U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2017, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Southern California
28,800 posts, read 11,455,921 times
Reputation: 18462

Advertisements

A friend just posted this one on another health group. I don't think it's been posted here but I can't keep track of all the links posted.

Pricier meds mean worse side effects, thanks to
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
38,576 posts, read 24,287,921 times
Reputation: 55104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A friend just posted this one on another health group. I don't think it's been posted here but I can't keep track of all the links posted.

Pricier meds mean worse side effects, thanks to

Did you read that article? You do understand that it doesn't say there are worse side effects from pricier meds?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 PM
 
617 posts, read 274,769 times
Reputation: 473
There was another study about the placebo effect and brands. In this one, the brand placebo worked better than the generic placebo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
30,224 posts, read 32,658,347 times
Reputation: 37377
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
There was another study about the placebo effect and brands. In this one, the brand placebo worked better than the generic placebo.
Placebos are fun. Big pills work better than little ones, colored pills better than white ones, capsules better than tablets, shots better than pills, and sham surgery best of all. Two doses work better than one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 08:32 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
11,521 posts, read 8,365,467 times
Reputation: 17548
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Placebos are fun. Big pills work better than little ones, colored pills better than white ones, capsules better than tablets, shots better than pills, and sham surgery best of all. Two doses work better than one.
And of course the more you pay for them, the better. Because of course, you know you always get what you pay for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM
 
282 posts, read 166,895 times
Reputation: 639
Marketing, marketing, marketing. The word "supports" has become a catch-phrase for "this works good, you totes want to stock up." Supports bone health, supports kidney function, supports memory health. Pro-tip: regular excercise supports bone health. Drinking water and not over-drinking booze supports kidney function. Doing math and playing memory games supports memory health. All of these things are FREE.

Basically - they could have an unimpressive looking white pill in a plain boring bottle, but if the label says it SUPPORTS something - people will buy it. Even if is just made out of powdered wall board compressed with a drop of vanilla flavoring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
38,576 posts, read 24,287,921 times
Reputation: 55104
I view people who take supps the same as those who take Rx, from the stand point that they want a pill to fix things, instead of diet and exercise.

Neither are a best first course of action.

But that is not on topic for the OP.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
11,521 posts, read 8,365,467 times
Reputation: 17548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I view people who take supps the same as those who take Rx, from the stand point that they want a pill to fix things, instead of diet and exercise.

Neither are a best first course of action.

But that is not on topic for the OP.
IMO, supplements ( some, anyway), might be helpful in addition to the diet and exercise. I don't believe supplements, whatever their effectiveness might be, can work independently of those other things to maintain one's health.

So I exercise regularly, try to maintain a healthy diet, and take krill oil to help with healthy lipid levels, vitamin D, calcium supplement and an old lady multivitamin just in case. Unfortunately these measures have not eliminated some need to take prescription drugs for chronic conditions I also take prescription eye drops for glaucoma, two prescription drugs for control of hypertension and cardiac arrthymias I have had most of my life, but that's it. And contrary to some of those disparaging claims made about doctors and traditional medicine on these health forums, my cardiologist has actually decreased the number of prescription drugs I've taken. He cut two of them out altogether, advocating, instead, the role of diet and exercise in maintaining health.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Southern California
28,800 posts, read 11,455,921 times
Reputation: 18462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Marketing, marketing, marketing. The word "supports" has become a catch-phrase for "this works good, you totes want to stock up." Supports bone health, supports kidney function, supports memory health. Pro-tip: regular excercise supports bone health. Drinking water and not over-drinking booze supports kidney function. Doing math and playing memory games supports memory health. All of these things are FREE.

Basically - they could have an unimpressive looking white pill in a plain boring bottle, but if the label says it SUPPORTS something - people will buy it. Even if is just made out of powdered wall board compressed with a drop of vanilla flavoring.

Oh yeah that marketing marketing, I'm now void of seeing all those pharma TV ads as I've pulled the plug out of cable tv...don't miss it for a second and for sure not the glorious drug ads!!! Or am I the only one who sees pharma doing their job with advtg? The U.S. and New Zealand are two countries who allow this.

And then there are the drugs one gets and the long list of possible side effects, with varying degrees of possible side effects. I have NOT met a drug that doesn't give the added benefit of side effects..maybe my thyroid.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-11-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 11:53 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
11,521 posts, read 8,365,467 times
Reputation: 17548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Marketing, marketing, marketing. The word "supports" has become a catch-phrase for "this works good, you totes want to stock up." Supports bone health, supports kidney function, supports memory health. Pro-tip: regular excercise supports bone health. Drinking water and not over-drinking booze supports kidney function. Doing math and playing memory games supports memory health. All of these things are FREE.

Basically - they could have an unimpressive looking white pill in a plain boring bottle, but if the label says it SUPPORTS something - people will buy it. Even if is just made out of powdered wall board compressed with a drop of vanilla flavoring.
Where can I get some of those vanilla flavored powdered wall board pills?

They *might* be a good placebo for something You market the stuff right, it might gain a lot of advocates who swear it's kept them healthy for 97 years!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top