Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

Yes, I went cold turkey and stopped with coffee and cokes.

Quite honestly the sugar was much harder than the caffeine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 04:28 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
I wonder why im having a more difficult time. Maybe im more sensitive to it?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I've been drinking coffee everyday for probably 10-12 years. I don't drink much, usually 2 mugs a day, which i know is not a lot compared to some people, but because i've drank it literally EVERY day for so long, quitting is really hard. I want to quit because it's been giving me heartburn, IBS and also causes a lot of my anxiety issues.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever quit. How long did it take you to feel better? Any tips or tricks to quitting? weaning is not an option for me, i had to go cold turkey. I've been reading that it could actually take up to 2 months to feel 100% better and get your natural energy back.
Years ago, I managed to quit during a bad case of the flu, during which I could not do much of anything, not even brew a cup.

I was already miserable, so the withdrawal symptoms weren't distinguishable from the flu.

When I got over the flu, I noticed that my hands were no longer trembling, and I liked that.

Not that I'd recommend you rush out and get a bad case of flu!

But it did not take me anywhere near two months to feel better.

I now have IBS and reflux issues too, and my symptoms respond to diet changes in a day or two. I've had to give up a lot of things I love to eat - chocolate, real bread, cheese, nuts, apples - but not having frequent diarrhea and heartburn is something I love even more, so I go for that.

The next long weekend, stop the coffee. I'll bet by the time you have to go back to work, the worst of your symptoms will be over, and you will have started to notice a happier belly.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
My wife and I quit coffee now and then. It's easy for me. One day of headaches and maybe two days of being tired and then I'm good. It takes her a month of slowly switching to decaf. And even then it's tough. If you're having problems it's likely you're more like her.

I find when I'm not drinking coffee regularly I'm way more sensitive to other sources of caffeine. Decaf coffee is not totally decaffinated and is actual enough to have a noticeable effect on me.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:45 PM

189 posts, read 176,459 times
Quit over a year ago. Love the taste of coffee and having a hot beverage in the morning, don't like worrying about getting a caffeine headache if I don't get my dose, and thought quitting might help me stop waking up in the middle of the night every night to go pee. Also hate being stuck in traffic in the morning with a bladder that must go due to drinking a large mug of coffee.
I found cold turkey was the best way to go. I quit a couple times before, for maybe a month or two at a time, but then the temptations of hot tasty coffee would bring me back. I would suffer a general headache for 3-4 days after quitting, but it wasn't as bad as my monthly migraines.
What helped me finally stay quit was planning to get pregnant, being pregnant, and breastfeeding. Even though WHO says 200mg of coffee every day is fine, it just gave me extra motivation to stay quit. The thought of baby staying up cause of caffeine transfer is a big deterrent. We both sleep very well and have no trouble waking up.
I still steal a sip here and there. It helps not to have coffee or coffee making equipment in the house. I still fantasize about how nice a coffee habit would be - you get a lot of anti oxidants from coffee, and as long as you are able to cut yourself off after one or two cups, it's a pleasant ritual to look forward to.

Advice:
Get clear on why you want to quit. It will help you to remind yourself next time you are tempted.
What is your definition of success? Do you really want to go 100% caffeine free or just cut back to 1-2 cups per day?
Be flexible. It's ok to break your caffeine fast and have a sip or even a cup, as long as you recognize it as a rare occurrence and that it doesn't automatically mean that you failed and you might as well start drinking every day now. If a headache follows, it will encourage you to not have another taste test.
Quit and got back on the wagon? No problem. You can always quit again.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I cut back to 1 coffee a day pretty easily.

I don't imagine it would be hard to give that up.

I gave up all caffeine for years when I was younger.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:13 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
I drink coffee to wake me up almost daily but I don't need it.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:29 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
I did so at one point. Had a bad caffeine withdrawal headache for several hours, but that was it. Didn’t need any pick-me-up in the morning one I quit, either. Have since gone back to coffee because I didn’t need to stay off it anymore and I enjoy it.

If you quit, do so cold turkey and stick with it. Any withdrawal side effects should stop within a few days, if not a few hours.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I have slowly cut down from many cups/day to one. I'm not really sure why that happened, but I have a good idea. I am now trying to quit Coca-cola!

Old 11-02-2017, 04:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I wonder why im having a more difficult time. Maybe im more sensitive to it?
what you're experiencing is "normal" withdrawal symptoms from caffeine.

If my experience 20+ years ago of going "cold turkey" is any indication ...

you may have a couple months yet before you will minimize most of the symptoms and be on track to restore your health without caffeine.

It took me almost 5 months before I felt I'd shaken off all the withdrawal symptoms and started on health recovery.

Be sure that you've eliminated ALL sources of caffeine from your diet. Soft drinks are a big source, but many other foods and beverages may have this in them. Gotta' read those labels. If in doubt, don't consume.

PS: I didn't have any other issues, such as IBS, to complicate affairs. Caffeine can be a very insidious drug with multiple effects upon endocrine, hormone, and other body functions which don't appear at first glance to be affected. But they are and it will take awhile to get back into balance. The discomfort symptoms are an unfortunate part of the restoration of your healthy balance of functions. But you must give your body the chance to do so. Set reasonable goals for the interim and adjust over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness