Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:36 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I guess our family (some adopted) are just aliens. Dairy isn't tolerated well. My son quit getting ear infections. My granddaughter quit getting eczema. Our adopted grandkids quit having 2 constant streams of mucous coming out of their noses. We limit it to a little bit on cereal now and then and the rare pizza. Some family members won't even eat that.
That still does not mean "milk increases mucus" for everyone.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
So it seems to me that some people have dairy allergies where it affects them negatively and the body produces more mucus. Then you have people that don't have any issues with dairy and consuming it does not cause more mucus.
Pick which group you are in and post accordingly. No need to argue over it.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:53 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Bluedevilz posted a good article summarizing the goods, bads and uglies of mucus, but basically mucus serves as a lubricant, and protective agent against microorganisms, pollen and other particles in the air that you breathe in. And coughing is a mechanism used to rid the respiratory tract of offending particles, and other substances that might harm an individual. Although mucus production and coughing can be excessive and annoying at times, they're part of the body's innate immune system and we'd all be in a sorry pickle without them.
Yeah, my basic understanding of it is that it's holding the bacteria and other bad stuff, and getting it our of us.

I don't dry it out - I want it to get out. I arm myself with kleenex with lotion and if there is a lot clogging up my head or chest, musinex breaks it up and gets it out.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not posting any info on the "science"...I had a friend who drank a lot of milk daily and she was full of sickening mucus. Info is out there and Milk is a major allergen for MANY. Many babies cannot even be fed dairy when they are born due to allergens, lactose issues etc.

Again, adults are fed a bunch of negative info from the dairy industry. Doesn't anyone else get this??????

Do you feed your dogs, adult cats, cows, horses, MILK?????
My dog LOVES milk. And it causes no mucus or diarrhea as everyone claims it will. She is not lactose intolerant.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Human beings are also the only species that can do a lot of things--like figure out how to get milk, how to cook vegetables, how to butcher an animal and preserve the meat.

We use our brains to obtain foods that other species cannot get.
Indeed. And while you are enjoying a little milk, offer some to the nearest cat, dog, mouse, deer, or monkey and see how eagerly they consume this delicacy.

My cats get a little plain yogurt every day and they adore it. It doesn't upset their stomachs at all.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thanks for jumping in, I've been saying the same things....adults and drinking milk from a cow. How did the milk industry decide on cows vs say horses for humans to drink their milk. Just thought of that one, we take so much for granted on what "they tell us".
Many people drink goats milk. People in Pakistan and India drink it from water buffalo's. Milk is a whole food and it's awesome.

As far as other species, some of them when grown can't digest anything besides grains/grass/etc. Carnivores will certainly drink milk if they can find it, but they do lack the ability to dairy farm and obtain it the way we do, doesn't mean they don't want it.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Human beings are also the only species that can do a lot of things--like figure out how to get milk, how to cook vegetables, how to butcher an animal and preserve the meat.

We use our brains to obtain foods that other species cannot get.

An old time remedy for a cold is warm milk with a bit of ginger in it. Warm liquids are supposed to be good for a cold and ginger has long been purported to be "warming."

I do see peoples' point about the dairy industry though. They do push it. But even if they didn't and I could still consume dairy, I'd be having some daily. Cheddar cheese, hot cocoa on a winter night...mmmmmmm...and a decent amount of calcium included!
We've been drinking it for 7,000 years. Before there was a dairy industry. It's food.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Indeed. And while you are enjoying a little milk, offer some to the nearest cat, dog, mouse, deer, or monkey and see how eagerly they consume this delicacy.

My cats get a little plain yogurt every day and they adore it. It doesn't upset their stomachs at all.
And our birds love cheese. We don't let them have a lot of it (reportedly some birds are lactose intolerant, can't see that in our birds) but they sure zero in on cheese when they see it.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Here's the thing....some things in life really are "black and white"

Dairy does not cause mucus production....that is a fact and no it really "doesn't depend on the person"

This has been proven over and over over....there is no debate except in the minds of those who prefer wive's tales over scientific fact....

The subject of food and its impact on the body can be extremely varied and complex.

I guess there is not ANY food that would cause an increase in bodily mucus-levels......I find that hard to believe: https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...-create-mucus/

Allergies can also cause your body to make more mucus than normal, according to Dr. Anthony Komaroff in an article published on the Monterey Herald website. The main food allergens include eggs, fish, milk, tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish and soybeans. Other foods could also produce an allergic reaction and thus an increase in mucus.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:57 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That still does not mean "milk increases mucus" for everyone.
I have NOT read every word here, but was it said that Everyone gets mucus from drinking milk?

Words are added and omitted so much in these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.