Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:16 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I've been drinking coffee everyday for probably 10-12 years. I don't drink much, usually 2 mugs a day, which i know is not a lot compared to some people, but because i've drank it literally EVERY day for so long, quitting is really hard. I want to quit because it's been giving me heartburn, IBS and also causes a lot of my anxiety issues.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever quit. How long did it take you to feel better? Any tips or tricks to quitting? weaning is not an option for me, i had to go cold turkey. I've been reading that it could actually take up to 2 months to feel 100% better and get your natural energy back.
Pretty much every woman who's ever had a baby has had to quit caffeine. It sucks. You deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 07:25 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Quote:
I'm on day 14 and i still feel absolutely awful. The headaches are gone, but i'm SO tired and i have a lot of brain fog. i'm hoping that will go away?
I did not drink coffee during my three pregnancies. I was able to discontinue a 1 cup/morning habit abruptly with a headache that started the first afternoon and went 24 hours. That was it. Most people I know, like when they fast for colonoscopies, experience caffeine withdrawal like that.

Is it possible that your caffeine consumption was masking the symptoms of another issue?

After my last pregnancy, I worked up to drinking almost a pot of coffee per day, plus coke or iced tea with meals to function when I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Once I started on medication, my ability to drink coffee plummeted. Nowadays, with my thyroid normalized, proper diet and exercise, I can only handle a cup and even that makes me a bit jittery. If I skip a cup in the morning, I will get a headache around 1:00 pm, but not brain fog and not tired.

You mentioned IBS, but without the caffeine to prop you up, you actually have IBS, fatigue and brain fog. Perhaps these symptoms need to be considered together and things like thyroid, food sensitivity or low B12 should be considered.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:27 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
I've been drinking coffee everyday for probably 10-12 years. I don't drink much, usually 2 mugs a day, which i know is not a lot compared to some people, but because i've drank it literally EVERY day for so long, quitting is really hard. I want to quit because it's been giving me heartburn, IBS and also causes a lot of my anxiety issues.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever quit. How long did it take you to feel better? Any tips or tricks to quitting? weaning is not an option for me, i had to go cold turkey. I've been reading that it could actually take up to 2 months to feel 100% better and get your natural energy back.
I've successfully quit drinking caffeinated beverages. I went through some withdrawals such as raging headaches and severe bouts of sleepiness. After a few weeks, the headaches and sleepy spells were over. I was able to function like a regular human being. My IBS still persists.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
I discovered caffeine at age 68. Prior to that, caffeine-free sodas.

You'll think I'm jivin' you, but I do not need it for energy. Really. The most strenuous thing I do is exercise, and that's all done before 10am when I take the first caffeine fix. Frankly, I like the buzz.

The only stipulation is that all caffeine ceases in early afternoon. Don't want to risk having it messing with sack time.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
what you're experiencing is "normal" withdrawal symptoms from caffeine.

If my experience 20+ years ago of going "cold turkey" is any indication ...

you may have a couple months yet before you will minimize most of the symptoms and be on track to restore your health without caffeine.

It took me almost 5 months before I felt I'd shaken off all the withdrawal symptoms and started on health recovery.

Be sure that you've eliminated ALL sources of caffeine from your diet. Soft drinks are a big source, but many other foods and beverages may have this in them. Gotta' read those labels. If in doubt, don't consume.

PS: I didn't have any other issues, such as IBS, to complicate affairs. Caffeine can be a very insidious drug with multiple effects upon endocrine, hormone, and other body functions which don't appear at first glance to be affected. But they are and it will take awhile to get back into balance. The discomfort symptoms are an unfortunate part of the restoration of your healthy balance of functions. But you must give your body the chance to do so. Set reasonable goals for the interim and adjust over time.
This is what i've been hearing a lot of. That it actually takes way more than just a few days. i guess at least for people who have been drinking it for so long.

I guess I have a long road ahead of me. I agree that it affects a lot of body functions people are unaware of. I guess I can use the excitement of getting my body back in balance to help motivate me and keep me on track.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Is it possible that your caffeine consumption was masking the symptoms of another issue?
That's what I was going to say.

The OP seems to have problems unrelated to caffiene addiction, and the withdrawal from caffiene seems to allow those other issues to come to the forefront. It could be an energy issue, it could be any number of things that drinking coffee just seems to cover up.

OP, how is your diet otherwise? I have known die-hard coffee drinkers who hardly ate anything during the day, just drank coffee. That's not so good for you.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That's what I was going to say.

The OP seems to have problems unrelated to caffiene addiction, and the withdrawal from caffiene seems to allow those other issues to come to the forefront. It could be an energy issue, it could be any number of things that drinking coffee just seems to cover up.

OP, how is your diet otherwise? I have known die-hard coffee drinkers who hardly ate anything during the day, just drank coffee. That's not so good for you.

I would agree except after doing research on caffeine withdrawal a LOT of people report that it takes them a few months to feel better.

I'm going to give it some more time to see how i feel. It's only been 2 weeks. I do agree if the problems persist than something else is going on.

Diet is in check for sure.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Ask your Dr. what they think as well.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 AM

29 posts, read 36,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I didn't quit cold turkey, though. Now I drink one or two cups of green tea every day, and I find that it doesn't bother my gut at all.
This.
I used to drink 6 - 8 cups of coffee per day. Had some heart rhythm problems. Completely stopped drinking coffee but allowed myself 1 to 2 cups of green tea per day.
I did have headaches for just a couple of days but I think the small amount of caffeine in green tea (20 - 30mg per cup, vs 90+ for drip coffee...twice that for Starbucks) helped. As long as I keep it to no more than 2 cups per day, I don't have the issues that a single cup of coffee will give me.

Everyone's sensitivity is going to be different but you might try a cup of green tea and see if it helps you.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:01 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Probably the most prolific drug addiction in the country. I don't understand people who say coffee tastes good. It is a nasty taste that you must acquire...usually by covering it in cream and sugar. At which point you may as well be having a small milkshake with breakfast.

But I certainly managed to get hooked on caffeine through sodas in teens-early 20s. Which I weaned myself off by treating it more like a treat than something you have with a meal. Make sure you stay hydrated with a lot of water and get in some exercise to keep energy levels up. Evaluating your diet and a visit to the Dr definitely good ideas as well.

This sounds promising for you, a coffee replacement that also settles the digestive system.
Quote:
“You don’t eliminate a bad habit, you replace it,” James Clear, founder of The Art Of Becoming Better, wrote in a recent Huffington Post blog. When it comes to coffee, swapping out your high-octane dark roast with a nutritious herbal coffee can help ease the transition.

Dandelion root is an herb that’s been used to treat upset stomachs and digestive troubles — and it can be made into a surprisingly tasty coffee-style drink. Brew your own using roasted dandelion root (which can be purchased in bulk from a health food store) or try Dandy Blend, an instant coffee made from dandelion root. Research has suggested compounds in dandelion root could have anti-cancer properties, and it’s also high in vitamin C, vitamin D and beta carotene.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_3732348.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness