Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I know you don't really care, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

....now, I haven't confirmed that there is no involvement from Big Pharma on this piece but it IS wikipedia so who knows!
I didn't read the link as I've been working with Oscillo at my side for decades. I know it's good for me...there are millions who use it. I probably have NOT taken a vial for a few yrs. I've been fine flu wise...and cold wise and and and. Too bad I can't do more for OA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
got mine today.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I always get it soon after Labor Day. Just want to ne ready when the early strains come.
Same here, each year was that way for me - except for last year because I decided to go to my PCP for the shot and he won't give it earlier than October. So I waited and sure enough ended up about two weeks later with a really nasty virus that lasted for nearly 3 weeks (could have been the flu or maybe not).

Even though it may have just been a coincidence, wasn't taking any chances this year and got the shot earlier last month (especially since it takes two weeks to become effective).

Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Never.
Second the motion. Never ever.

How many times do we hear in March or April "Oops! Last year's flu shot was found to be ineffective! A better one is being developed for the coming flu season."

Much of this meds explosion, whether BP meds from faulty BP reading technique or Ritalin for normal childhood behavior but make-believe "diagnoses" by brainwashed or dishonest docs, is all about $$$$$.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 10-10-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 12:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Just got mine the other day. Don't wait. Do it now.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:06 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

You get it annually because it is for a different strain each year based upon what they think will circulate.
I got one for the 1st time ever and it had 4(!!!) strains in it. I had a choice of a 3 or 4.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Second the motion. Never ever.

How many times do we hear in March or April "Oops! Last year's flu shot was found to be ineffective! A better one is being developed for the coming flu season."

Much of this meds explosion, whether BP meds from faulty BP reading technique or Ritalin for normal childhood behavior but make-believe "diagnoses" by brainwashed or dishonest docs, is all about $$$$$.
I'm as skeptical of "Big Pharma" and as opposed to unnecessary medical intervention as the next person, but I don't believe the flu shot is bogus. The CDC has to just guess as to what the prevalent strains may be that season based on last season, and of course it can always mutate in the meantime. It's not foolproof, but it's better than nothing and is offered free under most insurance plans. The flu is nothing to mess around with; it can be very debilitating and even deadly.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You may know that I agree. I have NOT done a "shot in the dark" for about 30 yrs....would rather keep my immune system in good condition and strong and keep Oscillo handy IF....
There is nothing about a flu shot that is "harmful to the immune system" so not sure how avoiding a recommended vaccination "keeps ones immune system in good condition" but typical

By the way, your "Oscillo"??

Does nothing....complete and utter nonsense..

Good moneymaker for supplement industry though Cheap to make from duck heart and liver....nice markup no doubt for the manufacturers.....plus they don't have to actually prove it does anything....which it doesn't

There is insufficient good evidence to enable robust conclusions to be made about Oscillococcinum® in the prevention or treatment of influenza and influenza-like illness. Homeopathic Oscillococcinum® for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like illness - Mathie - 2012 - The Cochrane Library - Wiley Online Library

Got my flu shot 2 weeks ago....required at my job but I get it every year regardless

Old 10-10-2017, 02:24 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
My husband (69) gets his Flu shot every October. This past June (Summer) he got the flu which turned into pneumonia. Guess that flu shot didn't last 8 months, or the two pneumonia vaccinations he got a few years ago.

To quote his doctor at the time, "They don't always work".

Edit: You nervous Nellies probably think my husband caught the flu and pneumonia from unvaccinated me. That old Herd Immunity thing. Yeah, I suppose being unvaccinated my elderly self, I must be a a regular Flu and Pneumonia Mary since I have no symptoms EVER either before, or after he gets these things. Oh no, unvaccinated me must have given vaccinated him SHINGLES too!!!!!

bluedevil, I don't use any supplement at all. I reply on my past history of having these diseases for immunity in the future. As with measles, mumps, chicken pox, I've lived through/had flu during the 1957 and 1968 Pandemics, plus lot of other Epidemics. So the flu "mutates", BUT has there been a completely new strain that has never been around before?

The often cited 1918 Flu Pandemic. That one affected far more young adults than older adults. WHY? There was another epidemic of the same strain in the 1880's. Older adults had immunity from that one. It also happened in 2009. Far more younger adults were affected than older adults who had lived through the 1957 Pandemic.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-10-2017 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 02:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm as skeptical of "Big Pharma" and as opposed to unnecessary medical intervention as the next person, but I don't believe the flu shot is bogus. The CDC has to just guess as to what the prevalent strains may be that season based on last season, and of course it can always mutate in the meantime. It's not foolproof, but it's better than nothing and is offered free under most insurance plans. The flu is nothing to mess around with; it can be very debilitating and even deadly.

I just can't imagine how I've made it for over 30 yrs now and no flu shots...I'm 79 and that's not a youngin...could it be the "stuff" I trust to keep my immune system strong. If I were sickly I guess I'd jump on that "shot in the dark"... we all choose don't we and I woke up years ago about how to get and keep our immune systems strong. I was at the right place at the right time and had a big wide open mind. I love NOT supporting pharma as best I can.

And yes pharma came thru for me with the abx drugs for staph infection and they got paid healthfully for their drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness