U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 05:56 PM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times

Advertisements

Well, anyway, the topic is Cipro (and I'm assuming its family of drugs - fluoroquinolones) and Flagyl. The potential for harmful reactions to fluoroquinolones is documented by increasingly strident warnings from the FDA. Regardless of what such reactions are called - simply "reactions" or "adverse reactions" or "allergic reactions" or whatever - the damage is done and the FDA has noted that much of this damage is, apparently, permanent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, Kathryn, I have posted on social media and was contacted by a reporter wanting to know my story. I was fortunate that my ringing in my ears and double vision from Cipro went away after several months.

I have a family history of severe allergic reactions to antibiotics. It can also change from one family member to another. While I have no reaction to Penicillin going back to childhood, my Dad would go into anaphylatic shock from it, including a blood transfusion containing Penicillin. His allergy to it was put on his WW2 Dog Tags. Means nothing today???? When I went to the Urgent Care Center for food poisoning, they never asked me my or my family's medical history regarding allergies to antibiotics.

You can be certain that I have told my adult children of our family history of these reactions, and to be well aware for themselves and their own children.
I am glad you are spreading awareness! Keep it up!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Antibiotic allergies aren't inherited...

Just because your father was allergic to penicillin does not mean you or other family members will have an allergic response.

In reality only about 10% of people who say they are allergic to PCN actually are allergic to the medication, most "allergic responses" aren't really "allergic responses" and even ones that could be such as "rash" are just as likely to be from the disease being treated as from the antibiotic itself...

When someone says they are "allergic" to an antibiotic and when asked what the allergy symptom was if it was upset stomach, nausea, dizziness, etc those aren't "allergies".

In order to develop an allergy to any substance one has to have been exposed to it at some point....
Ok, then call it SEVERE reaction, not allergy. You cannot call what happened to my Dad, me, and Katharine
some minor side effect. Hives? Upset stomach? Gimme a break.

I can tell you if I was in a state of mind at the time, I would have refused Cipro. Heard enough many years before during Anthrax mailings scare and NYC Doctor and Nurses refusing to take it as a precaution. If it is so benign, why would doctors and nurses refuse to take it?

Also, the few times I needed antibiotics for dental issues, no dentist questioned my refusal to not be given CIPRO. "No, we don't give that CRAP here", is what I was told. Better revoke his license for saying something like that?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 AM

4,783 posts, read 1,544,109 times
Quote:
Antibiotic allergies aren't inherited...

Just because your father was allergic to penicillin does not mean you or other family members will have an allergic response.

In reality only about 10% of people who say they are allergic to PCN actually are allergic to the medication, most "allergic responses" aren't really "allergic responses" and even ones that could be such as "rash" are just as likely to be from the disease being treated as from the antibiotic itself...

When someone says they are "allergic" to an antibiotic and when asked what the allergy symptom was if it was upset stomach, nausea, dizziness, etc those aren't "allergies".

In order to develop an allergy to any substance one has to have been exposed to it at some point....
Well, reactions certainly run in families ... so there *is* some familial component there, whether it is genetics or common environment.

Love the recent nitpicking over words such as reactions/allergies in an effort to pretend all drugs are safe for everyone all the time in every circumstance.

I think we should just ask: "Have you ever been harmed by a drug?" Covers all bases.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 AM

637 posts, read 1,010,047 times
Quote:

I had an allergic reaction to Erythromicin twice as a teenager. The first time was on the third dose of the medication a day after I started taking it. My lips swelled about 30-45 minutes after taking it and by swelled, I mean SWELLED, like even Kim Kardashian would say "yeah, too much!" I had no idea lips could get that big without popping. The back of my tongue got very itchy, eyes got watery and itchy, and the palms of my hands got slightly itchy. No rash. My friend was over at the time and we goofed around trying to make me pronounce words, make motorboat noises and talk like the kid on "Fat Albert." We had no idea that this was potentially serious. It subsided a few hours later.

The second time, the next morning, I took it and later walked into the kitchen with my lips super fat to shock my mom and I told her that this was what happened when I took that medicine. She took it more seriously and called the doctor to report this and they said do not take another dose. They put me on penicillan, with no problems.

My current PCP just recently explained to me that, given my previous reaction to erythromicin, he would never prescribe for me any of what he referred to as its "sister drugs" after another doctor suggested that I take a Z-pak. I had only refused the Z-pak because of its black box warning, not knowing that I am potentially allergic to it as well.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Well, reactions certainly run in families ... so there *is* some familial component there, whether it is genetics or common environment.

Love the recent nitpicking over words such as reactions/allergies in an effort to pretend all drugs are safe for everyone all the time in every circumstance.

I think we should just ask: "Have you ever been harmed by a drug?" Covers all bases.
Yeah, right. Doctor, Doctor, I am having an "allergic/reaction" to this drug. I cannot see straight! Tell me, should I stop taking this medication? You have a medical degree and I DON'T.

What the H is the IQ of the General Public? Well, DUH, if you never take a particular drug in the first place, of course, you aren't going to have any reaction to it.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:58 PM

21,494 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:

No one "pretend[s] all drugs are safe for everyone all the time in every circumstance."

The word "allergy" has a specific meaning. Not all adverse effects are allergies. For example, ampicillin can cause a skin rash that is not an allergy. It can also cause hives in someone who is allergic to it.

https://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/penicillinrash

"Maculo-papular rash
Doctors do not know what causes the rash. They do not believe this type of rash is an allergy. Many children get a skin rash after taking ampicillin or amoxicillin. This does not necessarily mean your child is allergic to the medicines, or to other penicillin medicines."

That rash is not a reason to never use ampicillin or amoxicillin ever again. Hives would be a reason not to use them.

A parent or sibling being allergic to a specific medication is no reason for you to avoid it.

If the answer to "Have you ever been harmed by a drug?" is "yes", there should be follow up questions to determine what the "harm" was and whether the "harm" means never taking the drug again.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:16 PM

4,621 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Quote:

It isn't "nitpicking" to discern between a true "allergy" and an "adverse reaction" they are two COMPLETELY different processes and it is important to know which is which...

Stating that this is some attempt "to pretend all drugs are safe for everyone all the time" is certainly not true and reflects your own biases not mine...

Asking "Have you ever been harmed by a drug?" doesn't "cover all the bases"...

Specific questions regarding the actual reaction and determining whether someone truly has an ALLERGY particularly to a specific antibiotic class rather than an ADVERSE REACTION could be a matter of life or death at some future time

Old 07-20-2018, 05:06 PM

Sulpha drugs - I have an adverse reaction, not an allergic reaction: I get intestinal issues, diahhrea, bloating, nausea, etc.

Personally I don't care what it's called - I'd have to be on my deathbed to subject myself to those symptoms. Let's just say I'd try many other options first.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:00 PM

Yeah, as other poster said, stop nitpicking terms, medical professionals. Break out in hives from certain foods? Ok, allergy. Simple. Don't eat those foods. Need medical degree for that? Must be some Pill you can take for that, right? All your problems solved?

What we are all talking about are not benign reactions like hives. Damn, I know fully well about hives from food, and "atopic dermatitis". I can cover up so others cannot see my hives and think I have some contagious disease. How are you supposed to "cover up" when you go into shock, cannot walk, or see, from a drug? We don't need you doctors to tell us the difference just because you are more "educated" than we are.

I'd take hives any day over double vision, having had BOTH. Would you medical professionals consider double vision from a drug to be a MINOR reaction?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or