Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:36 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
One correction, the Rx of 50K is D2 less absorbable. One can buy otc 50K D3 if they want to work the more superior Vit D3.
That's what I said: D3. And you can't buy 50,000 IU of D3 over the counter in The US. I suppose you could take ten 5000 IU (5000 IU can be purchased OTC). However, mega-dosing on ANYTHING (except Vit C) without being under a MD's supervision is very unwise. And we can't megadose Vit C either if we're prone to kidney or gall stones.

Vitamins and minerals are nothing to fool around with. The bad thing is that we usually know more than most MDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The sun actually has to hit your skin in order for it to absorb the D.
The sun also has to be in a certain position in the sky.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
other doctors may disagree. Many have said, 10 minutes a day, in the sun will help solve the problems unless you are really low on D. 'and 10 minutes will not hurt anyone. Of according to a couple of doctors I have talked with.
MOST MDs don't know much about vitamins and minerals. They MAY get ONE course in nutrition while they are in med school. I'm 68, and I've never ever heard any medical professional say that 10 minutes a day will do the trick. If that were true, MOST of the people in The US wouldn't be deficient in Vit D.

So if you're deficient, and you think 10 minutes a day in the sun (and fortified milk) is taking care of it -- I'd find another MD. Because being deficient is very serious. Do your own research (on reputable web sites).

Oh, that reminds me: I was watching an episode of "Doc Martin" just yesterday. In it he gave completely wrong medical advice. I can't remember what it was -- but I remember thinking about ALL the viewers who had watched this episode and now believed seriously wrong medical advice. We gotta be careful.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:45 PM

282 posts, read 232,630 times
Most people have less vitamin D in their systems than it "optimal." Especially if you use sunscreen religiously since sunlight is the most efficient natural source of vitamin D.

A severe deficiency of D is called rickets, and you can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickets

That said, if you get out in the sunlight for half an hour every day exposing your face, neck, arms and hands you probably won't ever be deficient enough to need supplements. If you are in the winter and can't expose that much because of the cold a low dose from the local Walgreens is all you need but combine it with calcium because the two bond together better. You can even find chewable calcium that has vitamin D in it, that'd be enough if you take it every day.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
MOST MDs don't know much about vitamins and minerals. They MAY get ONE course in nutrition while they are in med school. I'm 68, and I've never ever heard any medical professional say that 10 minutes a day will do the trick. If that were true, MOST of the people in The US wouldn't be deficient in Vit D.

So if you're deficient, and you think 10 minutes a day in the sun (and fortified milk) is taking care of it -- I'd find another MD. Because being deficient is very serious. Do your own research (on reputable web sites).

Oh, that reminds me: I was watching an episode of "Doc Martin" just yesterday. In it he gave completely wrong medical advice. I can't remember what it was -- but I remember thinking about ALL the viewers who had watched this episode and now believed seriously wrong medical advice. We gotta be careful.
Um, Doc Martin is a British comedy fiction series. The doctor isn't a real doctor he's an actor named Martin Clunes. His character's last name is Bamford. You'd have to be pretty stupid to believe what you see on a fictional comedy TV series.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
T

Vitamins and minerals are nothing to fool around with. The bad thing is that we usually know more than most MDs.
Studies have been coming out showing that taking too much a some common vitamins can actually cause health problems.

I noticed I have a vitamin D test on my labs this round.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-03-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Studies have been coming out showing that taking too much a some common vitamins can actually cause health problems.

My nurse-midwife (she works in the ob/gyn practice I go to) showed me my nutrition panel results and explained them to me. I was low in D, but she said the level wasn't too bad and that it was probably just because it was early winter at the time. So she had me take a chewable calcium with d supplement once a day for the winter. A low D3 level can contribute to seasonal affective disorder, and I get symptoms of it every year. Some years worse than others. The year I started taking the calcium + d3 in the winter, the symptoms were very mild. A little achey, general blahs, but no sudden crying or serious pain or extreme mood swings. Now, I start taking the calcium + d3 around the middle of November, stop it some time in early March, and the symptoms are always mild now. As long as I live in this part of the country I expect I'll feel "something" other than perfectly fine in the wintertime. Always have, all my life. Glad it's not as bad as it used to be and it seems like the calcium + D3 has decreased the severity.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

pretty much do agree with you about the classes doctors take, but I also think they spend some time keeping up with the latest information on most health related topics.

As for seeing something on TV that is totally wrong, I don't know about you, but I do know, I am not in a position to know what is fact and what is not. I take anything I see or hear pretty much with a grain of salt.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:

MDs learn about nutrition through a variety of courses in physiology and pathology and more during residency. The absence of a series of twenty courses labeled "nutrition" does not mean they know nothing about nutrition.

Whether you can make enough vitamin D from sunlight exposure depends on your skin type and where you live. For someone with fair skin who does not live too far north, ten minutes a day at midday, with as much skin exposed as is decent and no sunscreen, might do it.

The way to find out whether you are deficient is to check a blood level. If you are deficient, take a supplement, because it is clear you are not getting enough from diet alone.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...gh-vitamin-d#1

Old 10-04-2017, 08:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

They have gotten cheaper so are now more common. Mine was done for no particular reason - just part of regular bloodwork. A high % of people are now found with deficiencies.

I don't remember how many units I was scripted, but it was a once a week thing for 18 weeks and then re-check.

The OP should not rely on sunlight or regular supplements to get levels up from a deficiency level. after the course of the super-high potency levels should be re-checked and then adjust accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness