Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
One of the reason I hate cold weather, lol my skin gets so dry and itchy...

some one told me to use vaseline but it is really heavy on my skin.

anyone have any dry skin products they like. I tried a few of the lotions but they are mainly water.

LOL, I'm brown skinned AA so my first clue is I get the "ashies".

Thanks
actually my first experience with really dry skin was in college at the University of Colo. I was from So Ca and never experienced really dry skin. The gal at the pharmacy suggested I use Vicks before going to bed at night. It did work, but spelling like a medicine chest wasn't very appealing to an 18 year old collage gal. I have never used anything like that since. Just recently I started using bit E oil. I think the secret is rubbing in whatever you use as deep as you can. Coconut Oill is also supposed to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I use quite a few lotions and creams but the real secret for me is what I do before I shower and exfoliate. I put plain old castor oil on my skin and hair. Then I just go about my normal activities for a couple hours, then shower. Really good for hair and skin. After I exfoliate my feet, I also put on castor oil and wear socks. Overnight is ideal.

And castor oil is cheap. I usually buy it a quart at a time on ebay. It lasts about a year.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,735 times
I dry brush my skin regularly and use coconut oil. I prefer the coconut oil over lotion any day. And it works like a charm.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:55 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Amlactin Lotion is A FREAKING MIRACLE.
It feels too thin to do any good but don’t let that fool you.
It also has a funny, ammonia like smell in the first minute you apply but it disappears very quickly. A dermatologist told me about it and it is the best thing ever. No more sandpaper elbows. No more dry skin bumps on winter legs. It apparently gets rid of chicken skin on the arms of those who get that.
And I’ve saved the best for last.
If you put it on your feet twice a day, you will have feet like mine. Like a baby’s backside.
They weren’t always like this.
I used to cringe when I went for a pedi because it was like a blizzard when they got the heel rasp out. I know what they really wanted was a belt sander. My heels were horrible. Callused, dry, cracked and looked like lizard skin.
Try Amlactin and don’t worry if it seems thin or watery. The stuff is a flipping miracle.

I double dawg dare you. Try it for a few months and have feet, not hooves.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:24 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
It feels too thin to do any good but don’t let that fool you.
It also has a funny, ammonia like smell in the first minute you apply but it disappears very quickly. A dermatologist told me about it and it is the best thing ever. No more sandpaper elbows. No more dry skin bumps on winter legs. It apparently gets rid of chicken skin on the arms of those who get that.
And I’ve saved the best for last.
If you put it on your feet twice a day, you will have feet like mine. Like a baby’s backside.
They weren’t always like this.
I used to cringe when I went for a pedi because it was like a blizzard when they got the heel rasp out. I know what they really wanted was a belt sander. My heels were horrible. Callused, dry, cracked and looked like lizard skin.
Try Amlactin and don’t worry if it seems thin or watery. The stuff is a flipping miracle.

I double dawg dare you. Try it for a few months and have feet, not hooves.
haha, I can relate to thinking the pedi folks may pull out the belt sander haha

I am going to try this lotion.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

I am going to try this lotion.

I bought some Amlactin years ago for my daughter's "chicken skin" upper arms. Your assertion that disappears quickly was not true for her, nor was it for me. It felt very greasy and stayed that way a good while. It did not get rid of her "chicken skin", but she may not have used it long enough. She couldn't stand the greasiness.

So, years later, I had a friend who had a dry, scaly, itchy spot on her back. I gave her what was left of the lotion and she loved it. When she went to get more they said that the kind I gave her, with urea, was now "behind the counter". I don't know what that means, but she got a friend who is a CVS manager to get her some. The kind they sell at Wal-Mart is not the high-powered stuff. Just so ya know.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,718 times
I was real sick in October with Cellulitis on my leg. I also had Chronic Stasis Dermatitis . My skin on legs looked HORRIBLE. Here are the creams we bought which were recommended to us. VaniCream, Eucerin, and Aquaphor. All the Gold Bond products are VERY good.

Good Luck!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Also, the biggie for me? No matter how much you want to, don’t take long hot showers. Keep the showers warm and short.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:36 AM

94 posts, read 87,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Also, the biggie for me? No matter how much you want to, don’t take long hot showers. Keep the showers warm and short.
Party pooper!

I use only Dr. Bronners castille soaps, they help a lot especially with the itching. Even use it to wash my hair. I follow that up with “Keri moisture rich oil”. Apply when I finished showering, while skin is still wet, then I pat dry. I buy it off Amazon.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:59 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Ok lol that maybe my "kiss of death". I adore long hot showers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness