Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 06:48 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In as much as I embrace alternative, natural health modalities, as an adjunct, and sometimes a substitute for conventional medicine, I do not think strep is to be toyed with.

There are so many serious problems that can result from untreated strep. Please see your health care practitioner - MD, DO, NP or PA - and take the antibiotics that you are prescribed.

Discuss your concerns relating to your ulcer with your practitioner.

STREP is SERIOUS!
One of my friends developed scarlet fever after his wife told him to persevere because she didn't think he really needed to go to the doctor. He said it was a lot of fun. Helen Keller really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 01:15 PM

344 posts, read 430,267 times
Well I got back my throat culture lab test.. its NEGATIVE. So the doc said dont take antibiotics now.. im so confused.. my Rapid Step Test was POSITIVE.. how can my throat culture test be negative now.. my throat hurts a little. But I dont get it. Should I take the antibitocs anyway to be on the safe side.. I do have a lot of nasal discharge .. thick and yellow.. like to the point its like syrup.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:25 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale12 View Post
Well I got back my throat culture lab test.. its NEGATIVE. So the doc said dont take antibiotics now.. im so confused.. my Rapid Step Test was POSITIVE.. how can my throat culture test be negative now.. my throat hurts a little. But I dont get it. Should I take the antibitocs anyway to be on the safe side.. I do have a lot of nasal discharge .. thick and yellow.. like to the point its like syrup.
My advice: don't take the antibiotic if the doc says you don't need it. We see growing resistance in bacteria as a result of their overuse. But if you've already started, don't stop until you've taken it all; stopping early will knock out the least resistant strains and leave the more resistant strains. Most sore throats are caused by viruses -- and an antibiotic works only against bacterial infections. If you got a false positive on the Rapid Strep Test -- well, no test is 100% accurate. See:

Rapid Strep Test Kit: Accuracy, Sensitivity, Procedure

Did you ask the doc why the Rapid Strep Test was positive and the throat culture was negative?

Old 10-01-2017, 02:42 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Well I got back my throat culture lab test.. its NEGATIVE. So the doc said dont take antibiotics now.. i Should I take the antibitocs anyway to be on the safe side.
Listen to your doctor.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Well I have not started yet.. im just wondering why my rapid came out positive.. and the culture came out negative.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Well I have not started yet.. im just wondering why my rapid came out positive.. and the culture came out negative.
It's a question you could ask the doctor, but the rapid test is not as reliable as the culture. The difference is waiting for the answer. Now you've waited and you have the real answer and if your doctor says you don't need the antibiotics, then don't take them. They won't help a regular sore throat anyway. They're for a strep INFECTION and you don't have an infection, just a little sore throat. You should be glad!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Oddly, my late husband was prone towards strep throat, and I never caught it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-02-2017, 12:15 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well, that's actually not what caused her blindness in real life. That was made up for tv. Don't get your medical advice from tv. There was just a thread where someone was talking about how a disease was treated on Bonanza so that's how we should treat it today!
I've never seen the TV show. I was a big fan of the books when I was a kid, and that's what they attributed her blindness to. Is there more to the story, then?

Old 10-02-2017, 12:18 PM

So I am at the doctors office now.. saw another doctor and he saw my test results and scratched his head because he doesn't know why I came out negative. He did another RAPID strep test, and I came out POSITIVE AGAIN! What is going on.. twice now POSITIVE for strep with rapid... but the culture was NEGATIVE from before.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:11 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
One of my friends developed scarlet fever after his wife told him to persevere because she didn't think he really needed to go to the doctor. He said it was a lot of fun. Helen Keller really enjoyed it.
I was always given Penicillin when I had strep as a child back in the 50's. Liquid, pint sized bottle which tasted like bubble gum and needed to be put in the fridge. I had seen a doctor and been taking it when I got scarlet fever at 6 years old.

I remember it very well over 60 years later. 105 fever. One night I had a very bad nightmare and covered the sheets in sweat. I vaguely remember my Grandma putting me in a tub with ice cubes. When I woke up, my fever was gone. It did however take months to recover until I was strong enough to go back to school.

Actually after my episode with scarlet fever, I never had strep again, including being around my own daughter who also got strep a lot as a child, WITH going to doctors and taking antibiotics. I guess she inherited my predisposition to it. My older daughter never had strep. It's not one size fits ALL.

I can remember as a child, and with my own daughter, we were told by doctors that after taking antibiotics for 48 hours, you are no long contagious for strep. Even if the person is still experiencing sore throat? I say this because my now adult daughter had strep, was taking antibiotics for 20 days (given another script after first), and still experiencing the symptoms. After the 2nd script, she decided to try letting the symptoms go away on their own. One poster seemed horrified at that. How LONG can a person take antibiotics?

BTW, it was an episode of Little House where Mary became blind from scarlet fever, not Helen Keller. It was made up for TV. In real life nobody knew why Mary Ingels back in the 1800's became blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness