Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:16 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And best to have very few clothes covering your body. Best in bathing suit or birthday suit.

I was a low 16 back in 2006 and I had been in the sun in bathing/birthday suits for years but came in from the sun and it took 6 months of 4K d3 daily to get to about 34 as I think back to that time. I was feeling a lowness in my being when I was 16 and felt much improved by 34 but when I hit 80 on the range, I was feel tip top and then the hip surgery zapped my Vit D...and I've been working up with it again.

Range is 20-100 in a lot of labs and doctors are NOT sure for anyone what is optimal for them. It's learning to work with your D3 and your body and how you are feeling...and getting labs now and then.
The sun actually has to hit your skin in order for it to absorb the D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You need to talk to your MD.

First of all, there is no where in The US where you can get enough sun to have a normal Vit D level. Long before you got enough sun, you'd have a bad sunburn. (I'm assuming you're in The US.)

Secondly, you need to know how deficient you are. Simple blood test.

Thirdly, if you're mildly deficient (and almost all adult Americans are, especially as the years go by), your MD will probably Rx 50,000 IU of Vit D3, once a week, for 5-6 weeks. Once your level is in the normal range, then 2000-5000 IU a day from then on. But you really need to listen to your MD.

Oh -- Vit D deficiency is serious. It's very bad for your brain including what you mentioned and a lot more.

Ask your MD.
That's exactly what my doctor told me, he said you are kidding yourself if you think sunbathing will provide you with enough vitamin D. He also said it's more like a hormone than a vitamin and effects at least 30 systems in your body. I had mine tested and it was 7, at the same time I had a rash that my dermatologist was unable to find the cause of, even after extensive allergy testing. I started by taking 10k units every day for a few weeks (prescribed) and I now take 2000 units a day, my vitamin d level has been a consistent 33 for the past few years and while it might be anecdotal the rash went away when my vitamin D level became normal

Old 09-30-2017, 06:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
From the years of 20something to mid 50's I spent hours on end at the beach in scant clothing...sun was hitting my skin big time. I would spend a whole day at the beach.

When I "came in" from the sun and got glued to computer, a lowness hit my being...the Vit D was emptying out of my D tank.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Vitamin D is closer to a hormone than a vitamin.

I live in South Florida and my levels are above average and I don't suppliment. I'm outside every day.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I live in Hawaii, spend time outside, figured I didn't need Vit. D
But my doc says otherwise--She's deficient in D despite an outdoor lifestyle.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Along with supplements you can sit outside in the sunshine for ten minutes. Do it without sunscreen. Obviously don't so it when it is really hot. A little sunshine goes a long way in getting your D.
Actually anyone north of say, St. Louis doesn't really get any vit D from Oct to April - at least. How long you get sun is determinated by latitude and type of year. And for most of us a lot of the year its nada. However its my limited understanding that if you get a fair amount of sun during vit d producing times it lasts awhile in your body.

Also I think you are supposed to take it with a little bit of fat (meal)

Specifics seem very hard to come by.

Im hoping someday someone comes up with an accurate app based on logitude, time of year and level of sunniness = how long you need to get sun a day.

You can buy special lights that give you vit d, but they also would give you skin cancer so......

Last edited by Giesela; 10-01-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
It seems as if many of us are vitamin D deficient today.

Why Are So Many People Popping Vitamin D? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/h...s.html?mcubz=0

Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Vitamin D is closer to a hormone than a vitamin.

I live in South Florida and my levels are above average and I don't suppliment. I'm outside every day.
I agree about the hormone aspect and if you can get plenty being outside good on you. Do It...I did it for years. But I also got to the skin cancer fear point, so that also got me in plus my body after menopause just didn't tolerate the sun like I could for years before.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Actually anyone north of say, St. Louis doesn't really get any vit D from Oct to April - at least. How long you get sun is determinated by latitude and type of year. And for most of us a lot of the year its nada. However its my limited understanding that if you get a fair amount of sun during vit d producing times it lasts awhile in your body.

Also I think you are supposed to take it with a little bit of fat (meal)

Specifics seem very hard to come by.

Im hoping someday someone comes up with an accurate app based on logitude, time of year and level of sunniness = how long you need to get sun a day.

You can buy special lights that give you vit d, but they also would give you skin cancer so......
I've heard for a long while anyone north of Atlanta can be deficient. I don't need an app as I just supplement daily as even though I live in a sunny climate I don't have sun tolerance anymore and know where I've been with labs since I started on this journey in 2006.

But I think it's good to get a guideline to start from. If one lives in non sunny places.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's exactly what my doctor told me, he said you are kidding yourself if you think sunbathing will provide you with enough vitamin D. He also said it's more like a hormone than a vitamin and effects at least 30 systems in your body. I had mine tested and it was 7, at the same time I had a rash that my dermatologist was unable to find the cause of, even after extensive allergy testing. I started by taking 10k units every day for a few weeks (prescribed) and I now take 2000 units a day, my vitamin d level has been a consistent 33 for the past few years and while it might be anecdotal the rash went away when my vitamin D level became normal
other doctors may disagree. Many have said, 10 minutes a day, in the sun will help solve the problems unless you are really low on D. 'and 10 minutes will not hurt anyone. Of according to a couple of doctors I have talked with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness