Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 PM

90 posts, read 253,299 times

Advertisements

I recently got over a cold. I felt better for about three days and got sick again, this time with the flu. I was having headaches and coughing a lot. I'm feeling much better now, except for a minor sore throat and a little left over cough. For the past three nights, however, I have woken up with night sweats. Each time, I "notice" the sweat (wake up) usually about 2-3 hours before my alarm goes off. I typically wake up once or twice a night to pee but the sweating seems to occur closer to my wake up time. I am usually able to fall back asleep after I cool myself down and then wake up again normal. I am planning to contact my doctor if this night sweat happens maybe another two more times. I figure it may have something to do with my recent illnesses, since I'm not 100% better, but with previous colds and flus, I cannot remember this ever happening. I am only 36, M, and in overall good health. Has anyone else experienced this? Other than my minor sore throat, I have no other symptoms. I feel like I'm trending towards getting all better but these night sweats have me purplexed and a little concerned.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
I've had that happen in the past when I had a cold. It would only happen maybe two nights or so, not longer than that.

I found that it would happen when I had a cold and did not stay home from work and rest, but kept pushing myself.

You may be running a low-grade fever.

You are right to see your doc if it keeps happening much longer.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Yup, it's a fever or some other reason your temperature is spiking during the night. I sat up once and like a cup of water (I guess sweat) rolled down off my scalp. What a bizarre sensation, but it only happened one night, and like you, at the end of being sick. Try an aspirin before bed or don't wrap up too much.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 PM

OP here.

I woke up twice last night, two hours apart with the same night sweats. The previous times it was only once. However, my sore throat feels a lot better, almost to the point where I'd say it's all better, not quite, but almost. Doesn't your body use the time we sleep to heal and repair itself, anyway? Maybe the sweating is my body's way of trying to raise my internal temp to kill whatever virus or bug that I have? I did travel out of the country recently, and it's entirely possible that whatever is afflicting me, I picked up overseas. If it wasn't for the night sweating, I would say I feel almost perfectly normal. Perhaps I just have to suffer through this for another night or two before I'm all better. I do have a tiny bit of a cough left over but nothing serious at all. If this hasn't cleared up totally by Monday, I will contact my doctor.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Maybe the sweats are getting rid of toxins.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:56 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I agree if they don't stop, you should call the doctor. It's unusual enough to check out if it continues. The other thing that can cause hot flashes is your thyroid, so they might take blood to check it.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
OP here.

I woke up twice last night, two hours apart with the same night sweats. The previous times it was only once. However, my sore throat feels a lot better, almost to the point where I'd say it's all better, not quite, but almost. Doesn't your body use the time we sleep to heal and repair itself, anyway? Maybe the sweating is my body's way of trying to raise my internal temp to kill whatever virus or bug that I have? I did travel out of the country recently, and it's entirely possible that whatever is afflicting me, I picked up overseas. If it wasn't for the night sweating, I would say I feel almost perfectly normal. Perhaps I just have to suffer through this for another night or two before I'm all better. I do have a tiny bit of a cough left over but nothing serious at all. If this hasn't cleared up totally by Monday, I will contact my doctor.

The body does use sleep time to heal.

Could you have strep throat?

You might want to see your doc for a check-up. Best to know what's going on than keep worrying.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Op here:

Last night NO SWEATS!!!!!!!!!

It was the first night in 4 nights I actually slept normally. My throat feels nearly all better, too. I'll continue (like I have any other choice) to monitor the situation. If anything changes, I will contact my doctor. But I gotta think that whatever nasty bug I picked up overseas, the sweating was my body trying to kill it. It was just very unnerving because I don't think I have experienced night sweats before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness