U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 PM
 
4,295 posts, read 10,123,104 times
Reputation: 8956

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: It's good to know we have so many experts here...keep an open mind to just about EVERYTHING.

Here is what Mayo says about higher pH water....

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...r/faq-20058029
YOU still don't know how to do research do you???

What you linked isn't "what MAYO says about higher pH water" it is in fact what ONE registered dietician on a Mayo web site had to say about the matter when it was asked as a question on one of their web pages....

And what DID she say...


"For most people, plain water is best."


THAT was her answer, everything after that was "what some people would have you believe, or "hasn't been proven" or "more research is needed"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2018, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Tampa
5 posts, read 823 times
Reputation: 15
This is a pretty detailed explanation how different water can be and what ph value means:

The pH Value: A Way to Assess Whether a Liquid Is Acidic or Alkaline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 05:50 AM
 
8,916 posts, read 3,233,383 times
Reputation: 12994
Quote:
Because alkaline water has a higher pH level than does plain tap water, proponents say that it can neutralize acid in your bloodstream
they must have forgotten their anatomy class... and the stomach

anything you drink goes to the stomach, where the ph is near 2... any water will not be alkaline by the time it is absorbed into the bloodstream

to neutralize a ph of 2, to get around stomach juice, the water would be so basic that it would tear a hole in your throat and it still will not make it to the bloodstream unless you count it leaking directly into the wound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,214 posts, read 4,785,147 times
Reputation: 10497
I alternate with spring water and often buy higher ph water and it's so fresh clean tasting. When I was running short on my spring water, I "tried" to use tap water and blah, so dead tasting and when I boiled in my glass teapot for water for my coffee and tea, a grey film was left on my tea pot. The chemicals and the fluorides doing a bad job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 04:54 PM
 
Location: on the wind
2,743 posts, read 961,605 times
Reputation: 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they must have forgotten their anatomy class... and the stomach

anything you drink goes to the stomach, where the ph is near 2... any water will not be alkaline by the time it is absorbed into the bloodstream

to neutralize a ph of 2, to get around stomach juice, the water would be so basic that it would tear a hole in your throat and it still will not make it to the bloodstream unless you count it leaking directly into the wound
Humans should be grateful they are not shrews...in general, these tiny critters have such high metabolic rates they need to eat about every 10 minutes. They have to eat between 80% and 90% of their body weight a day. They can only sleep for about 20 minutes straight before starting to starve or being so depleted they can't hunt. Non-stop short life in the fast lane. To support such a high energy demand, their GI tracts have to work extremely fast and efficiently. If the shrew doesn't ingest something for it to work on often enough, the shrew's body starts to digest it's own tissue. Starvation might take weeks or months for a human. For a shrew its hours. They don't spend an instant on the pH of their water or anything else, and they survive. Tell us again about acidic or alkaline water? The difference is negligible unless you drink enough of it to drown.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-08-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
20,198 posts, read 24,739,694 times
Reputation: 24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I alternate with spring water and often buy higher ph water and it's so fresh clean tasting. When I was running short on my spring water, I "tried" to use tap water and blah, so dead tasting and when I boiled in my glass teapot for water for my coffee and tea, a grey film was left on my tea pot. The chemicals and the fluorides doing a bad job.
Your spring water is full of chemicals, too.

Here is what is in Poland Spring Water, for example. Note that it may include fluoride, which occurs naturally in some water sources.

https://www.nestle-watersna.com/asse...ng.pdf#page=17

You take magnesium, right? That's a chemical. All of your supplements contain chemicals.

Minerals (chemicals) naturally found in tap water can leave deposits on your teapot. Some common ones to do that are calcium bicarbonate and magnesium carbonate. They are easily removed with another chemical: acetic acid, commonly known as vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,214 posts, read 4,785,147 times
Reputation: 10497
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your spring water is full of chemicals, too.

Here is what is in Poland Spring Water, for example. Note that it may include fluoride, which occurs naturally in some water sources.

https://www.nestle-watersna.com/asse...ng.pdf#page=17

You take magnesium, right? That's a chemical. All of your supplements contain chemicals.

Minerals (chemicals) naturally found in tap water can leave deposits on your teapot. Some common ones to do that are calcium bicarbonate and magnesium carbonate. They are easily removed with another chemical: acetic acid, commonly known as vinegar.
I prefer to NOT have to clean my teapot and I don't when I use spring water, but do from the tap.

Tap water will also give me lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
20,198 posts, read 24,739,694 times
Reputation: 24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I prefer to NOT have to clean my teapot and I don't when I use spring water, but do from the tap.

Tap water will also give me lead.
You do not have to clean your teapot if you do not want to. The mineral deposits are not dangerous.

If you have lead in your tap water you need to get the plumbing in your house fixed. It's not due to Santa Monica's water, if that is indeed where you live.

https://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/...lityReport.pdf

"What about lead from my plumbing?
The lead contamination that has made the news in Flint, Michigan is highly unlikely in Santa Monica as there are no lead service connections here and the quality of our source water is much different than Flint’s. Additionally, our corrosion control processes are in compliance by state drinking water regulators. Testing of a pool of “high risk” homes that were plumbed before the ban on lead in solder took place has occurred every three years since 1992 and has continually indicated there is little tendency of our water to leach lead out of plumbing. The next round of testing is scheduled for 2019."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2018, 10:28 AM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
4,480 posts, read 6,958,901 times
Reputation: 5950
Water that is naturally high pH @ 8.8, from glacial springs of Iceland, is available from Walgreen's for $1.79 per liter.

ICELAND Spring Water
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ni...258082-product

I use it to reduce the effects of "silent reflux" or LPR

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12353431
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngopharyngeal_reflux
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,214 posts, read 4,785,147 times
Reputation: 10497
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Water that is naturally high pH @ 8.8, from glacial springs of Iceland, is available from Walgreen's for $1.79 per liter.

ICELAND Spring Water
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ni...258082-product

I use it to reduce the effects of "silent reflux" or LPR

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12353431
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngopharyngeal_reflux
I bought bottles of this Iceland water often when I was still driving..our coop sells it and now I don't get to our coop as I did. Great water IMO. I'll have to see if Whole Foods sell it as I get WF delivery now. I added 2 50 oz bottles of Iceland at 2.49 ea and as I said I alternate between spring the higher ph water. My quality water is my choice of what I drink at this point in my life...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-09-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top