U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 PM

6,997 posts, read 6,632,415 times

Advertisements

You have a risk of Achilles tendon rupture for up to a year after taking the drug.

FDA Puts the Kibosh on Fluoroquinolones

It's had a large number of warnings for temporary mental health issues in the past as well as causing low blood sugar.

Be aware of the risks since tendonitis will give early warning of possible problem and change the level of activity accordingly. Same with monitoring diet to avoid hypoglycemia while being treated.

Last edited by lchoro; 07-17-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM

18,804 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
If that drug affects me in a harmful matter, you are darn right Ill continue my scathing remarks against drs who refuse to follow the FDAs advice.
I hear you on this and so many comments keep me wondering....

Old 07-17-2018, 04:28 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,384,767 times
This thread is entitled "Cipro/Flagyl Effects," yet all of the discussion has been about Cipro. I want to ask about Flagyl. Are there warnings related to Flagyl use as well?

I've taken Levaquin (a fluoroquinolone) and Flagyl together in the past for suspected diverticulitis, and one or both of those drugs made me so sick while I was taking it/them and for weeks after I finished the medication. I blamed the Flagyl, but maybe it was the fluoroquinolone that was making me sick?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:59 PM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This thread is entitled "Cipro/Flagyl Effects," yet all of the discussion has been about Cipro. I want to ask about Flagyl. Are there warnings related to Flagyl use as well?

I've taken Levaquin (a fluoroquinolone) and Flagyl together in the past for suspected diverticulitis, and one or both of those drugs made me so sick while I was taking it/them and for weeks after I finished the medication. I blamed the Flagyl, but maybe it was the fluoroquinolone that was making me sick?
Flagyl is a drug that can cause some similar side effects as the fluoroquinolones but apparently the overall risk isn't as high since the FDA doesn't require a black box warning on flagyl.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 AM

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

The FDA just updated warnings for fluoroquinolone antibiotics on risks of mental health and low blood sugar adverse reactions. The fun just never ends.

Quote:
Today, the FDA also published a drug safety communication about safety information regarding hypoglycemic coma and mental health side effects with fluoroquinolones.

The FDA first added a Boxed Warning to fluoroquinolones in July 2008 for the increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture. In February 2011, the risk of worsening symptoms for those with myasthenia gravis was added to the Boxed Warning. In August 2013, the agency required updates to the labeling to describe the potential for irreversible peripheral neuropathy (serious nerve damage).

In 2016, the FDA enhanced warnings about the association of fluoroquinolones with disabling and potentially permanent side effects involving tendons, muscles, joints, nerves and the central nervous system. Because the risk of these serious side effects generally outweighs the benefits for patients with acute bacterial sinusitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis and uncomplicated urinary tract infections, the FDA determined that fluoroquinolones should be reserved for use in patients with these conditions who have no alternative treatment options.
https://fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/.../ucm612995.htm

These drugs have not been pulled from the market, and they have their place, but to deny the risks (which are greater than many other drugs that are available, and often very effective) is truly to deny reality. The FDA doesn't just issue ongoing warnings willy nilly.

Quote:
...the government failed to act on the reports of adverse psychiatric reactions until now.

The government’s own data indicates 120 fluoroquinolone related suicides.

When we asked about this back in December the FDA said they were still reviewing data.

Now the drugs’ black box warning, the strictest warning for drugs, will include psychiatric effects.

Meaning the language will no longer be buried deep in the label.

Drug makers have 30 days to respond.
https://abcactionnews.com/money/cons...eported-deaths

I'm probably headed for my third surgery related to one week of Cipro five years ago. Good times!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Oh and today, one of the manufacturers of Levaquin just stated that due to safety concerns, they are stopping production of this drug. Actually, they stopped production in December 2017.
https://rxinjuryhelp.com/news/2018/0...-effects-grew/

From the article:

Quote:
Cipro (ciprofloxacin)
Ciprofloxacin extended-release tablets
Avelox (moxifloxacin)
Ofloxacin
Factive (gemifloxacin)
Baxdela (delafloxacin)
60+ generic versions
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are only indicated to treat serious bacterial infections, such as pneumonia. However, they have been widely overprescribed and their potentially serious side effects have left many to wonder whether the risks associated with fluoroquinolones outweigh their benefits.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 AM

Please, please, please pass these warnings on via social media, as well as just regular ol' conversations with friends and family.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
Oh, Kathryn, I have posted on social media and was contacted by a reporter wanting to know my story. I was fortunate that my ringing in my ears and double vision from Cipro went away after several months.

I have a family history of severe allergic reactions to antibiotics. It can also change from one family member to another. While I have no reaction to Penicillin going back to childhood, my Dad would go into anaphylatic shock from it, including a blood transfusion containing Penicillin. His allergy to it was put on his WW2 Dog Tags. Means nothing today???? When I went to the Urgent Care Center for food poisoning, they never asked me my or my family's medical history regarding allergies to antibiotics.

You can be certain that I have told my adult children of our family history of these reactions, and to be well aware for themselves and their own children.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
Katharine, Thank you. While not the same, I can certainly feel your pain.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:09 PM

4,621 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, Kathryn, I have posted on social media and was contacted by a reporter wanting to know my story. I was fortunate that my ringing in my ears and double vision from Cipro went away after several months.

I have a family history of severe allergic reactions to antibiotics. It can also change from one family member to another. While I have no reaction to Penicillin going back to childhood, my Dad would go into anaphylatic shock from it, including a blood transfusion containing Penicillin. His allergy to it was put on his WW2 Dog Tags. Means nothing today???? When I went to the Urgent Care Center for food poisoning, they never asked me my or my family's medical history regarding allergies to antibiotics.

You can be certain that I have told my adult children of our family history of these reactions, and to be well aware for themselves and their own children.
Antibiotic allergies aren't inherited...

Just because your father was allergic to penicillin does not mean you or other family members will have an allergic response.

In reality only about 10% of people who say they are allergic to PCN actually are allergic to the medication, most "allergic responses" aren't really "allergic responses" and even ones that could be such as "rash" are just as likely to be from the disease being treated as from the antibiotic itself...

When someone says they are "allergic" to an antibiotic and when asked what the allergy symptom was if it was upset stomach, nausea, dizziness, etc those aren't "allergies".

In order to develop an allergy to any substance one has to have been exposed to it at some point....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or