Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:01 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's good news.

It will be interesting to see pricing and insurance coverage and what the recommendation will be for those of us who have already taken Zostavax.
Insurance doesn't cover shingles vaccination, does it? That's what I've heard.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Doing some research...

CDC (and other sources) say 1 out of 3 adults will get shingles. So 33% of all adults will have shingles.

Does anyone know which study this 33% figure came from? I figured it'd be easy to find since it affects 1/3 of the population, it's such a huge portion of the population. But I cannot find it. TIA if anyone knows.

(BTW, none of my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, double that in the in-laws ... talking upwards of 50+ adults in the age range ... no one has ever had shingles. Guess that they are all just super lucky? Looking forward to seeing the PI.)
Keep in mind that what you are talking about is lifetime risk, not annual risk. A lot of incidence info is obtained with surveys and insurance claims data.

I know several people who have had shingles, including DH, his sister, my mother, and a DIL. My older son had it while he was on chemo for leukemia.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Insurance doesn't cover shingles vaccination, does it? That's what I've heard.
It will depend on your age and the insurance plan. Medicare does cover it.

When I got it my commercial insurance plan covered it but I had to get it at the doctor's office, not a pharmacy.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some posters on cd who regularly promote vaccines often talk about how vaccines are not a money maker. Just making note of the obvious fact that money is a primary motivator for those who make, sell and promote them.
No one has ever denied that drug companies make money from the products they sell. What is denied is that physicians make a lot of money from prescribing them. They don't, particularly vaccines. Doctors are lucky to break even, because insurance reimbursement is low.

Vaccinations Can Be Money-Losers For Doctors : Shots - Health News : NPR

Doctors provide vaccines, even though they are not big moneymakers, because they prevent serious illnesses with significant morbidity and mortality. That is their primary motivation. If vaccines did not do that no one would prescribe them.

Vaccines are expensive for doctors to purchase and require dedicated refrigeration with continuous temperature monitoring and a backup generator. They cannot just go to the big box store, buy a cheap fridge, and call it a day.

By the way, drug companies would make billions more on drugs to treat vaccine preventable diseases and their complications than they make on vaccines.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
New GlaxoSmithKline shingles vaccine gets FDA approval

Highlights:
  • Approved Friday by the Food and Drug Administration, a potential $1 billion-a-year drug to prevent the shingles virus in adults 50 and older
  • 90 percent efficacy across all age groups
  • Shingrix produces a stronger immune response and lasts longer than Zostavax (Merck's vaccine), with no major safety issues
  • Two doses of Shingrix had 90% protection compared with a placebo and the effectiveness went down only slightly, to 88%, after four years
  • Zostavax (Merck's vaccine) decreased from 68.7% effectiveness initially to 4.2% in the eighth year after vaccination
  • Shingrix requires two shots, two to six months apart, while Zostavax is one shot

This is the good news for which I had been hoping. I first had shingles symptoms, three months after I had the Zostavax shot. There are lawsuits being formed, by others who suffered this, against the manufacturers of that older vaccine. Shingrix might reverse those effects. Maybe, the adoption of it will be swift and we can get it covered by insurance or sponsored by the Federal Gov. soon.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is the good news for which I had been hoping. I first had shingles symptoms, three months after I had the Zostavax shot. There are lawsuits being formed, by others who suffered this, against the manufacturers of that older vaccine. Shingrix might reverse those effects. Maybe, the adoption of it will be swift and we can get it covered by insurance or sponsored by the Federal Gov. soon.
The Zostavax vaccine is only about 50% effective, so some people will get shingles even after taking it.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:53 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Same with my husband who got shingles few months after the Zostavax shot. When he asked his doctor if he should get a second vax, the doctor said no because it would only be about 10% effective after having shingles. Plus, insurance would only pay for one Shingles vaccination. Suzy Q, that is under Medicare PART D, unlike Flu and Pneumonia vaccines covered under Medicare Part B.

This is where there might be a problem for people who have had Zostavax. Insurance might not pay for a second shingles vaccination with Shingrix.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:14 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Doing some research...

CDC (and other sources) say 1 out of 3 adults will get shingles. So 33% of all adults will have shingles.

Does anyone know which study this 33% figure came from? I figured it'd be easy to find since it affects 1/3 of the population, it's such a huge portion of the population. But I cannot find it. TIA if anyone knows.

(BTW, none of my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, double that in the in-laws ... talking upwards of 50+ adults in the age range ... no one has ever had shingles. Guess that they are all just super lucky? Looking forward to seeing the PI.)
Same here. None of my older relatives (born late 19th to early 20th Century) had it either. My great-grandma lived to be 94 and never had shingles.

What I am hearing are more and more young adults coming down with shingles, including my daughter and SIL while in their 30's. The only old person I have known who had shingles was my husband in his mid 60's and was vaccinated.

Guess the under 50 crowd are just plain out of luck? Maybe doctors need to start pushing these vaccinations on anyone who ever had chicken pox regardless of age? Of course, these young people will have to pay for their shots out of pocket themselves since insurance won't cover it for them.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:19 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Same here. None of my older relatives (born late 19th to early 20th Century) had it either. My great-grandma lived to be 94 and never had shingles.

What I am hearing are more and more young adults coming down with shingles, including my daughter and SIL while in their 30's. The only old person I have known who had shingles was my husband in his mid 60's and was vaccinated.

Guess the under 50 crowd are just plain out of luck? Maybe doctors need to start pushing these vaccinations on anyone who ever had chicken pox regardless of age? Of course, these young people will have to pay for their shots out of pocket themselves since insurance won't cover it for them.
It wasn't pushed with the current vaccine because the effectiveness dropped off rapidly even after the first year so the idea was to target more toward the higher risk population and I guess limit the number of "boosters" needed over the years.

This new vaccine starts out with higher effectiveness and has a much smaller dropoff so perhaps it will be approved for younger adults. I hope so - I'm in my 50's and I really want it NOW but I guess not enough - I'm too cheap to pay myself! But actually I've been waiting for this latest vaccine so hope to find out more soon.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:38 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Jo, I hear you on the family and shingles. I don't recall any of my family members of my parents group born late 19th century having shingles. And they've had their shares of stress in their hard lives, but maybe different kinds of stress.. I know one person in my group of many friends who had shingles and she was late 60's and as I said training a new pup that kept her up for many nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness