U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:33 AM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times

Advertisements

OP: This site says Low Fiber is cause.

https://www.verywell.com/what-are-th...isease-3520657

My father fits right in there, he was a big meat man and breads and alcohol and he hardly ate vegetables. He was also a huge pasta eater.

Papaya could be a good fruit too for digestive system. Apples too.

Reading more about this disease, there are so many UNKNOWNS on it and on Everything for that matter. Everything.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-26-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:54 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: This site says Low Fiber is cause.

https://www.verywell.com/what-are-th...isease-3520657

My father fits right in there, he was a big meat man and breads and alcohol and he hardly ate vegetables. He was also a huge pasta eater.

Papaya could be a good fruit too for digestive system. Apples too.

Reading more about this disease, there are so many UNKNOWNS on it and on Everything for that matter. Everything.
I have been a high fiber eater for several years. My colonoscopies were totally clear.

The only definitive thing I have read is that diverticulitis is a disease of first world countries.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 960,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Michael - fermented things are supposed to work. My doc suggested kombucha, kimchee, sauerkraut. The right kind of fermented milk product would also help. I intend to buy Kefir today, and old fashioned sauerkraut.

Jaminhealth- my doc and my DH's old gastro told me that no one knows the cause of diverticulitis. I do intend to stop eating any seeds I cannot chew up. This is a major change for me.

I did not get double vision or ringing in my ears. I did have some balance problems and my digestion is definitely a mess now. I also have had a terrible taste in my mouth.

I need to get back to eating fresh and I am starting with fruit which I seem to tolerate better than veggies.

I am 70. I was prescribed these meds. No one said anything about my age in relation to this medicine. If they did not prescribe Cipro and Flagyl, what would they prescribe instead?
The terrible taste is flagyl. I had it and cipro together in hospital for gallbladder inflammation and I begged hourly for dental floss. Kind of funny in hindsight. I had ruined digestion for about four months and eventually got back to normal. Yogurt, kefir, probiotics were wasted. It was just time and bloody-mindedness.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The terrible taste is flagyl. I had it and cipro together in hospital for gallbladder inflammation and I begged hourly for dental floss. Kind of funny in hindsight. I had ruined digestion for about four months and eventually got back to normal. Yogurt, kefir, probiotics were wasted. It was just time and bloody-mindedness.
The taste is terrible, isn't it? When I was taking it my mouth felt furry and dry as well.

I think it is safe to say that my digestion is messed up. My appetite and taste are dicey too.

I am taking digestive enzymes and probiotics but have no faith in them. I bought some kefir, but whenever I imagine drinking it, my stomach turns.

I am eating saurkraut tonight for dinner. Am making Reubens. Wish me luck with eating those.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:19 PM

280 posts, read 550,439 times
Yes that flagyl taste was awful! I had to try my best to make sure it didn't touch my tongue and immediately swallowed some water.

As for the kefir - what works for me is have it half and half with almond milk and a little sweetener (stevia), but you might not need the sweetener if you use sweetened almond milk.

Quote:
I have been a high fiber eater for several years. My colonoscopies were totally clear.
I have also been a long term high fiber eater.

I haven't had a colonoscopy yet but my Cologuard test is negative. But doctor is advising a colonoscopy as well. He was sure the Cologuard would come out positive due to the recent diverticulitis, but he was wrong about that. But I'll still arrange for the colonoscopy...as long as I can arrange for someone to drive me and be with me there.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
Yes that flagyl taste was awful! I had to try my best to make sure it didn't touch my tongue and immediately swallowed some water.

As for the kefir - what works for me is have it half and half with almond milk and a little sweetener (stevia), but you might not need the sweetener if you use sweetened almond milk.

I have also been a long term high fiber eater.

I haven't had a colonoscopy yet but my Cologuard test is negative. But doctor is advising a colonoscopy as well. He was sure the Cologuard would come out positive due to the recent diverticulitis, but he was wrong about that. But I'll still arrange for the colonoscopy...as long as I can arrange for someone to drive me and be with me there.
Thank you for the tips. If you have any more, feel free to share them.

If it is possible, try to have your colonoscopy at a dedicated colonoscopy center. This might give you a better experience than at a hospital.

I last had one in 2011, but I might inquire next year to see if I can get a free one through Medicare. Although I hate getting them, I am curious now. Maybe I should.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:22 AM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
The taste is terrible, isn't it? When I was taking it my mouth felt furry and dry as well.

I think it is safe to say that my digestion is messed up. My appetite and taste are dicey too.

I am taking digestive enzymes and probiotics but have no faith in them. I bought some kefir, but whenever I imagine drinking it, my stomach turns.

I am eating saurkraut tonight for dinner. Am making Reubens. Wish me luck with eating those.

Remember, you have to eat the fresh, not canned or jarred. I learned I am NOT a fan of fresh saurkraut. Which is weird, I normally like stuff like that.

Different yogurt brands have different strains, they are listed on the label.

Here are some foods that may help: 18 Probiotic Foods for a Healthy Gut | Eat This Not That

Skip the natto. You are welcome.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Remember, you have to eat the fresh, not canned or jarred. I learned I am NOT a fan of fresh saurkraut. Which is weird, I normally like stuff like that.

Different yogurt brands have different strains, they are listed on the label.

Here are some foods that may help: 18 Probiotic Foods for a Healthy Gut | Eat This Not That

Skip the natto. You are welcome.
I believe you are incrrect. I bought fermented, as it says on the jar. I do not believe the fresh kraut ( my preference) is considered fully fermented, i bought my kraut in the fermented section of the refrigerated case at Whole Foods. Yes, there is such a thing.

Not sure what natto is.

Digestion is slowly improving. Not where I want it to be yet.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:58 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
I believe you are incrrect. I bought fermented, as it says on the jar. I do not believe the fresh kraut ( my preference) is considered fully fermented, i bought my kraut in the fermented section of the refrigerated case at Whole Foods. Yes, there is such a thing.

Not sure what natto is.

Digestion is slowly improving. Not where I want it to be yet.

Sorry, I meant canned or jarred on the regular shelves (non refrigerated), I bought mine in the same section you did, my emphasis was meant for the "fresh" part, which you bought.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sorry, I meant canned or jarred on the regular shelves (non refrigerated), I bought mine in the same section you did, my emphasis was meant for the "fresh" part, which you bought.
OK. Yes. When you posted "fresh" I was remembering the fresh packs of kraut that I have gotten before in the meat case. These are plastic pouches of fresher tasting kraut, and honestly, I prefer them.

We ate Reubens Friday night and for some reason, I felt better the next day. I wondered if I also didn't need salt! They were certainly salty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or