Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:18 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was a virgin and told a long time ago I had (I think) hsv 1...... It is that popular. They have not mentioned it for years since getting tested but I do recall as a kid they said I had it. And it was like a cold sore they said. But I have never had one visible in my life.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 AM

27 posts, read 32,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Yes, I was a virgin and told a long time ago I had (I think) hsv 1...... It is that popular. They have not mentioned it for years since getting tested but I do recall as a kid they said I had it. And it was like a cold sore they said. But I have never had one visible in my life.
So what do partners say if/when you disclose this?

I have never had any sort of outbreak whether cold sores or genitals. My mother has HSV1 so it's possible I got it from her years ago and never knew since I haven't had symptoms.

It blows my mind that they don't recommend testing for HSV.

I will tell future prospective partners and am guessing I won't be having sex any time soon (possibly ever) when I tell them. Still not sure what to do here. Every friend I have asked has said not to, and these are not unethical people. Basic reasoning being the huge percentage of people that have it, the fact that my recent partner has had many partners and would have undoubtedly been exposed countless times, etc.

I know that sounds like rationalization. I'm leaning toward just telling her. She said "I'm clean" when we got together but I doubt she was ever tested for HSV.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
It's a cold sore, not genital herpes, get over it!

Old 10-31-2017, 11:07 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
It's a really common infection - this is the "cold sore" virus. It can be transmitted sexually, but many people acquire it in early childhood.

You can be shedding virus, even without symptoms.

Honestly, this virus is so common that I wouldn't freak out over this. If you and your next partner are concerned, have the next partner get checked for antibodies to HSV1 and 2. If they have antibodies to either, it's a nothing. If they DON"T have antibodies to either, the next partner could contract it from you. THere is medication you can take for daily suppression of shedding.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 AM

1,491 posts, read 379,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It's a cold sore, not genital herpes, get over it!

Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's a really common infection - this is the "cold sore" virus. It can be transmitted sexually, but many people acquire it in early childhood.

You can be shedding virus, even without symptoms.

Honestly, this virus is so common that I wouldn't freak out over this. If you and your next partner are concerned, have the next partner get checked for antibodies to HSV1 and 2. If they have antibodies to either, it's a nothing. If they DON"T have antibodies to either, the next partner could contract it from you. THere is medication you can take for daily suppression of shedding.
I'm not worried about myself and whether I will ever have sex again when people find out I have the virus. I have no idea if I got it in childhood or from one of these two partners. I'm just trying so hard to figure out what the right thing to do is.
I don't want to alarm partner two. She is a single mother who has had major issues with depression. I'm concerned about what this could do to her. This is not me looking for an excuse not to tell her. I really am worried about it. On the other hand I don't want her spreading this to other people especially if I infected her. Both of us were very foolish to take that kind of chance.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverEden View Post
From my research HSV1 can cause both cold sores and genital herpes.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv2017 View Post
From my research HSV1 can cause both cold sores and genital herpes.

If you keep worrying about it it won’t make you any better off. Normally it doesn’t, but yes, it can. If you are careful and avoid the things that can cause that, then I’m pretty sure you can avoid it.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverEden View Post
If you keep worrying about it it won’t make you any better off. Normally it doesn’t, but yes, it can. If you are careful and avoid the things that can cause that, then I’m pretty sure you can avoid it.
I'm not worried about getting them myself. I'm worried about her getting them.

I'm prepared to just shut the sex part of my life down forever. Just hope I didn't do any harm already.

Worst of all even if I tell partner two, and if she tests positive, no way to know if she got it from me or another partner.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv2017 View Post
I'm not worried about getting them myself. I'm worried about her getting them.

I'm prepared to just shut the sex part of my life down forever. Just hope I didn't do any harm already.

Worst of all even if I tell partner two, and if she tests positive, no way to know if she got it from me or another partner.

There are meds you can take to prevent outbreaks and help keep your partner protected too. Valtrex, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness