U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM

27,325 posts, read 17,525,976 times

Advertisements

Not all doctors are the same, if you don't like yours, get a new one.

My doctors return my calls, I have cell phones in some cases, and others have email.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 04:39 PM

17,856 posts, read 17,054,519 times
When I lived back in Massachusetts the nurse would call me back after having spoken with the doctor. That was okay because I have never had an actual dr call me back.

Where I live now, some assistant calls you back. It took me three months to get the first appointment only to find that the dr is only there two days a week! What if you need to speak to your doctor on one of the other days? So now I'm trying to find another dr. I have an appointment with a new one--in another three months! Send some good drs to CT--greater Hartford area!

Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 PM

7,638 posts, read 5,381,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Ok.

I have unfortunately spent a lot of time around hospitals and doctors lately and I have a very major gripe (that I never realized before because I've never spent a lot of time around hospitals and doctors).

If you're a freakin doctor, you're making 150 - 600K a year, you should be accessible at least by email to answer questions from patients. Or at least have your administrative take down the message and guarantee the patient will get some kind of an answer from another doctor or highly qualified nurse there or something.

I understand if you're a famous heart surgeon at NY Presbyterian that you might not have time to answer questions from patients. And maybe you have a qualified nurse answer pressing questions.

But if you're a freakin internal med or specialty doctor operating out of a 1-story clinic outpatient in the suburbs that closes its doors at 4:30 PM sharp, then you should be accessible to return calls or emails to patients.

Instead, I call the office and the doctor obviously won't pick up the phone to talk to me that moment (I understand), won't call me back if I leave a message (fair), won't give out his email address (bad), and administrative is more or less completely in the dark about how I can get question to my doctor answered.

At the very least, have a nurse practitioner or PA available to answer questions and emergencies such as "Hey, I'm bleeding from the procedure. Should I go to the hospital? Am I going to die?" The last time I called, the receptionist (who I'm not even sure has an LPN) was giving me advice on something that might have been life threatening (long shot, but still).

Moderator cut: removed highly inflammatory remark and inappropriate language
Change doctors. Issue resolved!

Old 12-16-2017, 06:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 2,548,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

If you're a freakin doctor, you're making 150 - 600K a year, you should be accessible at least by email to answer questions from patients. Or at least have your administrative take down the message and guarantee the patient will get some kind of an answer from another doctor or highly qualified nurse there or something.

I understand if you're a famous heart surgeon at NY Presbyterian that you might not have time to answer questions from patients. And maybe you have a qualified nurse answer pressing questions.
I find the opposite. My son has been with a very famous hospital (one of the top in the World) for the last 28 years. They are totally accessible. He has a "my chart" and any time he messages them they respond within a few hours (yes, top heart surgeons and such). I couldn't be happier with them.

My own Internist--she is wonderful. Always responds to me within 24 hours.

Get new doctors.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:19 PM

18,551 posts, read 6,037,470 times
Just talked to a friend in the desert and she changed to HMO a couple yrs ago and service is stinky. She now has to go to her regular GP to get a referral for a dermatologist...it took her a year she said to get to the derm and spent 1 hr waiting and the doc spent about 5 minutes with her..burning off cancers on her leg.

The doctor has 1000's of senior patients.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:17 AM

6,908 posts, read 10,782,078 times
I would like to post an 'epilogue' to this thread.

Recently, I randomly came across a book by Paul Kalantithi, a very academically accomplished individual who was training to become a neurosurgeon.

When he was almost done with residency, he was tragically diagnosed with Lung Cancer and passed away less than 2 years later. The book is based upon this experience and was published posthumously.

In any case, he touches upon the topic I was discussing here and the 'double-sense' of having been a doctor and then a patient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5u753wQeyM

See 2:55 in the video.

He also goes on, in another interview, to say that he has gone to school with doctors who are trying to get more $ for less time and effort, and while that is what everybody else in the world does ... feels that doctors have a higher calling and sense of responsibility.

In the book, he also goes on to say how a young ER resident is trying to push him out of getting a very important prescription filled because that will save him 'paperwork' and 'having to admit to his boss that he made a mistake'.

To which, I do agree. If you're a doctor or a nurse, PA, NP, etc you're signing up for a greater degree of responsibility beyond just getting paid for the time you're working.

In any case, the book is really good, intelligent, thought provoking, and touching.

https://www.amazon.com/When-Breath-B.../dp/081298840X

Give it a read.

The videos are also very good.

Last edited by jobaba; 01-11-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM

18,551 posts, read 6,037,470 times
Being an older soul here I can think back to the good old family doctor I grew up with. Money was not his major goal. He was a simple, had an office in his home and all I can say welcome to the modern world. We need more doctors, people are living longer and of course expenses are skyrocketing and yes Money is much much important to many MD's. My MD runs a pretty simple office, not a major high tech office, but techie enough and things run smoothly for her and the staff. I don's see her as a money grabber but she's got expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness