Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Might be tears, might have been oral sex or mutual masturbation with an open sore or wound that did it too...
Okay thanks. So if I got chlamydia orally, then it would still go straight to the urine, while avoiding going to the blood then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:27 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. But I also had a urine test recently as well.

How come when you get a test, why don't they just check for everything? Why only check for certain things? That way, other things get missed.
The more things they test for, the more money it costs. This is their way of keeping costs in line.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:12 PM

Well I just don't see the logic to how looking for certain things should cost more than looking for other things. For example, let's say someone breaks into your house and you call the police. When the police come to do a search, they search for whoever. They don't have a lost of certain people to search for only, trying to keep their costs down.

They search for any intruder and still get paid the same. So why can't doctors operate on that logic and search for any intruder, and still get paid the same regardless?

I mean let's say the doctor tests urine for something else, but then finds something else in the process, that is foreign. Do they just disregard it, even though it could be chlamydia, and don't tell anyone? Instead of only testing for certain things, why not just run a test, period, and whatever comes up, comes up...

Last edited by ironpony; 10-28-2017 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 06:53 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Well I just don't see the logic to how looking for certain things should cost more than looking for other things. For example, let's say someone breaks into your house and you call the police. When the police come to do a search, they search for whoever. They don't have a lost of certain people to search for only, trying to keep their costs down.

They search for any intruder and still get paid the same. So why can't doctors operate on that logic and search for any intruder, and still get paid the same regardless?

I mean let's say the doctor tests urine for something else, but then finds something else in the process, that is foreign. Do they just disregard it, even though it could be chlamydia, and don't tell anyone? Instead of only testing for certain things, why not just run a test, period, and whatever comes up, comes up...

because that's not the way it works.

Are you getting retested after your treatment? You should be seen for a follow up.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:32 PM

Treatment for what? The last time I had chlamydia? That was back in 2010.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:34 PM

282 posts, read 232,790 times
Quote:

Each thing they test for requires a different test. Some things require that you don't eat or drink anything within 12 hours of testing. Some require a clean-catch. Some don't. Some require that you drink some nasty-flavored stuff. Some require that you take medicine, some require that you take no medications at all prior to the night before, including a daily vitamin.

There are thousands of things that CAN be tested for with urine. Not all labs do actual testing on all possible illnesses. If you were having tests done on everything, you might need around 3 months before you get the results because you'll have 20 tests done at lab A, 35 at lab B, and so on, all over the country, until you've had your "thousands" of tests. And how much urine do you think you'll need for those thousands of tests? Certainly not a single cup. In addition, what about the tests that require it to be fresh - less than a few hours old? Some of those labs you'd have to actually go to, in order to get those tests done. Some of those labs aren't even in your state, let alone in your doctor's office.

Instead of your house being burglarized, think of it as you own 500 rental properties throughout the country, and one of them has been burglarized. But - you don't know which one it was. Which police department are you going to call? They can't check every apartment in every building, most of them are out of their jurisdiction. So you have to have a whole lot of people checking - and they have to check today, or else the case will get cold and they'll never find out anything at all.

OR...

You can be tested only for the "usual and customary" plus anything the doctor feels is suspect. You rule out the obvious - and then if there are still no answers, you move on to the next set of likely solutions to the mystery.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:40 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
while at the house, the cop doesnt check if you have any unpaid speeding tickets, if you are late on your phone bills, if you are cheating on your wife, if you stole that candybar, etc...

he goes there and checks for what was called in, unless it was obvious like a dead body, he wont dig too far into what else is "present"

Old 10-28-2017, 08:54 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Well I just don't see the logic to how looking for certain things should cost more than looking for other things.<>
It's not logic, it's economics.
Did you skip chemistry AND biology on school? Let me refresh you.
Each test involves an analysis typically involving a chemical reaction. The sample you provide is broken down into smaller samples. Some tests can be done with a chem stick, like the pH tests you would have done back then. Other tests involve adding a chemical, then doing a chem stick or similar test involving a color change. Bacteria investigations mean someone looks at a sample with a microscope and counts bugs. Sometime they have to wait and let the bugs grow.
Each test costs money and takes a technician time.
Clearer now?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:57 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
So what was your post today about?

Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
But ...you did get treated, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness