Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

61, overweight, sporadically walk. A couple of months ago when going out to walk at about halfway through my walk the right side of my lower leg lights up with burning pain. Like when you aren't fit and start running or walking really fast and your calves burn. Except this was only one leg and on the side of the leg which I thought was sort of weird.

So I think well if I keep walking it will get better, like when your calves get used to exercise. But it hasn't. So I tried switching back to my old running shoes (although I had been wearing the new(er) ones awhile) and that didn't change anything. Hm. So then I'm talking to an acquaintance who tells me that they got surgery that replaced part of an artery in their groin because they had hardening of the artery in the legs. So after a few more weeks of this burning thing I start to wonder - do I have hardening of the arteries? Blue Cross Blue Shield has a 1800 number where you can call to talk to a nurse, she goes through her checklist of questions (sounds like a venn diagram) and ends up at possible blood clot. You have to go to a Dr. now! Well I don't think its a blood clot, zero other symptoms but I do decide to go to the Dr.

He decides that its, apparently, some sort of inflammation. Prescribes an inflammatory. Nabumetone, the generic I think. (I tend to distrust generics as they seem to be made under less than ideal circumstances in places like India). Anyway......I do really like my GP but he has in the past prescribed me things that were total overkill, in on instance something I think was pretty scary and inappropriate.

And of course there are all sorts of warnings on the package and more than that - do inflammatories work for localized muscle pain that only happens when walking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Inflammation is rampant in our population. Do a check of inflammatory FOODS and start there...I have plenty and years ago took a pharma drug for inflammation and ended up in the ER with stomach ulcer. You could also do labs on inflammation markers in your body as to how much etc.

When I do more walking than I can normally do at this point, I get a burning in my knee and lower back. That's inflammation.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-21-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It might be sciatic nerve pain. Usually you would feel that in your butt or along the outside of your thigh before it spread to your lower leg, but nerves can work in weird ways.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
61, overweight, sporadically walk. A couple of months ago when going out to walk at about halfway through my walk the right side of my lower leg lights up with burning pain. Like when you aren't fit and start running or walking really fast and your calves burn. Except this was only one leg and on the side of the leg which I thought was sort of weird.

So I think well if I keep walking it will get better, like when your calves get used to exercise. But it hasn't. So I tried switching back to my old running shoes (although I had been wearing the new(er) ones awhile) and that didn't change anything. Hm. So then I'm talking to an acquaintance who tells me that they got surgery that replaced part of an artery in their groin because they had hardening of the artery in the legs. So after a few more weeks of this burning thing I start to wonder - do I have hardening of the arteries? Blue Cross Blue Shield has a 1800 number where you can call to talk to a nurse, she goes through her checklist of questions (sounds like a venn diagram) and ends up at possible blood clot. You have to go to a Dr. now! Well I don't think its a blood clot, zero other symptoms but I do decide to go to the Dr.

He decides that its, apparently, some sort of inflammation. Prescribes an inflammatory. Nabumetone, the generic I think. (I tend to distrust generics as they seem to be made under less than ideal circumstances in places like India). Anyway......I do really like my GP but he has in the past prescribed me things that were total overkill, in on instance something I think was pretty scary and inappropriate.

And of course there are all sorts of warnings on the package and more than that - do inflammatories work for localized muscle pain that only happens when walking?
The hardening of the arteries thing sounds pretty overblown to me, and from a very cursory search about symptoms (peripheral) sounds like you would be feeling numbness and tingling in your leg, not inflammation.

There are other ways to reduce inflammation other than a prescription strength anti-inflammatory, though maybe you have already tried them. I have some tendonitis problems with feet and ankles because of congenital weirdness, so learned them early on. I have tried some of the dietary things but they never seemed to make much difference either way.

One of the first is to warm up and stretch before you walk. If you start off "cold" using muscles or tendons that have been injured in some way you can keep injuring the irritated tissue over and over. When you finish your walk, stretch to cool the tissue down, put a cold pack on the area afterwards. This is pretty standard practice and it can work well. OTC strength ibuprofen can help a lot in addition to stretching and ice, but you need to use it regularly for some time. Don't use more than the recommended dose per day.

Because its just one leg, possibly there's some anatomical difference in that one. Most people's legs are not exactly equal in length, specific foot strike, knee angle, stride length, etc. As you age the slight difference could show up more. Check your WORN shoe soles....there may be some difference in the wear pattern that could clue you in. I wonder if using an insole in that shoe might help. You could ask an orthotics designer or try the OTC types found in pharmacies. You'd have to experiment, but it might compensate for the difference.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-21-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 11:55 AM

I'm certainly NOT a drug pusher, but if you can take ibuprofen with food, that would be good to take say 1 hr or so before you take your walk. I can walk with more ease when ibuprofen is pretty fresh in my body. I take it every 6 hrs. I live with advanced OA.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
do inflammatories work for localized muscle pain that only happens when walking?
Yes, they do. I decided to take up ice skating at the ripe old age of 41 and instantly pulled the plantar fascia on the bottom of my foot. It took a full two years to feel completely fine, but in the meantime, anti-inflammatories did help on very bad days. Since it didn't hurt all the time, I didn't take them all the time, but if you are planning a walk or a day out, you can take them before you go and it will help you manage and not come home feeling like you made it worse. If the medicine he gave you is not a problem, you can finish it and then treat the leg properly, resting it after use, taking an OTC when you need it, and not overdoing anything until it heals. Don't stop walking in the meantime, just take it easier.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:04 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
be sure and do stretching and coldpacks along with the medication. The one your doc rx'd is a good one. Should see improvement in 4 to 5 days. Good luck!

BTW NEVER mix otc anti-inflammatories (like ibuprofen) with rx ones!!!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm certainly NOT a drug pusher, but if you can take ibuprofen with food, that would be good to take say 1 hr or so before you take your walk. I can walk with more ease when ibuprofen is pretty fresh in my body. I take it every 6 hrs. I live with advanced OA.
You know how exactly 2 posts earlier in this thread you noted " a pharma drug for drug inflammation sent you to the ER with a stomach ulcer"

That Ibuprofen you take every 6 hours is pharmacologically IDENTICAL in its risk for causing stomach ulcers as whatever prescription NSAID you took previously...by your history you are at risk for further GI bleeding and are likely on borrowed time regarding another GI incident

As for suggesting that another poster take a medication without knowing their history, what other medications they may be taking etc that is irresponsible...

OTC NSAID's such as Ibuprofen are not without risk including GI bleed, renal damage, cardiac issues etc

Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 PM

Well, whatever I'm NOW doing, I'm OK with stomach and thanks johnny on the spot on my health issues.

That ulcer was from a pharma anti inflammatory drug in the 80's so it's been a long time and perhaps my digestive enzymes and probiotics are helping protect my stomach and years of DGL. And could be the drug I took way back was a rough drug on the stomach for starters.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Could it be PAD? Peripheral Artery Disease.

I'm not trusting General Practitioners and/or Internal Medicine doctors for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness