Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I see that a LOT here are making a LOT of assumptions about so much, how many doctors they know who said this or not said that...there are 1000's of doctors many millions...I don't have those facts.

The OP was trying to show options to his "friend" and that's what it is all about. None of us are experts but we do have minds and believe what we believe...right?

I've lost a lot of trust in this grossly profitable driven medical industry.
We really don't know what is going on with the OP or his friend, other than what the OP is telling us. It seems to me in this day and age that adults know what good nutrition is and the benefit of exercise. If they don't then they have been living under a rock. The OP's friend apparently likes his lifestyle the way it is regardless of outside influences. We don't know much about this doctor and what he told or did not tell this friend. The OP is making lots of unfounded assumptions. And you are piling on a bunch of unfounded assumptions as well.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
I see that a LOT here are making a LOT of assumptions about so much, how many doctors they know who said this or not said that...there are 1000's of doctors many millions...I don't have those facts.

The OP was trying to show options to his "friend" and that's what it is all about. None of us are experts but we do have minds and believe what we believe...right?

I've lost a lot of trust in this grossly profitable driven medical industry.

Since half your objections seem to be based on your theory that if someone is making money off it then it must be a scam, I'm interested to know how you feel about the fact that the grape seed extract market was:
"Valued At US$ 361.7 Million In 2015" (Market research Report).

That's $361,700,000.00
And the profit margin is huge since there are no hugely expensive pesky clinical trials and testing needed to be paid for.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Assumptions are everywhere. The degreed, non and everything in between. No CURES for

anything so we all go with our experiences and assumptions we care to believe. And many want to be RIGHT with their assumptions. And I'm not going to argue about Dr. Darrow...spend your time if you want to be Right.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:19 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Since half your objections seem to be based on your theory that if someone is making money off it then it must be a scam, I'm interested to know how you feel about the fact that the grape seed extract market was:
"Valued At US$ 361.7 Million In 2015" (Market research Report).

That's $361,700,000.00
And the profit margin is huge since there are no hugely expensive pesky clinical trials and testing needed to be paid for.
Yes, the supplement industry is doing just fine with its profit based platform. But wait, its not big Pharma!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:20 PM
bg7

Quote:
Assumptions are everywhere. The degreed, non and everything in between. No CURES for

anything so we all go with our experiences and assumptions we care to believe.

A vaccine that has been given to a person and that primes the patient's immunity to an infection (ie the patient's immune system subsequently identifies and kills virally infected cells, preventing further viral propagation) is a cure of the infection.

What the devil are you talking about.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:21 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yes, the supplement industry is doing just fine with its profit based platform. But wait, its not big Pharma!
Big Grape Seed hasn't caught on yet as an epithet - give it time

Old 10-19-2017, 12:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I see there is a new thread today on the topic below called: Study Shows Yearly Flu Shot Lowers Immune Response - it has links to articles

bg7, I think she is maybe referring to a report which was in the news this week about flu shots and how they can compromise one's immune system: (although article below is dated Nov 2016 because the topic of flu shots possibly compromising one's immune system has been in reports and studies for a good number of years):

'Serial' flu shots may limit body's ability to fight virus in future: researchers | CTV News

Last edited by matisse12; 10-19-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 12:44 PM

21 posts, read 17,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have a friend who had a heart attack years ago and is on lots of drugs. In my opinion, his doctors have given him bad advice, but he won't listen to me because I am not an MD, and therefore I can't possibly know anything about health.

For example, he thinks he can stay healthy by eating low-fat cheese, and egg whites instead of whole eggs, and turkey instead of beef (for example).

He makes pizza with low fat cheese and doesn't believe me that the white flour crust is the problem, not the cheese. And low fat anything usually has artificial ingredients to make it taste like food.

He doesn't do any regular exercise, just whatever he gets by chance by working in the yard, etc.

So, since he trusts his doctors, it is pretty obvious he is following their advice, and their advice is wrong and out of date.

His total cholesterol is kept very low, 70, and he thinks that keeps him safe from heart disease. His cardiologist says the heart disease is under control and he will die from something else. Yeah, probably from the statin side effects, or the lack of exercise, and eating refined carbohydrates.

He is pre-diabetic, and I told him that is the reason he has heart disease, not cholesterol. Doesn't believe me, of course.

Also, he told me his wife takes anti-depressant drugs because her ex-husband made her depressed. She never sees her ex-husband any more, so what is the reason for the drugs? And she never does any kind of physical exercise, even though it is known that exercise works better than drugs for depression.

Why are MDs still giving outdated and incorrect advice? Maybe they don't have time to keep up with recent research?
I am just curious, what is your opinion on vaccinations and chemotherapy , based on the internet articles? I ask because these are more of a hot topic than statins. Of note, I believe they should put statins and aspirin in drinking water for all, but thats just me !
http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon10.gif

Old 10-19-2017, 12:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
You seriously think his doctors told him not to exercise?

He might be lying to you, btw.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I did NOT get my opinions from reading one website!

Maybe statins are keeping my friend alive, we really have no way to know. But a low-fat diet, high in refined carbohydrates, is definitely NOT the current recommendation for someone with insulin resistance!! His cardiologist IS out of date!
Oh "we" know..."you" may not know but that is hardly surprising...

"Conclusions Early initiation of statin treatment in patients with AMI is associated with reduced 1-year mortality. These results emphasize the importance of implementing the results of randomized statin trials in unselected AMI patients."
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/193491

The evidence for statin use following MI is incontrovertible...

As for opinions after reading a "couple of websites" vs opinions from an experienced cardiologist..

Lets make a few assumptions ( you seem to have made many regarding the treatment of a "friend" considering you weren't THERE during visits)

Lets assume a 50ish year old cardiologist at a teaching hospital...

4 years medical school learning about anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology through hands on experience NOT from a "couple of websites"

3 years internal medicine residency this would have been before 2003 so prior to the 80 work week requirements so we are talking 100-140 hours a week for 3 years of intense training

3 years cardiology fellowship...again 80-100 hour weeks of conferences, research, patient care, resident teaching etc

1 year specialized fellowship...

20 years experience in Cardiology ACTUALLY TREATING PATIENTS not "reading a couple online websites" in addition to again, research, conferences, attending regional and national meetings, CME, board review, training residents and med students...

Then there is YOU...."crickets chirping" perfectly reasonable to think you would be "more up to date" on relevant research than a practicing cardiologist....yeah....sure.....

Any wonder your "friend" chooses to ignore your "advice"????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness