Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

What are your at-home remedies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:52 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
I rolled them out on a golf ball or baseball, rolled them out on frozen water bottles, a pedal bike helps stretch them out, but honestly the big thing that helps is losing weight if you stand to lose it.
Also, make sure your shoes are new and of good quality. A walking or running shoe for a person that is active lasts about 9 Months tops.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:59 PM

924 posts, read 1,675,802 times
We think DH is suffering from this. We purchased him a pair of insoles from https://treadlabs.com/pages/plantar-fasciitis-insoles.

He has only been wearing them three days, but thinks they might be helping a bit. We did not expect them to work quickly. It sounds like this is the kind of thing that takes awhile to resolve. He cannot take any anti-inflammatories, which would be helpful I think, so we are trying the inserts.

The inserts made squeaky noises initially, but he added foot powder between the shoe and the insert and that stopped the noises.

He also needs to lose weight....working on that next!

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
Stretching Achilles tendons and plantar fascias before putting any weight on them in the morning. (You can google for info on how to do that.) Non weight-bearing stretching at all times. A bag of frozen peas.....ahhhhhh.... There was a point in my miserable journey (it lasted for months, maybe even close to a year) where my feet would ache all night long and keep me from sleeping. A nice cool-down with the frozen pea bag (you can just nestle your foot down into it) before bed kept them from aching all night. Ice was my best pain relief....anti-inflammatories did next to nothing for me, if I recall correctly.

For years afterward I could wear nothing but Waldies (the precursor to Crocs, now discontinued...but they were better than Crocs). Only in the last year or so have I been able to wear a shoe that is not a Croc, but it has to have good arch support and a pretty soft sole.

I feel for you. It hurts. I reached a point where I had to use a wheelchair to go shopping for my kids' clothes at the mall because I literally couldn't walk from one end to the other....and the kids needed clothes!

Oh, and I bought these nubby little balls to roll the bottoms of my feet with...golf balls were too slippery. I just looked at the one by the couch here and it's marked "Rubz". Maybe they still make them. They helped a LOT. I don't have to use them much any more. Thank God. That was a miserable time and I tried everything I read about, but all these things are what actually helped.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:10 PM

11,554 posts, read 53,149,375 times
I was told by an orthopedic tech friend to stretch the soles of my feet as frequently as possible to fix the PF I was experiencing. That cured my feet in a couple of weeks. I could tell a difference in the first few days.

The stretch that worked best for me was to climb stairs using only the front part of my foot or to stand on the edge of a stair step on the balls of my foot, slowly lowering my weight onto the foot and stretching it for 5 seconds or so.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The stretch that worked best for me was to climb stairs using only the front part of my foot or to stand on the edge of a stair step on the balls of my foot, slowly lowering my weight onto the foot and stretching it for 5 seconds or so.
It is important that you not put your full weight on the stretch. You can do stretches without using your weight as the catalyst. You have more control that way and do not overdo.

I do the PF stretch where you just cross your foot over the other leg and pull back on the toes. I also sometimes rub the bottom of my foot while stretching. Then I stop resisting the pull on the toes and let my whole foot be pulled back, thus stretching the Achilles tendon. Tight Achilles tendons can contribute to plantar fasciitis, I read.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:39 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
This wall stretch worked best for me. Total relief within a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZpcapqBnZg

Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Most all of the above, especially the proper support in shoes, and patience. It can take a long, long time to sort itself out, but in the end it will.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,725 times
All of the above were good for me too. I learned pretty quickly not to jump out of bed without doing the stretch of my feet by bringing my toes UP toward my knee as far as it would go a few times. Just out of bed in AM is the worst time for PF. I got an insert for my shoes off some website (HTP heel that pain - I just checked) and found them invaluable. I couldn't walk without them. But after my feet began to heal I couldn't walk WITH them.

No barefeet. Also, shoes with good padded support underneath, especially in the arch area. I wore clog shoes like nurses wear.

Feet are healed pretty nicely now. But I still need good arch support and my days of wearing high heels are over.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Wow, thanks for all the great pointers...

and for the encouragement that this can improve over time...I originally had so much pain, it caused faint nausea...

will start tomorrow with exercises
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness