U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 13,359 times

Advertisements

so I'm 2 weeks post op, and I have soo many Facebook friends that have had their gallbladder removed and they all say they had no problem afterwards and that maybe I should contact my doctor about it, but the nurse said it's normal for some people.
I had no stones. my gallbladder just wasn't working. before surgery I was constantly sick for about a month, nausea, pain, it was horrible. since the surgery though, I still get nauseous. mostly mornings, but sometimes it does last just about all day. I have zofran, but like this morning, i took one and it didnt really help much. it used to completely help but now not so much. it makes it hard to eat sometimes. my nurse said as long as I'm drinking everything is ok but when I don't eat the nausea gets worse and I feel like im about to pass out. i just dont know if this is normal. i cant take it anymore. i want to get back to doing whatci want when i want and this sucks. most days is spent with me at home not going out, mostly sitting down nauseated . is this normal after gallbladder removal? had anyone else went thru this or is this not normal? if it is normal go long does it last? i cant take it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM

35,109 posts, read 40,193,301 times
No one can give you medical advice, make an appointment with your Doctor instead of just talking to the Nurse.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM

2,655 posts, read 1,545,959 times
My nausea was on and off for a few months after my gall bladder. It flared up with any rich or fried foods or if I didn't keep something in my stomach. Also spicy food was bad. It does get better but I lived on zofran for a while. Hang in there!

Old 10-06-2017, 09:18 AM

yes i went to the doctor tuesday andbi told him about it and he wasnt concerned about it. he was more concerned about getting me back on my medicine as a lot of them I was told not to take until I get better.

i just feel like I'm never going to get better. I've been dealing with this constantly for over a month now and I'm just literally crying sometimes over how I feel. i kniw the nurse said its nirmal but i have never felt this bad this long. i just dont know what to do anymore. i want to feel normal again.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM

2,655 posts, read 1,545,959 times
I felt the same way and I promise it gets better. I was literally in tears thinking about never eating Mexican again or silly other stuff. Over time it gets better. By 3 months I was back to eating and drinking normally for the most part. Greasy food has kind of bothered me ever since but toads bad for me anyways.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 AM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
Toads are bad for you?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 AM

3,282 posts, read 1,340,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Toads are bad for you?
only if you lick them.

OP - seriously, it took four months to feel normal after my gall bladder surgery, but little by little you will. Surgeons never tell you all the truth and little details going in - if they did, no one would ever agree to any of their procedures. And I hate when they tell you you "can" be back to work and just like nothing ever happened in 5 minutes! You can, but probably not.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 PM

wow. 3-4 months seems like such a long time from now, I'm only 2 weeks out. today I literally feel like I could throw up, but I have not. I hate it. i called my Dr office and left a message earlier and they just called. I told them how I felt and they are supposed to call me back but not sure when. I hate this. i felt horrible before surgery, but now I still feel bad just in a different way. today's nausea literally feels like it did before surgery. and so many of my Facebook friends said they had no problem after surgery, even my aunt. no nausea or anything. here I am like yeah just my luck that I would.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:35 PM

13,006 posts, read 6,219,411 times
It seems that it's different for everybody. I know one person who never had any problems and bounced back quickly, even with the old-style surgery.

I had mine out 28 years ago---right around the time laprascopic surgery was in its infancy, so I ended up with the conventional surgery. In my case, I had to have emergency surgery (2 weeks before the scheduled date) because despite my doing everything possible to eat an oil-free diet, a couple of stones ended up in the common bile duct. So, perhaps, laprascopic surgery wouldn't have worked for me.

It took me a full month until I felt fully better. Most of the time I was just dragging and had little energy. The one time I felt nauseous was when they injected fluoroscopic dye into me to make sure there weren't any stray stones left. I swear, right after they injected it into me, I thought I was going to throw up.

OP---you're just 2 weeks out. Give it time. I had to stay out of work for a month, and once back, I couldn't do any heavy lifting for another month (I worked in a library and often had to deal with pushing heavy carts of books). Also, I couldn't drive for a month.

The cholecystectomy was the second surgery I had had. The first surgery was a C-section, which I recovered from quickly. It was a shock to me to discover that I couldn't bounce back quickly from gallbladder removal---and I was 35 at the time.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:46 PM

667 posts, read 282,467 times
No nausea for me, but I have chronic squirts now. I have to take Questran to bind what I eat so it doesn't come right back out the other end. Doctors are too lazy to take out a gall stone and remove the whole organ stating it is not needed. If it was not needed, we would not be born with one. Duh. I should have done more investigating on the problems of not having a gall bladder and insisted he take the stone out and leave it. Alas...that horse already escaped the barn.

When I complained I had diarrhea all the time, he said he never heard of such a thing. LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE. I printed out pages and pages from Google of people having chronic diarrhea after gall bladder surgery removal. Pages. Thousands of links.

So, if you can keep your gall bladder...do so. Otherwise, join the rest of us in poop land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or