Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Indeed it is terrible to eat ice cream everyday. (snip)
No, it isn't.

Can an Ice Cream Diet Be Good for You? - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Indeed it is terrible to eat ice cream everyday.

A better alternative is either sorbet or non dairy.
Mmmmmmm - about the only thing better than ice cream is gelato!

Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
OP: I would just be on top of blood sugar levels. Eating ice cream every day, I don't think so for me. I buy a pint of gelato and it lasts me over a week. A couple spoons now and then.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
I don't eat much ice cream these days, but when I was younger and my metabolism was fantastic.... this was a common occurence:

Freezer door open.
Me standing next to it with a pint of ice cream and a spoon.
Just one little spoonful.
ok, more more and that's it.
ok, just one more tiny little spoonful.
ok, just one more.
oh what the hell...

I miss the good ol' days.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It has not been harmful for me to eat ice cream every day... I do not normally eat ice cream every day, maybe four or five times a week, and in moderation (which means a small amount, normally slightly less than what the indicated serving is).

Less than 1/2 a cup??
I'd rather go without than be teased.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
It was for me. I was eating it just about every night. I'd put on weight when I was already overweight to begin with, but the real moment of truth was when my doc looked at my cholesterol and a1c and said, "I am going to have to put you on meds for both." I said " "Noooo, please give me the six months until my next appointment to see what I can do with diet and exercise." He agreed.

That was in May. I have the most wonderful family-owned homemade ice cream shop a mile from where I live. It stays open until midnight on weekends in July and August--and I did not eat ice cream this summer until September, when I allowed myself to get a small cup of their banana ice cream.

In previous years, I would sometimes go there on the way home from the train station and have ice cream before I decided what to eat for dinner!

I did other things--lots of salad, used My Fitness Pal, exercised regularly. I am down 26 pounds. Next month I do the bloodwork and see the doctor, and hopefully, there is a change.

But...ice cream was a big impact on my health and weight. If I had Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey in the house right now, I would eat it for breakfast. But I don't buy it anymore. It comes in those 14-ounce single-serving containers, and there are just too many calories and too much sugar in there.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:26 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
I'll let you know in about 20 years.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I love that stuff. I usually didn't eat it everyday until I bought a half gallon and now since so handy to just grab some I am eating it everyday. Anything wrong with that or am I over doing it?
Its harmful to do anything every day but ok to do almost everything food wise in moderation.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What are "macros"? I've never heard of the term being applied to food.
Macronutrients; Carbohydrates, Fats and Protein.

The term gained popularity from the bodybuilding community and the Crossfit community and from the zone diet.

The below youtube video explains it pretty well. Some language nsfw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd8tZiHexPc

It focuses on making sure you eat the right amounts of carbs, fats, and protein. Basically, "A calorie is a calorie; A carb is a carb, whether you get it from a sweet potato or a poptart, a fat is a fat, whether it comes from an avocado or a breakfast sausage, and protein is protein, whether you get it from boiled chicken or chicken fried steak."

Like most things, it isn't wrong but still misses important points. But it is good at allowing one to thoughtfully indulge without feeling like they are ruining their progress or abandoning their goals.

So if OP "left room" for the carbs/fats in the ice cream, it would be fine.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:27 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
How is your health?? Some can "get away" with it.

For me, it would be bad, sugar and too many carbs seems to drive my appetite and drain my energy.

Big negative healthwise, keep coming-up in the news, that are related to sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness