Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Not surprising given this:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/1791497
Conflict of Interest Disclosures: All authors have completed and submitted the development of educational presentations from ASH/AHSR (Daiichi Sankyo); and individual and institutional payment from Amarin Pharma Inc, Daiichi Sankyo, and LipoScience Inc for educational grant(s) for the Annual UAB Vascular Biology & ...
You can be skeptical. Me? I'm going to follow the instructions and recommendations of the guy I pay to be my physician and will follow guidelines put out periodically /evidence based studies. I plan on staying below the latest numbers. Good luck to anyone who is happy with over 130/80. I wish you a long, happy, strokeless, MI-less, HF, CRF-less lives.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:48 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Is it specifically written into the RECOMMENDATIONS?

Or is it tossed in the discussion?

You are not understanding the way specific recommendations are created by medical organizations. Not. At. All.

Recommendations are standalone. But kudos for accessing the correct doc this time.

For instance: Here is an the AFP's write up of the JNC 8 guidelines.
Found here: Practice Guidelines: JNC8 Guidelines for the Management of Hypertension in Adults - American Family Physician
"Key Points for Practice

• In the general population, pharmacologic treatment should be initiated when blood pressure is 150/90 mm Hg or higher in adults 60 years and older, or 140/90 mm Hg or higher in adults younger than 60 years.
• In patients with hypertension and diabetes, pharmacologic treatment should be initiated when blood pressure is 140/90 mm Hg or higher, regardless of age.
• Initial antihypertensive treatment should include a thiazide diuretic, calcium channel blocker, ACE inhibitor, or ARB in the general nonblack population or a thiazide diuretic or calcium channel blocker in the general black population.
• If the target blood pressure is not reached within one month after initiating therapy, the dosage of the initial medication should be increased, or a second medication should be added.
From the AFP Editors"

Note that life mod is NOT mentioned. Read the whole article. Not mentioned. You won't find it. Because they are citing the JNC 8 RECOMMENDATIONS. Which do not include life mod.

Good GAWD ALMIGHTY. /facepalm/ times 100.
The American Family Physician article was concerned with medication treatment. It is not a comprehensive discussion of JNC 8. It does, however, link to the JAMA article you previously cited, which does discuss lifestyle changes.

"For all persons with hypertension, the potential benefits of a healthy diet, weight control, and regular exercise cannot be overemphasized. These lifestyle treatments have the potential to improve BP control and even reduce medication needs. Although the authors of this hypertension guideline did not conduct an evidence review of lifestyle treatments in patients taking and not taking antihypertensive medication, we support the recommendations of the 2013 Lifestyle Work Group."

Link to the Lifestyle Work Group report is in my previous post. It lists diet and exercise recommendations.

Moderator cut: edited out rude remark

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-15-2017 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 12:53 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You can be skeptical. Me? I'm going to follow the instructions and recommendations of the guy I pay to be my physician and will follow guidelines put out periodically /evidence based studies. I plan on staying below the latest numbers. Good luck to anyone who is happy with over 130/80. I wish you a long, happy, strokeless, MI-less, HF, CRF-less lives.
I never said that I'm "happy with over 130/80." Personally, I believe that, for most, lifestyle modification, including a plant-based diet, is the best approach for preventing and treating HTN. Sure, some people have to continue to take BP meds, but not everyone.

BTW, my beliefs are evidence-based.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I never said that I'm "happy with over 130/80." Personally, I believe that lifestyle modification, including a plant-based diet, is the best approach for treating and preventing HTN. Sure, some people have to take BP meds, but not everyone.

BTW, my beliefs are evidence-based.
I bet physicians love to hear when patients give it their all, when patients tell them they are doing their best with lifestyle modifications as you have.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I bet physicians love to hear when patients give it their all, when patients tell them they are doing their best with lifestyle modifications as you have.
I don't understand what you are saying. You don't know me, or my medical history.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you are saying. You don't know me, or my medical history.
I'm not specifically commenting about your history other than your diet. So many physicians have to jump to rxing meds because there is no way in hell that some, probably the majority, or their patients are willing to have the discipline to improve diet, limit sodium, improve fitness, stress reduction, etc. Patients who are compliant must make doctors very happy...

Old 11-15-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not specifically commenting about your history other than your diet. So many physicians have to jump to rxing meds because there is no way in hell that some, probably the majority, or their patients are willing to have the discipline to improve diet, limit sodium, improve fitness, stress reduction, etc. Patients who are compliant must make doctors very happy...
No, you did make a comment about me:

Quote:
You don't know me, my medical history, or my physician. So, who are you to judge my diet????

Old 11-15-2017, 01:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
No, you did make a comment about me:

You don't know me, my medical history, or my physician. So, who are you to judge my diet????
It was a compliment, pacific. He's saying physicians love it when patients like you do make lifestyle changes.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:22 PM

Plant based diets are very good for ones heart.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It was a compliment, pacific. He's saying physicians love it when patients like you do make lifestyle changes.
Quote:
Plant based diets are very good for ones heart.
Thanks, and my apologies to BucFan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness