Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:50 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Ok, here we go again, there are exceptions. How many have had tummy discomfort in their lives, in the days gone by it was a tummy ache -- remember those or are you all so much younger that you never heard of tummy ache. Not everyone ends up with appendicitis!!!! How about that good ole "gas" issue, anyone ever have gas problems.
Who goes to the doctor for gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:54 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Who goes to the doctor for gas?
Plenty of people actually. I did and had an intestinal blockage.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:04 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Ok, here we go again, there are exceptions. How many have had tummy discomfort in their lives, in the days gone by it was a tummy ache -- remember those or are you all so much younger that you never heard of tummy ache. Not everyone ends up with appendicitis!!!! How about that good ole "gas" issue, anyone ever have gas problems.
Words like "gastralgia" or "gastrodynia" are actual words to describe the same dang thing. I don't think I've used the words "tummy ache" to describe abdominal pain in 20 years. There are also bigger, scarier words for "gas pains". Just because you don't like/understand them doesn't make them any less valid

Old 10-02-2017, 04:29 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Words like "gastralgia" or "gastrodynia" are actual words to describe the same dang thing. I don't think I've used the words "tummy ache" to describe abdominal pain in 20 years. There are also bigger, scarier words for "gas pains". Just because you don't like/understand them doesn't make them any less valid
The use of the words "tummy ache" are more suitable for talking to a three year old about where it hurts.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:18 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
And the only symptom was gas? I would think the pain of a blockage would be more than a tummy ache of gas.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:33 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
And the only symptom was gas? I would think the pain of a blockage would be more than a tummy ache of gas.

It gets very painful but the pain of obstruction, especially early in the process, can be intermittent and vary in intensity. Gas can get pretty painful too.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:13 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
There is a Dr. Wilkes (I believe is his name) who offers medical advice in 5 minute segments per day on NPR and I happened to hear him this morning. It's always a fluke since I don't live by the clock to hear his 5 minute comments.

He said that today's health issues have been so "medicalized" that one can go to the doctor with a stomach problem and come out with a long medical term which can commonly be a tummy ache. Remember those folks...

Brings to mind the jargon and medicalization on MRI's...I have two for my back from about 2011 and you'd think I'd be dead by now.

We've been so medicalized and have a lot of fear about so much today that can be nothing.

A little baking soda for that tummy ache can go a long way.
I think the long medical terms are necessary for insurance coding paperwork. The insurance companies are in control of what a doctor gets paid for your visit.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think the long medical terms are necessary for insurance coding paperwork. The insurance companies are in control of what a doctor gets paid for your visit.
very true.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post

Me too. Almost died. Pushed my stomach out like I was pregnant. They had to put a tube down my nose into my stomach to let the gas out.

The consensus was too much fiber---eat more processed foods. How often do you hear THAT?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:40 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
For me it was. It was the inability to pass gas that actually made me worried enough to head to the ER. I had a 4 on the actual gas pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness