U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:42 PM

18,552 posts, read 6,037,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
You will know when it's time.
I think when I did my hip replacement, it was waking me with pain at night during sleep.

My knee doesn't pain me at night, I sleep a good 9+ hrs and it starts to pain me when I walk...not when I sit or lay down, but when I walk.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:24 AM

9,128 posts, read 6,301,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just talking to my mail lady and she has knee OA and was telling me one of her co workers could not take it any longer so finally did the knee replacement. 6 weeks post op were tough but now he's so happy he did it. Hear this story so much.

Maybe it will be for me afterall.
Wow, visions of hell freezing over, here. Just kidding, I wish you the best of luck and success whatever you decide. Guess you can get a good recommendation for a surgeon ( from your mail carrier, for starters) who will do a good job on your knee replacement.

And keep taking that Cosamin DS ( ??). It could well help your other joints even if it can't do much for knees already damaged by previous trauma, injuries, etc. etc.

My husband really needs knee surgery too-on both knees. His are bone on bone, arthritic and so on from old wrestling injuries. He's refused to consider it for years, but he's beginning to relent on the issue. He's trying to lose 50 lbs first ( and working on it), then says he will consider it. We know a number of people who have had successful knee surgeries and are happy with their results.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wow, visions of hell freezing over, here. Just kidding, I wish you the best of luck and success whatever you decide. Guess you can get a good recommendation for a surgeon ( from your mail carrier, for starters) who will do a good job on your knee replacement.

And keep taking that Cosamin DS ( ??). It could well help your other joints even if it can't do much for knees already damaged by previous trauma, injuries, etc. etc.

My husband really needs knee surgery too-on both knees. His are bone on bone, arthritic and so on from old wrestling injuries. He's refused to consider it for years, but he's beginning to relent on the issue. He's trying to lose 50 lbs first ( and working on it), then says he will consider it. We know a number of people who have had successful knee surgeries and are happy with their results.
I have a surgeon in mind and I've seen him since I was 57 for this knee issue. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,280,613 times
I’ve got bone on bone in my right knee with two surgeries and prepping for a third most likely. I wish my surgeon would do a replacement already because it’s so painful I can’t even walk my dog most days. But since I’m 36, it’s a no go. Years of running marathons with crappy alignment was the death wish for my knee apparently. The other is bad but tolerable but this one keeps me from sleeping, exercising and really doing anything I actually want to. Have an appt in a few weeks to talk surgery so we’ll see.

On that note has anyone had a knee replacement under 50? I don’t care if I have to do it again in 15-20 years if it gets me pain free or low pain until then.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Iíve got bone on bone in my right knee with two surgeries and prepping for a third most likely. I wish my surgeon would do a replacement already because itís so painful I canít even walk my dog most days. But since Iím 36, itís a no go. Years of running marathons with crappy alignment was the death wish for my knee apparently. The other is bad but tolerable but this one keeps me from sleeping, exercising and really doing anything I actually want to. Have an appt in a few weeks to talk surgery so weíll see.

On that note has anyone had a knee replacement under 50? I donít care if I have to do it again in 15-20 years if it gets me pain free or low pain until then.
I know my joint issues are from years of exercise and dancing. I didn't do running and when I watch the pain on those running down my street during LA Marathon I can't watch anymore. Most of us do so many foolish things when we are young and we think they are right...I was there for sure. Now we pay and some earlier. I loved my dancing and exercise years and here I am. Good wishes.

Could you seek other ortho opinions. All those surgeries too from what I hear cause more arthritis.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:40 PM

4,611 posts, read 10,468,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know my joint issues are from years of exercise and dancing. I didn't do running and when I watch the pain on those running down my street during LA Marathon I can't watch anymore. Most of us do so many foolish things when we are young and we think they are right...I was there for sure. Now we pay and some earlier. I loved my dancing and exercise years and here I am. Good wishes.

Could you seek other ortho opinions. All those surgeries too from what I hear cause more arthritis.
And I will once again point out there is NO correlation between running marathons and joint replacements, in fact the most recent study on the subject published just one month ago shows a LOWER incidence of hip and knee arthritis in marathoners than in the general public...

You should refrain from commenting on "the pain of those running down the street during the LA Marathon" since you have never run a marathon and have NO idea what those folks are experiencing....

You continue to throw out these uninformed opinions of what causes arthritis with no evidence to back your claims....

Best way to AVOID hip and knee arthritis for majority of people, keep dancing and exercising....

"CONCLUSIONS:
Age, family history, and surgical history independently predicted an increased risk for hip and knee arthritis in active marathoners, although there was no correlation with running history. In our cohort, the arthritis rate of active marathoners was below that of the general U.S."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29342063

Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 PM

2,975 posts, read 1,186,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Iíve got bone on bone in my right knee with two surgeries and prepping for a third most likely. I wish my surgeon would do a replacement already because itís so painful I canít even walk my dog most days. But since Iím 36, itís a no go. Years of running marathons with crappy alignment was the death wish for my knee apparently. The other is bad but tolerable but this one keeps me from sleeping, exercising and really doing anything I actually want to. Have an appt in a few weeks to talk surgery so weíll see.

On that note has anyone had a knee replacement under 50? I donít care if I have to do it again in 15-20 years if it gets me pain free or low pain until then.
I had a friend who did absolutely everything she could to avoid knee replacement until she was in her 50s. She was offered one in her 30s and said what saved her was that she did her daily PT exercises. Every. Single. Day. She was religious about going to the gym and doing her 30-minute stretching and weight routine for her knees even after she had her surgery, but said she was able to put off the surgery for 20 years with this type of exercise. She is also a slim/in shape lady, which I think helps since the less weight you put on the joints, the better.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:47 AM

69,136 posts, read 79,243,293 times
The best advise I ever got was from my very wise and good orthopedist. He said, when it was time I would know. Knee surgery is totally elective surgery. For some they wait until the pain is unbearable, for others they decide sooner. I was one of the latter. As my doctor said, sooner or later you will have to have it. I was bone on bone, but I don't think in as much paid as some talk about. I did try a couple types of shots, they would work for awhile. So I bit the bullet to say, knowing it would never get any better. That was 4 years ago and I never regretted it even though the recovery was't fun.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:38 PM

I agree MOST of these are elective. Before the joint surgery event, people grew old with their joint issues and walkers and canes. I have those now and no knee joint replacement, but the surgeons did a "clean out" while this last staph infection and my gut tells me that "clean out" did more harm than good...

I can hear the bones rubbing, but I can bend the bone rubbing knee quite well...so I'm holding off until I don't know what. Being laid up again after 4.5 months in rehabs is not on my "want to do list".

Old 03-11-2018, 01:49 PM

4,611 posts, read 10,468,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth;51276630[B
]I agree MOST of these are elective.[/b] Before the joint surgery event, people grew old with their joint issues and walkers and canes. I have those now and no knee joint replacement, but the surgeons did a "clean out" while this last staph infection and my gut tells me that "clean out" did more harm than good...

I can hear the bones rubbing, but I can bend the bone rubbing knee quite well...so I'm holding off until I don't know what. Being laid up again after 4.5 months in rehabs is not on my "want to do list".
ALL joint replacement surgery for arthritis is elective...it is by definition "elective surgery"

Elective surgery means planned in advance....

Unless a surgery is performed emergently to preserve life or limb, it is an elective procedure...

As for people "growing old with their joint issues" that is still an option today, no one forces anyone to have an "elective joint replacement".

I personally have seen many patients who would LOVE to have a joint replacement but they aren't medically able to be cleared, are too heavy or otherwise not a surgical candidate.

There are risks to waiting too long for joint replacement for the elderly, other health issues crop up that make that the procedure too dangerous and it does not get any easier as one ages to go through the stress of surgery and rehab...

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate even a moment if I needed a joint replacement because I would rather preserve my quality of life and remain active despite the risks of surgery if my mobility were significantly impaired...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or