Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 03:40 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It isn't snake oil and homeopathy has been around LONG LONG before pharma drugs.

Functional Medicine is here to Stay as I posted a link in Alt Med some weeks ago. More and more are going this route and using BOTH or many protocols.
Some of it IS snake oil and dangerous. Some is not. Why not support determining what is safe and efficacious and what is not? I support that for ALL drugs regardless of whether they’re prescription or alternative. Why don’t you?

Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Nope. Here’s what they’re doing and why. Your anecdotal story doesn’t refute that.

FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb laid out the rationale in stark terms. “In recent years, we’ve seen a large uptick in products labeled as homeopathic that are being marketed for a wide array of diseases and conditions, from the common cold to cancer,” Gottlieb said in a statement. “In many cases, people may be placing their trust and money in therapies that may bring little to no benefit in combating serious ailments, or worse—that may cause significant and even irreparable harm because the products are poorly manufactured, or contain active ingredients that aren’t adequately tested or disclosed to patients.”

Why would anyone be against products being vetted for safety and efficacy? They wouldn’t unless they’re profiting by selling the equivalent of magic beans. If Homeopathic remedies really work, they’ll stand up to scientific scrutiny. If not, the companies making false claims deserve to be run out of business.
Where is the proof that this is happening?

100,000+ people are KILLED every YEAR by FDA-approved drugs that are properly prescribed for the correct condition, dosed correctly, proper prescription picked up at the pharmacy, and taken as directed by the patient.

And then they are dead. 100,000+ every year.

How many are killed by homeopathy?

Where are the statistics that PROVE harm is occurring?

Old 12-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thanks! Sorry for the error of memory.

My statement stands though: Do you not think this should be investigated?

You think 10 deaths over 10 years warrants an investigation.

But 1 million deaths (100,000+) over 10 years does not?

Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,435 times
Quote:
Where did I say I’m ok with deaths caused by prescription drugs? I’m not. Nor am I ok with those caused by Homeopathic remedies. If you are, that’s on you.
This is what they said about the accusations:
"Whether these deaths directly relate to teething products "has not yet been determined and is currently under review," Meyer added."

On the other hand big pharma has been caught countless times selling medicine THEY KNEW was contaminated (and probably more they know is not only useless, but harmful).

Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It was in Scientific American - I will link later, my computer or connection is obnoxiously slow this morning.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-families-say/

Maybe this is the article you're looking for?

Old 12-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
This is what they said about the accusations:
"Whether these deaths directly relate to teething products "has not yet been determined and is currently under review," Meyer added."

On the other hand big pharma has been caught countless times selling medicine THEY KNEW was contaminated (and probably more they know is not only useless, but harmful).
So let the FDA do their job and determine what happened. I’m for that. And for stiff penalties and even closing of pharma companies if warranted. Why would anyone be against ensuring that companies products are safe and their claims are true? How can that be a bad thing??

Old 12-22-2017, 04:04 PM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
It boggles the mind. On one hand there’s outrage at the damage done by prescription drugs and on the other a willingness to let Homeopathic remedies kill people while shrugging one’s shoulders. Not a remotely logical stance.
Kill people?? What are you talking about?

Old 12-22-2017, 04:11 PM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
So let the FDA do their job and determine what happened. I’m for that. And for stiff penalties and even closing of pharma companies if warranted. Why would anyone be against ensuring that companies products are safe and their claims are true? How can that be a bad thing??
So tell me, what about prescriptions that are known to cause serious side effects and even death in a percentage of people? How is that okay?

If you're the one who is hurt, too bad, so sad, it was in the fine print. You should have known it was a roll of the dice.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I don’t know how many either but it’s a lot. And 100% of your posts are based on anecdotal evidence or links to sites where one can buy supplements. Sorry, but I find you so biased I’ve quit listening. Your lack of logical thinking is evident. You claim no side effects. Ok, but perhaps that’s because they do NOTHING. Or maybe not. I hope the FDA can shed some light on it in the form of scientific information.
There is no evidence.

So how do you know it's a lot? What sources have you cited that have determined that people have been injured or killed by homeopathic remedies?

There is an article in JAMA -- the official publication of the American Medical Association -- that offers evidence that 100,000 are killed every year from FDA approved drugs.

Have they also published an article on homeopathic remedies? Surely if this is common and ERs are seeing lots of patients coming in that someone somewhere in some hospital would have noted these occurrences.

So where are the statistics? Where's the proof that tons of people are dying/sick from homeopathic remedies?

Again, there is NO evidence.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Again, we SHOULD be left alone to work on our health issues as we choose too.

If someone wants to work with homeopathics for their cancer issues, let them. It's their life and they will make it or they won't...same goes with the drug path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Kill people?? What are you talking about?
See above. Some posters think it’s ok if Homeopathic remedies mean some doesn’t “make it”. I believe that’s a
euphemism for they die. I’m not OK with false claims of cure made to vulnerable, sick people. Oncologists give people odds when they’re diagnosed with cancer based on the treatment. Do Homeopathic cancer “treatments” do the same or do they promise cures based on basically nothing? No scientific studies. No gathering of how long people live on their “cures”. No data at all other than anecdotal and websites geared to selling people hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness