, get into a blood vessel, create a clot, set up a major infection, etc. Didn't they remove bullets on Gunsmoke, etc? Is this modern medicine?
Your comparing a 50 year old TV show set in a time period 150 years ago to modern medicine...And back then you were a lot more likely to die from an infection after a surgery than anything else...Disease and illness killed more civil war soldiers than bullets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness