U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,128,729 times

Advertisements

Be careful, though, as many municipal water supplies are contaminated with dihydrogen monoxide, a powerful solvent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 AM

15,249 posts, read 4,803,603 times
reed303: Your comment on reflux and I've never had that issue...could be the quality water I consume for years. A friend has horrid acid reflux and can't afford to buy quality water so she's left with tap water.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I prefer to NOT have to clean my teapot and I don't when I use spring water, but do from the tap.

Tap water will also give me lead.
From what spring?

Where I grew up all the springs were coming out of limestone so spring water was loaded with calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

Tap water may or may not have dissolved lead in it. The only way you can tell for sure is to test it.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM

20,219 posts, read 24,755,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
From what spring?

Where I grew up all the springs were coming out of limestone so spring water was loaded with calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

Tap water may or may not have dissolved lead in it. The only way you can tell for sure is to test it.
Municipal systems do check for it. If the location in her profile is correct, her tap water does not contain high levels of lead.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 PM

I'm talking about coming thru lead plumbing. Our apt bldg does not have copper plumbing. I'm talking about leaching from the lead piping in my bldg.

Again I'm comfortable with my spring water and ph water choices.

Suzy, you do more work on my city water than I care to. I've done enough years ago.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-09-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 07:44 PM

20,219 posts, read 24,755,661 times
Quote:
I'm talking about coming thru lead plumbing. Our apt bldg does not have copper plumbing.

Again I'm comfortable with my spring water and ph water choices.
Did you bother to read that Santa Monica monitors whether its water contains high levels of lead, even in buildings that might be susceptible to leaching from pipes using lead solder? It's not a problem. Unless you have obtained a sample of water from your tap and had it tested for lead you cannot say your tap water has lead in it.

If you have had it tested and it contains high levels of lead, have you reported it to your water company? It would be first-page news, I suspect.

https://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/...lityReport.pdf

"What about lead from my plumbing?
The lead contamination that has made the news in Flint, Michigan is highly unlikely in Santa Monica as there are no lead service connections here and the quality of our source water is much different than Flint’s. Additionally, our corrosion control processes are in compliance by state drinking water regulators. Testing of a pool of “high risk” homes that were plumbed before the ban on lead in solder took place has occurred every three years since 1992 and has continually indicated there is little tendency of our water to leach lead out of plumbing. The next round of testing is scheduled for 2019."

Old 03-10-2018, 07:08 AM

8,819 posts, read 5,935,017 times
Quote:
reed303: Your comment on reflux and I've never had that issue...could be the quality water I consume for years. A friend has horrid acid reflux and can't afford to buy quality water so she's left with tap water.
I drink tap water, have done so all my life, and I have no issues with acid reflux. And I am 70 yrs old.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I drink tap water, have done so all my life, and I have no issues with acid reflux. And I am 70 yrs old.
Fine, that is your choice, not mine.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:54 PM

4,480 posts, read 6,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Water that is naturally high pH @ 8.8, from glacial springs of Iceland, is available from Walgreen's for $1.79 per liter.

ICELAND Spring Water
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ni...258082-product

I use it to reduce the effects of "silent reflux" or LPR

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12353431
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngopharyngeal_reflux
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I did not say tap water caused my reflux, I use the high alkaline Ph 8.88 Iceland water to reduce the stomach acid that causes LPR. FWIW, I'm 74 y/o

Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 PM

Well, first of all the problem with acid reflux is not that the acid is too acidic; it's that the acid is allowed to escape.

And secondly, do you really think that drinking slightly alkaline water will actually reduce the acidity of the 2 pH stomach acid so much that it won't irritate the esophagus? Let's get real here. If stomach acid gets into the esophagus it's going to be an irritant at anything below about 6 or 5.5 pH I would guess. There is no freaking way that your slightly alkaline water is going to take a stomach's worth of pH 2 acid and buffer it to 5.5 or 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or