Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,731,778 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, I'm pleased to report that I find a product that really works for me! These are special socks with gels in the heels that keep the heels moist and soft. My feet feel amazing when I take them off. The pain is completely got and my cracks appear to be healing and disappearing. Feels great to finally discover a product that works after dealing with this problem for 20 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Great that you found something that worked. I tried all sorts of things for mine but the thing that worked for me was - - Vaseline! Plain old petroleum jelly will work as well. It needs to be a thick salve so as to coat the heels properly and not melt off with body heat.

Once I got the cracks healed, I applied it on the heels every single time I got out of the shower. Even one day not doing it made me notice I could get the cracks again if I didn't keep applying. Haven't had a problem since then.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Thanks everyone, I'm pleased to report that I find a product that really works for me! These are special socks with gels in the heels that keep the heels moist and soft. My feet feel amazing when I take them off. The pain is completely got and my cracks appear to be healing and disappearing. Feels great to finally discover a product that works after dealing with this problem for 20 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
These work, but be careful and prepared to toss them - a fungus can quickly develop if worn for too long of a period.

My dermatologist recommended just before going to bed to use the nipp cream (very similar to been balm). Cover your feet in the ointment, then cover with a plastic bag (like the produce bags), then cover with sock, then slippers or shoes. Be very careful walking, especially around stairs. The following morning should have amazing results. Do this a few nights in a row for longer term results. I'm usually so happy with first night results, I talk myself out of the 2nd and 3rd nights.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,375 times
Smile Be careful what flooring your house has

For me, I suffered from cracks on the soles of my feet from 2 factors, living in a house with an exposed concrete floor and later discovering the real cause, a low thyroid condition, likely hashimotos.

Concrete is very alkaline and isn't good for walking over with bare feet. For anyone with a dry skin sensitivity especially from a low thyroid, any task like walking bare feet over concrete or doing the gardening with your hands in the soil or washing your hands too many times with soap throughout the day, is going to make your hands and feet very dry.

When my hands and feet got dry I would put on moisturizer, but this was only a temporary solution. Moisturizer softens the skin around the joints of your feet and causes the painful split sections of skin, so its not a good idea.

For me, putting exercise mats over exposed concrete floors didn't solve the problem either. People underestimate how alkaline concrete is, and when your feet are hypersensitive, people spread concrete dust by walking on exposed concrete and then onto carpeted areas which fools you into thinking its safe to walk barefoot on carpet.

It wasn't until I had the exposed concrete floors epoxy resin coated did it properly solve my cracked dry feet, and this was before I was being treated for low thyroid. So there are many benefits to epoxy resin
floor coatings, exposed concrete floors create dust so its bad for your lungs as well.

If you have dry cracked feet, you need to find the underlying cause. It could be low thyroid or low vitamin E, so you need to get blood tests. I would say even water can be dangerously alkaline, the same water you are washing in. Anyway, be careful of areas where people are walking with shoes from exposed concrete floors or soil in the garden into carpeted areas because dust spreads into carpets, so its no longer the ph friendly carpet you thought it was safe to walk barefoot on, for any hypersensitive low thyroid person like myself anyway. I don't know how important this advice is, but for me, stepping on concrete slabs and foolishly using moisturizer afterwords, has given me the most painful split feet sores you could imagine.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:18 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Get yourself a can of Bag Balm (Used for milk cow's teats) Most pharmacies now carry it.

Slather it on your feet (also works on hands) every night then put on white socks (gloves for hands)

Guaranteed to work. I been recommending it to customers for over 50 years

Old 08-03-2019, 08:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Get yourself a can of Bag Balm (Used for milk cow's teats) Most pharmacies now carry it.

Slather it on your feet (also works on hands) every night then put on white socks (gloves for hands)

Guaranteed to work. I been recommending it to customers for over 50 years
Tried to rep you but couldn't...

I recommend the same stuff and have for 1/2 as long as you have, especially diabetic patients......

Old 04-02-2020, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 910 times
I have tried countless products over the years to deal with dry, cracked heels.
My (new) dermatologist suggested
UREA 40% Cream (over the counter)

It worked for me!
Worth a try!

Old 07-21-2020, 03:22 PM

326 posts, read 200,420 times
I’ve tried all of the suggestions above and then some
Has anyone tried a Chapstick type of product on their heels?
I have a bazillion different types and they all seem to work so well and feels so good on my lips I’m tempted to try them on my heels

Old 07-21-2020, 06:46 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Hey guys,

I've struggled with deeply cracked heels for most of my life. Oddly, they crack much worse on my left foot. The problem has always just been annoying and unsightly. But something changed this year. I guess I developed a deep crack that was really sore when I pressed on it. And then I started feeling some mild discomfort when walking.

I went to work on them with pumis stones, foot soaks, and rivitaderm cream. The cracks would not go away. So I went to the local foot doctor. A nurse practioner spent an hour carving off the callouses with a special knife and then buffing them with a sander. My heels felt smooth again, but u could still see crack lines. It felt very tender in one area.

Despite my efforts to maintain the heel with the cream, the cracks have already reformed after just 3 weeks. And then something new happened over the weekend. Intense sharp heel pain whenever I walked. Enough to make me tear up and feel like I'm walking on sharp knives. My heel shows one large darker crack and that is exactly the source of the pain. I'm going back to the foot doc, but I need a permanent solution here. My heels get so cracked and hard that you could strike a match on them. lol

There are just countless creams and suggestions out there for cracked heels. Has anyone here had deep painful cracks and found a solution? I'll do anything to stop this level of pain.
try flexitol heel balm works for me

Old 07-22-2020, 06:42 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
I’ve tried all of the suggestions above and then some
Has anyone tried a Chapstick type of product on their heels?
I have a bazillion different types and they all seem to work so well and feels so good on my lips I’m tempted to try them on my heels
Yes! It will work just like the Vaseline I mentioned above. It's a stick, so easy to apply. Should work beautifully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness