Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,568,121 times

Advertisements

Maybe the resident experts will tell us the Arthritis Reasons. I'm waiting.

At my advancing age, I deal with it, manage as best I can. A lot of years of damage done.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM

48,292 posts, read 34,425,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Osteoarthritis Is Much More Common Now Than In Ancient Knees, Study Suggests : Shots - Health News : NPR

This research says knee osteoarthritis is much more common now than in prehistoric times. So that is one reason to doubt the medical industry's idea -- that it's because we are healthier and live longer.

The VERY first sentence "more old people". Also obesity, which makes sense.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2017, 05:05 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,370,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
NOPE..

"Subluxations" are mostly chiropractic nonsense first of all..

Secondly there IS NO correlation between upper back or neck problems of ANY sort and carpal tunnel syndrome....

Carpal tunnel syndrome is BY DEFINITION a median neuropathy at the wrist...compression of a peripheral nerve with absolutely NOTHING to do with the spine...
In your opinion.

Millions of people do NOT consider chiropractic to be nonsense. We aren't all crazy or stupid.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,178,118 times
Quote:
In your opinion.

Millions of people do NOT consider chiropractic to be nonsense. We aren't all crazy or stupid.
Not just MY opinion, but the opinion of any rational, intelligent Non-chiropractic health care provider

"An orthopedic subluxation, a true vertebral misalignment, or a mechanical joint dysfunction that affects mobility in the spine is not the same as a “chiropractic subluxation” that is alleged to cause disease by interfering with nerve supply to organs. Such a subluxation has never been proven to exist. There is no plausible theory and no credible evidence to support the contention that “nerve interference” originating in a single spinal segment can cause an organic disease."
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/chi...pseudoscience/

Chiropractic subluxations are pseudoscience plain and simple...

Your statement about carpal tunnel syndrome however is NOT a matter of opinion but rather FACT superseding nonsense...

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a peripheral compression neuropathy and has NOTHING to do with the cervical or thoracic spine....any suggestion to the contrary is an out and out LIE plain and simple....

Old 10-31-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, that's sort of interesting. And interesting that they mention diet because back in prehistoric times people were probably gnawing on bones and eating all sorts of animal parts that we reject today. Maybe that connective tissue and the other stuff in animal bones really does help our joints. I think back at dogs chewing their bones, seldom seen these days. Look at what a lot of people eat--fast food with low nutrients.

Also, as the article said, the level of obesity today was unheard of in the past.

I do have a picture of a great grandmother back in England with obvious arthritis in her hands. She must have been around 90 in the old picture and her occupation was weaving (on a hand loom.) Wear and tear on her fingers probably.

I think the high occurrence of arthritis today has little to do with being healthier (we are not) and living longer (although we probably do, but that doesn't mean the quality of life is very good.)
Yes it's true, our diet is not very good, even if we avoid processed food. All those things like bones and organs are very nutritious. In addition, food is grown in soil that has lost many important nutrients. And not to mention the pesticides we ingest every day, if we eat vegetables as we are supposed to.

And of course obesity is an epidemic and a major cause of arthritis.

Arthritis is nothing new, but the rates we are seeing today are new. We are NOT living longer healthier lives, that is a myth. Definitely not healthier. Longer, yes, technically, you can make that claim -- but longer than WHEN and WHERE? Some traditional societies have been studied where people often stay healthy into their 90s.

Another misunderstanding about average lifespan is related to infant mortality. In the mid 20th century, in industrial societies, infant mortality decreased dramatically. This could be because of antibiotics and vaccines. But high infant mortality is NOT necessarily a sign of an unhealthy society -- it's just what nature does, in all or most species.

When infant mortality is excluded, average lifespan has not increased much. And, as I said, you have to consider what we are comparing ourselves to. There were miserable times when most people were starving -- compared to them, yes we live long and healthy lives.

But it is a big mistake to conclude that we are healthy. It is not accurate, and it also makes people dangerously complacent. They think the medical industry has done wonders for our health, so we don't have to take any responsibility.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not just MY opinion, but the opinion of any rational, intelligent Non-chiropractic health care provider

"An orthopedic subluxation, a true vertebral misalignment, or a mechanical joint dysfunction that affects mobility in the spine is not the same as a “chiropractic subluxation” that is alleged to cause disease by interfering with nerve supply to organs. Such a subluxation has never been proven to exist. There is no plausible theory and no credible evidence to support the contention that “nerve interference” originating in a single spinal segment can cause an organic disease."
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/chi...pseudoscience/

Chiropractic subluxations are pseudoscience plain and simple...

Your statement about carpal tunnel syndrome however is NOT a matter of opinion but rather FACT superseding nonsense...

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a peripheral compression neuropathy and has NOTHING to do with the cervical or thoracic spine....any suggestion to the contrary is an out and out LIE plain and simple....
Oh sciencebasedmedicine. They HATE chiropractic, even though they know nothing about it. They think most of the world is stupid, and they are great geniuses who know all there is to know about health.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:49 PM

And one more thought about mattresses -- let's say you spent a couple thousand dollars on a luxury high-tech mattress. How long before it gets full of dust mites? Probably just a few years. And then what? You can't get them out. And dust mites are a leading cause of allergies.

My "bed" won't collect dust mites (which I am allergic to). And if somehow it did, it would cost under $20 to replace.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,938,892 times
If your parents have arthritis, you probably will too.

Some arthritis is autoimmune. Some comes from wear and tear. If you are overweight, your knees and/or hips will likely have arthritis.

Your thoughts are not backed up by medical research.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:58 PM

48,292 posts, read 34,425,363 times
Dust mites? Buy a decent mattress cover and no dust mites.

Do you remember how you lost 15K to an alt healer situation? This is why.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2017, 06:24 PM

282 posts, read 230,358 times
Quote:

Beds:
Most Americans probably sleep on beds with expensive mattresses. And now days the mattress is often covered with memory foam. That should be good for your joints, right? No, I think it's very bad. You sink into that comfortable mattress every night, and your spine gets increasingly out of alignment. Being out of alignment is generally a major cause of arthritis.
I prefer a firm mattress, and it doesn't have memory foam.
Quote:
Shoes:
Most shoes prevent the natural motions of the feet. Women's high heels are an obvious example, but even athletic shoes are bad for your feet. Especially now that most sneakers contain memory foam. Your good shoes might be tight and uncomfortable, which can't be any good. But your comfortable shoes let your feet squash into an unnatural position. Feet should land flat and evenly on the ground, but soft shoes prevent this.
I've never worn "high" heels (3" or higher) regularly, ever. Friday nights to dance, back in the 1980's. Wore 2" character shoes (basically sturdy leather round-toed tap shoes without the taps attached) to work sometimes, the rest of the time wore womens' loafers. Mostly wear very sturdy, very unfashionable leather upper wide-box "postal worker" shoes every weekday. No memory foam. I wear regular sneakers the rest of the week - no memory foam.

Quote:
Chairs:
You don't see any other animals sitting in chairs like we do. And pre-modern humans never did either. It is an unnatural position that makes it hard for the spine to stay in correct alignment.
I sit cross-legged most of the time, on my chair. I took the arms off just so I could do that. It's more comfortable than dangling my legs down off the edge of the chair, and it keeps my spine erect. You can't slump very well if you're cross-legged. It's like trying to slump while riding a horse. This is only when I'm not at work. At work, I have to stand, it's the nature of the jobs. I have a shock-mat beneath my feet so I'm not standing still on solid concrete. At work, I stand 6-8 hours every day, 5 days per week.

Quote:
TV and Cars:
Well, obviously cars caused people to walk less. TV caused them to dance less, because entertainment has become mostly passive. You sit and watch, for hours, instead of dancing or playing sports.
I usually walk to the supermarket and to one of my jobs. I watch maybe 2 hours of TV every week. Sometimes less.

Quote:
That's just my theory. By the way, I am 65 and I don't have arthritis, because I sleep on the floor and I don't wear shoes (just flat sandals or flat sneakers), and I don't have a TV. Car and chairs, yes, you can't really avoid those.
I have arthritis. I stick to your ideal better than you do, because you sit more than I do, and it sounds like you drive more than I do too.

You don't have arthritis because you're one of the lucky ones who wasn't destined to get it. Nothing you are doing, prevents arthritis in the finger joints. Or the elbows.

My mom has arthritis. My aunts all had it on my mom's father's side. Several members of my mom's mother's side of the family had it. It definitely runs in the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness