Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:57 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,243,967 times

Advertisements

That is the first thing I thought of when I saw OP's story about the op and then the dementia. Very scary. I haven't read the link above but will when this Christmas frenzy is over.

As we all get older, things happen and we go under anesthesia for one thing or another. Fall and break things, need a new knee, or whatever. Makes you wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 08:57 PM

19,105 posts, read 16,488,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Similar situation with my grandmother after she fell and broke her ankle, but I think her's was made worse by the fact that she had macular degeneration and was hard of hearing. It was already confusing for her being in a rehab facility (really a nursing home), but to not be able to see or hear who was coming and going was really tough for her. And to make matters even worse, she developed a UTI which can cause confusion as well.
Oh, I'm so sorry. That has to be difficult for all of you.

Isn't that just crazy how a UTI can cause mental confusion? I learned about that while caring for my mother. I remember her having a few of them over the years - before she developed dementia. I wonder every now and then if these previous infections could have exacerbated the dementia after surgery. I've learned a lot in the years after her death. Things I wish I'd known before. Maybe I could have asked more questions but we just didn't know.

I guess it's a good lesson for us to keep drinking our cranberry juice and taking D-Mannose to keep away the bad bacteria.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:58 AM

11,897 posts, read 6,475,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's my fear, too. I even asked my eye doctor what type of anesthesia he was going to use when I had cataract surgery. I was so afraid of losing my memory. Everything worked out, though.

As to whether it's a lack of oxygen during surgery ... I just don't know, mountainrose. I've read numerous articles on the subject. Some say it isn't the anesthesia and others say it's a contributing factor.

If you are interested, here is a very interesting article that talks about that very problem. It doesn't directly point to anesthesia as being the primary cause but does suggest that it needs to be administered properly.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/2..._after_surgery
Thanks -- that's an interesting article especially this part:

"...not result in any lasting adverse effects on memory – even for very old or Alzheimer's disease model mice – providing that good anaesthetic techniques are employed. These techniques include ensuring that the depth of anaesthesia and total exposure time are kept to a minimum, "

We spend a lot of time interviewing and picking our surgeons, but not our anesthesiologists.
I had a surgeon friend tell me once that you should demand to know which anesthesiologist is being used and interview them, as they are just as important as the surgeon.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thanks -- that's an interesting article especially this part:

"...not result in any lasting adverse effects on memory – even for very old or Alzheimer's disease model mice – providing that good anaesthetic techniques are employed. These techniques include ensuring that the depth of anaesthesia and total exposure time are kept to a minimum, "

We spend a lot of time interviewing and picking our surgeons, but not our anesthesiologists.
I had a surgeon friend tell me once that you should demand to know which anesthesiologist is being used and interview them, as they are just as important as the surgeon.
You are so right about our concern with the surgeon and not the anesthesiologist. They (literally) hold your life in their hands when you go under the knife. My favorite doctor (retired now) once said we ask more questions about the car we're looking to buy than we do about our own body. Even with medications. The side effects are often worse than the illness at least according to all those pharmaceutical commercials on tv.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 PM

649 posts, read 808,707 times
Quote:
I don't really subscribe to the belief dementia can be prevented but I do think living a healthier lifestyle is beneficial. Using my mother as an example. Mom developed dementia after hip surgery. She was 84 and had just renewed her driver's license. Written and driving exam and aced both. Then, took a tumble outside the grocery store and underwent hip surgery. When she awoke, she didn't know any of us; even her husband of 61 years. This went on for eight years and the last six, she didn't even know me. She thought I was the nice lady who took care of her. It was disheartening to think that this woman who was still active at 84, lived in her own home and driving a car, could spiral down like that. I know the loss in memory was caused by anesthesia but dementia was still the result.

I don't know if anything like that will happen to me but you never know. Even if you eat right and exercise, there's always that one small chance something could happen. It's still better to eat right and move your body to avoid all those old age ailments.
My mother had hip surgery at 65, woke up with dementia that moved fast, died within three years. FIL had hip surgery at 80, woke up with dementia that progessed slowly, died 8 years later. Each was completely normal before anaesthesia.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
My mother had hip surgery at 65, woke up with dementia that moved fast, died within three years. FIL had hip surgery at 80, woke up with dementia that progessed slowly, died 8 years later. Each was completely normal before anaesthesia.
Wow, not just one but two. That's really sad. I'm so sorry. I wonder if anyone in the scientific field is doing stats. I'd be curious to know just how many elderly individuals who had surgery developed dementia afterwards. I bet it's more common than we really know.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,565,121 times
Quote:
My story about a neighbor...she had a hip replacement at 82 with the normal anesthesia and then another one at 90 (this year) and her mind is fine. Body wracked with arthritis but good mind. So I'm thinking she is OK perhaps due to taking grape seed extract for about the last 10 yrs and I believe I have commented on grape seed ex and the mind...

Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 PM

42,721 posts, read 25,896,862 times
Quote:
I don't really subscribe to the belief dementia can be prevented but I do think living a healthier lifestyle is beneficial. Using my mother as an example. Mom developed dementia after hip surgery. She was 84 and had just renewed her driver's license. Written and driving exam and aced both. Then, took a tumble outside the grocery store and underwent hip surgery. When she awoke, she didn't know any of us; even her husband of 61 years. This went on for eight years and the last six, she didn't even know me. She thought I was the nice lady who took care of her. It was disheartening to think that this woman who was still active at 84, lived in her own home and driving a car, could spiral down like that. I know the loss in memory was caused by anesthesia but dementia was still the result.

I don't know if anything like that will happen to me but you never know. Even if you eat right and exercise, there's always that one small chance something could happen. It's still better to eat right and move your body to avoid all those old age ailments.
I wonder in a case like that if she when she fell she might have hit her head? My next door neighbor was sharp as a tack at 85, then almost overnight he developed dementia. It progressed so quickly that after a few months he didn't know his name. Then he fell down and was taken to the hospital, they did tests and found out that his recent fall didn't cause any damage but that he had evidence of a major brain bleed from some time earlier and that is what caused the dementia. Unfortunately the damage was done and there was nothing they could do, he passed away a few months later.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I wonder in a case like that if she when she fell she might have hit her head?
I suppose it could happen but that's not what happened in my mother's case. She was fully alert before going into surgery and knew us and everything that was going on.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:24 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,635,373 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about you mom and father-in-law, but was either evaluated by a neurologist in order to determine the cause of the dementia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness