U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 AM

15,247 posts, read 4,803,603 times

Advertisements

I'm dealing with right knee issues, left knee is fine. Right knee is side of right hip replacement. I just went thru a nasty staph infection and spent a lot of months in hospital/rehabs. The thought of going to hospital and rehab again just makes me crazy. Got this message this morning from an Osteo group:

((Ever wonder when you should get that Knee Replacement Surgery? Many Have.

In fact, over 600,000 people get knee replacement surgery Every Year! It's definitely not an unusual procedure.

If you're wondering if now is the time for the surgery consider the following:

-Do you still have more time to try other treatments that aren't as invasive?
-Is the knee pain too great that it is hindering your day to day life?
-Does the pain prevent you from sleeping well?

There are also other symptoms you should consider and other reasons why delaying a surgery might be effective.))

My knee issue definitely does hinder my day to day life.

I do sleep very well in spite of knee issue.

And PRP could still be an option from Dr. Darrow.

Do others relate?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:56 AM

18,696 posts, read 4,559,483 times
When I couldn't straighten my left knee and it hurt even after having the surgery to clean it out, I decided to get the knee replacement surgery. I was not pressured to get it, the doctor said whenever I decided I wanted it done he would do it. So glad I had it done right away, no problems, healing was fine, pain was gone.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
When I couldn't straighten my left knee and it hurt even after having the surgery to clean it out, I decided to get the knee replacement surgery. I was not pressured to get it, the doctor said whenever I decided I wanted it done he would do it. So glad I had it done right away, no problems, healing was fine, pain was gone.
Thing is I can straighten my knee and do some exercises every day to keep doing the straightening work.

During the staph infection mess, "they" did a "clean out" and wonder if that did more harm than good. Perhaps if they had just let the abx drugs do their job and NOT do the "clean out" I'd be better off now. I'll never know, will I.

I didn't want a hip surgery either, but when the groin pain was waking me during the night, I guess it was time and xrays showed a lot of jagged bone spurs around right groin. No more groin pain BUT a few nasty side effects from the surgery...could have been sloppy on surgeon's part or I was just an unlucky one. And I went with the latest more advanced replacement and ended up with the complications of the surgery...since then I've done a lot of reading about the latest anterior replacement and the side effects.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 AM

18,696 posts, read 4,559,483 times
Sorry you are having so much trouble with your knee, I can only relate my experience which is not the same. I was limping around because my knee was slightly bent all the time. I was able to sleep, the pain was not bad but I could tell it was not going to get better with time.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:30 PM

67,263 posts, read 76,968,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm dealing with right knee issues, left knee is fine. Right knee is side of right hip replacement. I just went thru a nasty staph infection and spent a lot of months in hospital/rehabs. The thought of going to hospital and rehab again just makes me crazy. Got this message this morning from an Osteo group:

((Ever wonder when you should get that Knee Replacement Surgery? Many Have.

In fact, over 600,000 people get knee replacement surgery Every Year! It's definitely not an unusual procedure.

If you're wondering if now is the time for the surgery consider the following:

-Do you still have more time to try other treatments that aren't as invasive?
-Is the knee pain too great that it is hindering your day to day life?
-Does the pain prevent you from sleeping well?

There are also other symptoms you should consider and other reasons why delaying a surgery might be effective.))

My knee issue definitely does hinder my day to day life.

I do sleep very well in spite of knee issue.

And PRP could still be an option from Dr. Darrow.

Do others relate?
I trusted the advise of my orthomedist. He told me, when I was ready to let him know. Knee surgery is always elective as he said. I tried the cortisone shots and the gel. They both worked for awhile but would wear off. I wasn't in so much pain I couldn't sleep or it interfered with my life, but it did hurt. I decided to do it before, not after the pain was unbearable. I think deciding to have it when I did helped my recovery. Sure, the first few weeks were not a fun time, and the physical T was awful, but all in all, I have never regretted not waiting. I probably could have gone easily another year. I think age also is a factor. The older we get, the harder the recovery and I was already 78.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM

1,213 posts, read 359,762 times
My wife had total knee replacement surgery in 2016 on her right knee. Recovery took about 6 months, but she is pain free now. Her left knee is giving her problems, but we are holding out for better insurance rates so she dropped her coverage for 2017. Private health insurance in Oregon is ridiculous right now. Hopefully it will get better next year, but I'm not holing my breath.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:56 PM

How much damage is done to the knee is a big factor. I have a friend who did one at 86 and she's now 91. She could not walk up her stairs anymore, or with a lot of pain. She's glad she did it and it does get stiff and she works it...rocking the knee back and forth for a lot of a count.

My friend took my to CVS and market yesterday, she drove me and I did the walking in the stores with walker. I had not been in these stores for just under a year, back in Nov 2016 is when things went to pot with the infection.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:10 PM

Just talking to my mail lady and she has knee OA and was telling me one of her co workers could not take it any longer so finally did the knee replacement. 6 weeks post op were tough but now he's so happy he did it. Hear this story so much.

Maybe it will be for me afterall.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 PM

2,154 posts, read 719,819 times
The fact that you're thinking about it means the time may be coming. Either you're in pain or wanting better mobility or there's another reason it's on your mind. I understand what a horror the last mess was for you, but most times things go more smoothly. Before you get used to the idea, just make sure to factor in all the weeks of PT, which are tough for everyone no matter the reason they have to go through it. It takes a lot of energy to heal.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 PM

6,779 posts, read 4,952,894 times
You will know when it's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or