Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Blah, blah, blah.......many people really just don't care! It doesn't impact their lives directly so who cares? Lots of folks aren't watching tv shows where it was added. I don't watch tv shows about children. Bruce Jenner is just trying to stay in the limelight.....he lost the Kardashian cash cow. I have no clue about basketball and NC....don't watch basketball and I don't live anywhere near NC. They can do what they want with their bathrooms. We'll just call everyone it so no one is offended.....people are offended by everything today.
You should be concerned.

In Canada, as well as NYC, it is a HATE crime if you call a transgender person by the *wrong* pronoun.

It is redefining biology, and then putting people in jail who refuse to recognize that redefinition.

It is limiting your free speech upon penalty of jail. It should be an issue to anyone who values science and free speech.

You should be concerned.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:53 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You should be concerned.

In Canada, as well as NYC, it is a HATE crime if you call a transgender person by the *wrong* pronoun.

It is redefining biology, and then putting people in jail who refuse to recognize that redefinition.

It is limiting your free speech upon penalty of jail. It should be an issue to anyone who values science and free speech.

You should be concerned.
I don't live in Canada. I don't live in NYC. I don't live in an area where this is a big deal. I live in a very small, rural town. Unless something is passed as a state law, it will never fly here. What works in NYC doesn't work or represent the rest of the nation. I'm not concerned. People can be called whatever they want. There's much bigger problems in the world.

I just goggled the laws and they're VERY specific! You're using scare tactics and being overdramatic. The NYC law is for employers and landlords. They have to intentionally and consistently do it. It's not a one time thing.

Not using transgender pronouns could get you fined | New York Post

Old 10-10-2017, 03:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I don't live in Canada. I don't live in NYC. I don't live in an area where this is a big deal. I live in a very small, rural town. Unless something is passed as a state law, it will never fly here. What works in NYC doesn't work or represent the rest of the nation. I'm not concerned. People can be called whatever they want. There's much bigger problems in the world.

I just goggled the laws and they're VERY specific! You're using scare tactics and being overdramatic. The NYC law is for employers and landlords. They have to intentionally and consistently do it. It's not a one time thing.

Not using transgender pronouns could get you fined | New York Post
Exactly. If you are doing it purposely that is completely different.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:46 PM

You don't understand the implications of having a law like this. Most people don't.

It REDEFINES biology. And it is a violation of free speech. You should never have the power to restrict what someone else says. And that's what these laws do.

NIMBY is fine ... until it IS in your backyard. It's not a problem where I am. But I am aware of what is going on from a legal, scientific and free speech perspective.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:11 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Interesting. Considering the article is about a doctor/clinic in Serbia, and not in the USA, it has NOTHING to do with ObamaCare.

But, hey, let's not use facts in y/our discussions, right?

Didn't you know, Obamacare is to blame for everything!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:22 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
This is the kind of issue that is in the muck and mire of liberalism. Be there if you want, but most of us just say, no.

Obama was just a tool, and he managed to bluff his way through. Good for him. He wasn’t stupid, but he did nothing for anyone, except himself, and he came out of it unscathed.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
You don't understand the implications of having a law like this. Most people don't.

It REDEFINES biology. And it is a violation of free speech. You should never have the power to restrict what someone else says. And that's what these laws do.

NIMBY is fine ... until it IS in your backyard. It's not a problem where I am. But I am aware of what is going on from a legal, scientific and free speech perspective.
Blah...blah...blah

More nonsense from you....

Biology isn't being "redefined" what a load of carp...

Violation of free speech....more nonsense from you, if someone unintentionally uses the wrong pronoun no one is going to care....if you purposely do so to degrade there should be repercussions as there would be for other perjorative language..

Never have the power to restrict free speech?? Apparently you aren't "aware" what actually constitutes "free speech"

The Supreme Court has also recognized that the government may prohibit some speech that may cause a breach of the peace or cause violence. For more on unprotected and less protected categories of speech see advocacy of illegal action, fighting words, commercial speech and obscenity. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/first_amendment

Defamation isn't protected speech....

"There’s no doubt conservative media groups wrote misleading and inflammatory headlines about California’s LGBT Senior Bill of Rights. They seized on the small chance that one could face criminal charges for using the wrong pronoun to identify a transgender resident in a long-term care home."

Claims mislead about California forcing jail time for using wrong transgender pronoun | PolitiFact California

Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Blah...blah...blah

More nonsense from you....

Biology isn't being "redefined" what a load of carp...

Violation of free speech....more nonsense from you, if someone unintentionally uses the wrong pronoun no one is going to care....if you purposely do so to degrade there should be repercussions as there would be for other perjorative language..

Never have the power to restrict free speech?? Apparently you aren't "aware" what actually constitutes "free speech"

The Supreme Court has also recognized that the government may prohibit some speech that may cause a breach of the peace or cause violence. For more on unprotected and less protected categories of speech see advocacy of illegal action, fighting words, commercial speech and obscenity. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/first_amendment

Defamation isn't protected speech....

"There’s no doubt conservative media groups wrote misleading and inflammatory headlines about California’s LGBT Senior Bill of Rights. They seized on the small chance that one could face criminal charges for using the wrong pronoun to identify a transgender resident in a long-term care home."

Claims mislead about California forcing jail time for using wrong transgender pronoun | PolitiFact California

Judge: Do you know why you are in court today?

Defendant: Because I refused to call a man a woman.

It's not defamation. It's redefinition. And if a person will be jailed for simply speaking in a biologically correct manner, then yes, it is an issue of free speech. because speech has been RESTRICTED.

And for someone who doesn't care, isn't interested, says it won't affect you, and who had NO IDEA that transgender was even an issue, gasp, you are sure spending a lot of time on this thread. Spend some time looking up Canada's laws. But I suspect you already know all about it. Wink wink.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Judge: Do you know why you are in court today?

Defendant: Because I refused to call a man a woman.

It's not defamation. It's redefinition. And if a person will be jailed for simply speaking in a biologically correct manner, then yes, it is an issue of free speech. because speech has been RESTRICTED.

And for someone who doesn't care, isn't interested, says it won't affect you, and who had NO IDEA that transgender was even an issue, gasp, you are sure spending a lot of time on this thread. Spend some time looking up Canada's laws. But I suspect you already know all about it. Wink wink.
Here's a little pointer for you....if you are going to call someone out, make sure you know who you are talking to....wink...wink

I have made one post in this thread....never said I didn't care about the topic or that it doesn't affect me nor do I care what is going on in Canada...

I DO care that you have an irritating habit of "making up facts" to suit your particular delusions...

Cite the course cases that have happened to date that could potentially lead to the silly exchange you just posted...oh...what...you CAN'T!!??!!

That would be because it has NEVER HAPPENED

But keep up the fear mongering, don't let little things like FACTS hinder your nonsensical rants...

Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:

You need to read and understand the First Amendment. You do not have absolute free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness