Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:25 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I've had the same pill bottle of opioids for over a year.
LOL, so have I! I just went back to the doctor and asked for a renewal of the prescription, but told him I only needed one more bottle, not a bottle per month. So he did that...one bottle, no refills. Guess I don't have an addictive personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I took it for awhile. Did nothing, felt nothing. Different doses.

But, no anti-depressants work for me either.

I do ingest an mj brownie for good sleep, but never feel "high" like DH claims to be.

I've had the same pill bottle of opioids for over a year. I like knowing they are there, I might take one if something is really bothering me. Some of us are just annoyingly resistant to "everything".

Except morphine---now there is a good one!
I'm the opposite. I react to everything. And Morphine doesn't work. It keeps me awake at night and doesn't stop the pain. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
LOL, so have I! I just went back to the doctor and asked for a renewal of the prescription, but told him I only needed one more bottle, not a bottle per month. So he did that...one bottle, no refills. Guess I don't have an addictive personality.
Be glad you don't it's a lifelong battle.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Be glad you don't it's a lifelong battle.
I am glad, very thankful. I've seen what it can do to people.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Ah, I see.

Well, I'm not sure if the gabapentin would be any cheaper because I have insurance and it pays for half up to $55, so all the Lyrica is costing me is $55 a month. Do you think it would be cheaper than that?
Not sure how old you are, but I have both Medicare and a supplementary insurance. It's been several years ago since I last used Neurontin/Gabapentin. Neurontin is a brand name and more expensive. Gabapentin is the generic form, and is a lot cheaper in price. That said, after insurance, I think the cost to me for a 90-day supply of Gabapentin was either $6 or $18. I honestly don't remember now, but it was relatively cheap. It might be a little higher in price now, but I imagine it's still affordable.

If you're NOT eligible for Medicare, you might check with the state you live in to see if they have any prescription plans (provided by the state) available for residents who are not otherwise insured for medications. In the state I live in, the state prescription plan is free. Discounts are as high as 80% for some generics, and say the average discount is usually around 50%. You can't have any other prescription plans, including Medicare, though. You have to choose one plan or the other. Generic medications are encouraged if generic forms are available, because it's cheaper. Prices at different pharmacies can also vary, so it's a good idea to call around first so you can compare prices. You should be able to buy brand names if you want, although it will be higher in price than the generics. In addition, the dosage per capsule can vary and can be higher in price for stronger doses. Dosage strength depend on how much you need per day, and whether the physician agrees. Sometimes taking one larger dosed capsule might be cheaper than taking 2 or 3 lower doses per day. Again, compare price differences. Ad it depends on what your physician thinks is best suitable for you.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Oh...my....goodness. I wonder if I have finally pinpointed the root of some of my recent problems in life???

It might actually be I am finally getting an answer(s).

Could my use of this drug be the root of my loss of coordination issues?

I have been a BIG golfer for the last half of my life (since I was 19 years old or so) and this past summer I felt like I totally lost all ability with my golf game - I pegged it up to every and anything under the sun except the increased dose of gabapentin I have been on for a little while now.

At work (I work nights) some times I will get SO tired and fatigued, almost to the point of I feel like I can hardly walk another step. I've felt more clumsy and uncoordinated. Even behind the wheel of my car I can feel a little out of it at times.

I thought it was my chewing tobacco use (which I've stopped, to no avail, regarding my fatigue and tiredness issues), I thought I was physically seriously ILL - I had tests done on me for Lyme disease, I thought I might be getting the onset of ALS. I thought it was possibly because of my alcoholism which was a living hell for me and I have been sober now for 10 months and just wondered if my drinking had done some seriously mental damage to my nerves.

I honestly could not figure out why I lost SO MUCH COORDINATION - could it be that my taking of this medication has been the root of some of these problems all along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had gabapentin to help me sleep but the problem was that it made me feel like I was drunk for several hours beforehand. It must have very different effects on different people.

I also knew someone who had memory loss on too high a dose. Once they lowered the dose she was fine though. She was taking it for pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
It made me beyond sleepy. I was totally non functioning while I was on it. I started at a low dose and then even lower just to get it into my system. I also took it at night. It got rid of my pain but I could not carry on with my life.

Last edited by Kavalier; 11-17-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
I think I've also had issues with having a less clear mind. Mental feelings of...just not feeling myself - foggy, whatever. Physical weakness as well. Physically feeling just WEAK.

I was on (I think) 900mg, twice a day, or at some point it was 600mg, three times a day. I was then at some point upped to 900mg three times daily.

Could that sort of dose(s) make me feel discombobulated and such? Physically tired, weak, mentally foggy?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 AM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
[quote=kapikap;49676291]any good / bad experiences with this medication. I will be using it for nerve pain, but I am skeptical in hearing the horror stories.[/QUOTE

The horror stories are true. I started gabapentin after taking five other seizures meds and by far gabapentin was the worst. I was on a schedule that gradually increased my dosage. After reaching my maximum level I checked the side effects and I had almost every one of them.

My balance was totally off, I was gaining weight like crazy, etc., etc. I decided to wean myself off the drug and after a week I completely stopped taking it. I felt much better and I have now been off gabapentin for a month now.

Cymbalta is a great drug for nerve pain, I have been taking it for 5 years with no side effects. Everyone reacts differently to drugs and you may or may not have all the side effects listed, but I cannot take any drug for seizures. Factually, 30% of the people cannot take anti-seizure meds because of the horrendous side effects.

Gabapentin is prescribed for seizure control and nerve pain. If you don't have a seizure disorder. STAY AWAY from that drug.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
A friend who has dealt with ideopathic neuropathy for probably 30 yrs she says, but I believe it's from statins she took and good chance she's diabetic, says she's borderline...she took gabapentin for years and had side effects like nausea, dizzy and talks about coordination. I believe she's OFF it totally now for a couple yrs and most of the side effects she had are gone, says the coordination is still an issue but she's improved ... btw: she's taking grape seed ex for 5-6 yrs and nerve issues are improved...it's working on circulation.

Being aware and figuring it out takes time and continued work. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 AM

My balance is terrible but it was getting that way before I started taking Lyrica. My mom got that way also as she got older and she never took Lyrica nor Neurontin. And she was always very physically active.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:50 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
took gabapentin again recently and --nothing! Zip. Nada. Did nothing to help RLS. Lyrica makes my feet swell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness