Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 PM

63 posts, read 40,971 times

Advertisements

I'm 34, male, 6ft2, healthy weight bmi etc. and no known conditions, i.e.non diabetic etc. I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months. I have a close direct relative, father, who has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).

The last 3 weeks or so now I've woken up in the early morning (range from 230am - 6am) and had this strange but slight sensation that I need to pee. I awake to find I have it and then can't get back to sleep. I'm wide awake. However it definitely isn't a strong, intense, desperate urge but rather just a slight awareness if that makes sense which is why I don't even need to pee so I never actually go straight away and sometimes don't go at all until later in the morning. So it's more of a slight awareness if that makes sense.

What's even more odd is that this never happens at any other time of the day or night. I have no other symptoms, no burning, no pain, normal urine frequency. I'm fine, my usual self at all other times and can go about my normal day, however this is affecting my sleep now. I haven't had an one uninterrupted nights sleep for a while.

I had an urinalysis done two weeks ago which came back normal. I'll go and get my prostate checked but any idea what this could be? I feel if something disturbs your usual sleep pattern then something isn't quite right. Someone did suggest apnea but I'm not sure. I've used an app to record my snoring and it sounds fairly normal. But it would explain why I'm only getting this one symptom at night time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I guess you've not changed your overall fluid intake or are drinking more close to bedtime? And you've not had to get up for the bathroom in the past?

Because it's not that unusual to have to go in the middle of the night...you might get back to sleep faster if you'd just GO and be done with it - and it would be instructive on what the volume is since you say it's not really a strong urge. But sure, it might be prostate-related - you are in your mid-30's so to get up once in the night isn't really weird.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
All snoring is abnormal unless you have a stopped up nose or a deviated septum. Baring one of those conditions, you have a sleep apnea.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I guess you've not changed your overall fluid intake or are drinking more close to bedtime? And you've not had to get up for the bathroom in the past?

Because it's not that unusual to have to go in the middle of the night...you might get back to sleep faster if you'd just GO and be done with it - and it would be instructive on what the volume is since you say it's not really a strong urge. But sure, it might be prostate-related - you are in your mid-30's so to get up once in the night isn't really weird.
I've always had a cup of green tea before bed but I would usually empty my bladder as I'm brushing my teeth for the night. And yes, I never used to get up in the night to go to the bathroom. I hear you though, maybe I am just getting old!

However like I said it's never a busting, desperate feeling of needung to go so it's more that I wake up THEN notice the slight urge. In other words, I'm thinking this is less to do with urinary issues but rather a sleep issue hence why I mentioned apnea.

Like for example, last night I was asleep by midnight but then awake at 1:05am noticing the slight awareness of wanting to go. Voided, nothing abnormal and then had some water but couldn't sleep until I think around 3:45. Woke up around 8:15 with no urge to go pee. So something is happening around the 2am to 5am window that is causing me to be wide awake. I did think it could be the remeron I'm on but I never had these side effects to begin with. Infact I slept uninterrupted for like 10 hours when I first took it. I did miss a dose here and there recently but didn't stop suddenly.

Last edited by endoftheworld; 12-12-2017 at 12:42 AM..

Old 12-12-2017, 01:23 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Eliminate the cup of tea before bedtime and see if that helps.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:25 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
All snoring is abnormal unless you have a stopped up nose or a deviated septum. Baring one of those conditions, you have a sleep apnea.
Not true. Not all snoring is abnormal. And sleep apnea is not the only reason people snore. However his snoring should be checked in case it is.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Also I'm not sure if anxiety and feeling nervous is playing a part. The more I think about it all the more it starts to worry me about what's wrong that I end up feeling on edge which in turn gives way to the slight urge to pee?

Old 12-12-2017, 12:49 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
I think you should definitely get the prostate checked and if that is ok and not enlarged then maybe it is a slight shift in the normal aging process and you are noticing it because you are one of those people that are more aware, possibly even hyper aware?

One thing I have noticed is I am way more sensitive to noticing things in my body and others are not and so it can seem like something is wrong in us or we can get paranoid but it is not something wrong but a change.

Like the 1st few times I got insomnia and I never had it before, I over worried and it made it worse. if you just except sometimes we are a bit different physiologically, it really helps.

Now if I have a bit of insomnia I listen to the nights sounds or look out a window or if its bad read a book for 30 minute and go back to sleep or whatever. I used to overthink it. Maybe you just have a slightly lighter sleep because your older.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I have a similar problem; I wake around 5am, faint need to pee, never get back to sleep.
But I'm female, so prostate isn't the issue.

Green tea has lots of caffeine. Switch to herb tea and see if you sleep through the night.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:20 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
You mentioned you're taking Remeron. Just because you didn't have side effects when first taking it doesn't mean things don't change. Have you talked to your doctor?

And, I would say that feeling anxious about a problem can absolutely influence it. Anxiety alone can often give you a feeling of a need (however slight) to urinate. The sleep issue (and not being able to go back to sleep) can also be an anxiety issue. The fact that you report not needing to urinate much on getting up at 8am might be something to look at, too, in relation to the drug you mentioned.

I don't know what it's like to sleep 8 or 10 hours straight and never have. Can't help you with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness